Whipped Soap Question....

Angel91805

So, I've been eyeing Nizzy's tutorial for too long now. I wanna dip my feet in and try whipped soap. Just to say I did. LOL. I was going to use this recipe from his site:

Crisco 9.5oz

cocoa butter 2 oz

shea butter 2 oz

coconut 9.5 oz

castor 1 oz

rice bran 2.5 oz

lye 4 oz

water 10 oz

Now...I converted that to % and put it into soap calc. In order for the lye to be 4 ounces, we are looking at a .5% superfat. Now...is this normal to not superfat whipped soap? Should I? What about adding silk to the lye water, will that work?

TIA!

Donna

Angel, look at your superfat % again. It should be reading 5% instead of .5% hun.

As far as the silk fibers go, try your first batch without, so you can get a feel for it and then do a batch with it. Not sure if it will hamper anything or not, so the only way to know is to give it a try. But I would do a batch without it first. (Then, send a bar of each to me and I'll get back to you on the results, lol.)

I'm using soapmaker and I have my discount set at 5%. The lye comes out at 3.82 HTH

I also have pics from using the silicone mold, but don't have them uploaded yet. It's not quite a week in the mold, but I'm giving the other 2 roses (out of 3) another few days. I will be back and post pics so you can decide if you want to try using a silicone one or not.

Here is a pic of my silicone mold and roses.

[ATTACH]15120[/ATTACH]

The small thin rose, top left, was taken out of the mold the day after it was poured. Notice how much was left in the mold (left hand mold cavity). Today, I took one full rose out of the mold, bottom left, and see it's corresponding cavity, right hand side. There is still a bit of the soap left in the one I unmolded today (originally poured mold on Mar. 12, so almost a week). So I'm going to leave the other 2 roses in there about 3 or 4 more days and then check one of them.

I hope this helps you with deciding whether to use a silicone mold or not, cuz it may tie your mold up for a bit.

post-9049-139458444254_thumb.jpg

Actually, at 5% superfat, the standard that soapcalc is set at, the lye is 3.82 oz, not 4 oz. only when I put the superfat to .5% (less than 1%, it wasn't a typo!) does the lye go to 4 oz.

If it calls for 3.82 then use 3.8. Don't go up to 4.

As for the roses.. while I haven't tried it personally myself with that mold, you could try using some mineral oil. It won't saponify.

May make it easier to release and keep the rose petals on the soap.

Have you tried putting them in the freezer? In Nizzy's site it says to put them in the freezer for 12 hours right after pouring it. Then to avoid condensation on them put them in a plastic bag zip lock bag until room temp as the condensation will go on the bag not the soaps. They will come out easier and whole then.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I used Pam spray in the rose molds.

LL, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I now recall reading that. I think I will put these in the freezer overnight (if I can make room in there) and see what happens with one of them tomorrow. :)

Yes, Pam can saponify, but with a 5% superfat already in the soap, if a smidge of Pam decides to join in then so be it. Besides, Pam has a spray nozzle on it... mineral oil doesn't, and well, I'm just impatient like that and all for convenience. ;)