Foamy bubbles in the melt pool?

Hey Everyone,

I was given a soy candle as a gift from someone (they didn't know I have been making my own) so I decided to burn it today. After burning the candle for two hours, I noticed there are tiny bubbles within the melt pool. They are collecting away from the flames (it's a double wicked 9 oz tumbler). The bubbles and melt pool are almost to the point of being "foamy" - and I'm just perplexed by this as I've never seen it before.

Does anyone know what causes this? Is it possible that it's an additive within the soy? I haven't used USA or any additives myself so I've never had this experience before. I'm just REALLY curious about it!

Thanks!

Faith

The "spitty" look is common with soy-based waxes. While it is common as the melt pool develops, it usually ceases with full melt pool. I think of it as a transitional occurrence when the temp is not quite warm enough in the melt pool yet - not sure if that is really the case, just how it seems to me.:)

The "spitty" look is common with soy-based waxes. While it is common as the melt pool develops, it usually ceases with full melt pool. I think of it as a transitional occurrence when the temp is not quite warm enough in the melt pool yet - not sure if that is really the case, just how it seems to me.:)

Hi Stella,

You use C3 with USA, right? I just didn't know if additives could be the culprit for this foam since any soy candle I've ever burned/created has never done this.

So another question: soy wax is naturally ivory, right? (Well, in most cases that I've seen it anyway.) I've tested CB135 and C3 and both cool naturally to a creamy ivory. This candle is whiter than white! Can soys vary by color when in their natural state or is there a dye that makes it white? Will adding white BW brighten the wax?

I just have all sorts of questions today! :smiley2:

You use C3 with USA, right? I just didn't know if additives could be the culprit for this foam since any soy candle I've ever burned/created has never done this.

Yes, I frequently use USA (JBN). If you do a search, you will find lots of previous discussion about this characteristic of soy-based waxes from many different sources. Some brands may do this more than other brands. I have never read a definitive conclusion as to why this occurs.

So another question: soy wax is naturally ivory, right? (Well, in most cases that I've seen it anyway.) I've tested CB135 and C3 and both cool naturally to a creamy ivory. This candle is whiter than white!

NatureWax C3 has always appeared just off-white to me and the color has been consistant with every case I have puchased. Perhaps other soy-based waxes are more ivory... I dunno. It makes a nice white candle with no color added and a REAL white candle if one uses white dye. :shocked2: I doubt white beeswax would make it any whiter, but it would make it a lot harder if used in sufficient quantity to color the C3...;)

Remember: NatureWax C3 is not "soy" wax - it is Premium Vegetable Candle Wax". The ingredients from their TDS are: "INGREDIENT STATMENT: Hydrogenated Vegetable Glycerides". In fact, today I couldn't even find where they are calling it vegetable wax on their website any more - it is now called a "premium natural candle wax.":whistle:;)

Remember: NatureWax C3 is not "soy" wax - it is Premium Vegetable Candle Wax". The ingredients from their TDS are: "INGREDIENT STATMENT: Hydrogenated Vegetable Glycerides". In fact, today I couldn't even find where they are calling it vegetable wax on their website any more - it is now called a "premium natural candle wax.":whistle:;)

Yeah, I just love how it's a "Premium Vegetable Candle Wax" - LOL!

Hey Everyone,

I was given a soy candle as a gift from someone (they didn't know I have been making my own) so I decided to burn it today. After burning the candle for two hours, I noticed there are tiny bubbles within the melt pool. They are collecting away from the flames (it's a double wicked 9 oz tumbler). The bubbles and melt pool are almost to the point of being "foamy" - and I'm just perplexed by this as I've never seen it before.

I noticed this with a handmade candle I bought. I could pretty much tell it had been made with C-3. There were a lot of holes and air bubbles. When experimenting with different soy wax I did notice that this was pretty characteristc of the C-3. But it does have a really good scent throw.

I noticed this with a handmade candle I bought. I could pretty much tell it had been made with C-3. There were a lot of holes and air bubbles. When experimenting with different soy wax I did notice that this was pretty characteristc of the C-3. But it does have a really good scent throw.

I'm exprimenting with C3 now and I haven't yet had this happen to me...I suppose it might only be a matter of time though. This candle with the foam was a hand poured candle as well, and interestingly enough from a woman who makes and sells them fairly close to where I'm located. I imagine that since I get my C3 from a local supplier without having to pay shipping, that she might be getting her wax from the same vendor...and she only offers Naturewax. ;)

It's a sign of two things: with lots of air bubbles in the melt pool

The person pouring the candles is either pour too cool and the wax is setting up before the air can escape.

The person is pouring in a very cold room and the wax is setting up too quickly for the air bubbles to escape. this only happens when I pour in a very cold basement.

That why I do a two pour system.

Fire

It is not just a C3 issue. It happens with lots of soy candles, and while it may be from what the mfg add in, it isn't from additives that we add. I've had it happen with 415, which is food grade soy oil - no additives. In fact, I haven't seen it since I started using Universal Soy Additive. I noticed it mostly when the candle is first lit and the room temp is fairly cool and 415 was much worse than C3.