M&P Crayons

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grrrrreat ... one more thing to haul to craft shows!! they're too cute. i've already searched for the shaper and there's someone selling them on e-bay for $1.99/each. Just so you know!

I make a crayon soap just like that well different colors and put them 4 to a package and I use the left over for a soap that I actually call confetti:-) People Love them.. Though when you make alot of them I made 100 packages of them at one time that is 400 crayons to package man oh man were my hands tired:-) I love the color of that one have fun sharpening hee! hee!

Guest jurnalynn

had a quick question about the color you used for these? and does it work the same way the ones you buy with being able to write with them?

Laura

I made some of these for my Grandson and used heavy construction paper the same colors for the labels as the crayons were. I made blue, red, green, yellow and purple. I colored the crayons with oxides and FD&C coloring, they were dark and wrote (marked) well. They melted pretty fast. I don't know why, maybe I should have used more beeswax I don't know.

I used blue paper (not blue ink) with this one. I put them in a small plactic bag and made a label that was the width of the bag folded it over and stapled it shut.

bluecrayon1.jpg

Yah, I'm also wondering if these actually "write"??

I know that Deb mentioned that hers did, but I know a lot of others couldn't get theirs to do so.

Also, wonder if using stearic would make them harder and/or last longer. ??

Yah, I'm also wondering if these actually "write"??

I know that Deb mentioned that hers did, but I know a lot of others couldn't get theirs to do so.

Also, wonder if using stearic would make them harder and/or last longer. ??

Mine do not write and I'm not sure what to use to make them write. I used Peaks Blue UM (I'm at work and dont' know the exact name) to get this color.

I put stearic in all of my M&P because for me it's just too soft and doesn't last long enough without using it.

Also when I make more of these, the wrappers will match the color of the "crayon" better, I just didnt' have any at the time I made these.

My son is still "testing" these for me, so I know exactly how they bubble, how long they last, if they are easy to use, etc... So far so good. :)

Mine wrote but they melted so fast. I used melt and pour and added beeswax hoping to firm them up. But they didnt last long at all.

They were dark, I used a lot of mica and FD&C to make them to where they would write on the side of the tub, maybe I used too much. I also added scent and probably shouldn't have.

Mine wrote but they melted so fast. I used melt and pour and added beeswax hoping to firm them up. But they didnt last long at all.

They were dark, I used a lot of mica and FD&C to make them to where they would write on the side of the tub, maybe I used too much. I also added scent and probably shouldn't have.

I scented mine, but I've heard that if you make them dark enough to color the side of the tub, they also color the wash cloth and the kid. LOL - I'm sure there is a way to do it without that hassle though.

Guest jurnalynn

when trying to find a recipe on the net i ran across this

Bathtub Crayons

YOU WILL NEED:

Two 3.1oz Bars Ivory Soap

Cheese Grator

1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil

3 Tbsp Water

2 Tsp Food Coloring

Wax Paper

HOW TO MAKE IT:

1. Grate the bars of soap using the smallest hole on your cheese grator

2. Place the soap shavings, vegetable oil & water in a saucepan

3. Heat the ingredients on med-low. Stir constantly with a spoon until the soap melts and the mixture is doughy

4. Mix in the food coloring

5. Remove from heat

6. Spoon the soap out of the saucepan and onto a plate or baking pan. Soak the saucepan and spoon in hot water ( do it right away or it will never come clean )

7. When the soap is cool enough to handle , knead it with your hands for aprox. 1 minute

8. Divide the soap into 4 sections ( or 2 sections for chunky crayons )

9. Roll the soap into log shapes, then roll a piece of wax paper around each log

10. Put the crayons into the fridge to harden ( aprox. 1 hour )

SIDE NOTES

Use these to color in the bathtub - be sure to clean the tub walls with soap and water when you're finished ( STORAGE NOTE : Store these in an airtight container in the fridge for aprox. 2 weeks )

i was hoping to make from scratch but if it works from here i might give it a try but for those of u who make your own soap u could use that

I scented mine, but I've heard that if you make them dark enough to color the side of the tub, they also color the wash cloth and the kid. LOL - I'm sure there is a way to do it without that hassle though.

It didn't color him LOL but I was concerned about that. He didn't use them on the wash cloth, he used other soap and just played with these. So I don't know if it would color the wash cloth or not. I think they probably would have.

I wonder if you could use crayons to actually color them? I have used a soy crayon to color my soap before. It may harden and color at the same time.

Well I tried it with a small amount of M&P. Didn't have a shape like a crayon but used hearts. Used about 1 1/2 inch red crayon with 4-5 Honey M&P. Looked good, did write on the wall but at a light shade, rinsed off fine. Also tried with the M&P like cp and it looked good also. The color took very nice and I would think a couple would color a lb of soap easily and be a heck of a lot cheaper than mica. As far as lasting, my grandkids won't be here till the week end so don't know. Might add a little coco butter for their skin since I'm sure they will be in the tub longer than usual. I'm going to go get a shower with it now just to see what a wash cloth looks like, but the bubbles were not too colored.

trish...you gonna shrink each one individually? That's a lot of work and you probably won't be selling them one at a time.

I think you'll save yourself a lot of grief and aggravation packaging as sets of 3, 4 or 5. Just my opinion, of course.