Shipping Candle Baskets

Holly

I was wondering how candle baskets can be shipped without the insides (products) of the basket getting messed up from the box being tossed around. I did a search and I see a lot of baskets online that look like the items would fall around just the same as I am sure mine would. How can they be shipped so they arrive in tack? Thanks for any tips. :)

Most places that ship gift baskets (ie. Harry & David, so on), use pre-made form or plastic basket inserts that hold the items in place. They also sometimes use a dab of hot glue for smaller times like bags of candy or lil jelly jars.

Most places that ship gift baskets (ie. Harry & David, so on), use pre-made form or plastic basket inserts that hold the items in place. They also sometimes use a dab of hot glue for smaller times like bags of candy or lil jelly jars.

Thanks. Yes, that is true how most big boys do it, but I don't think I would be able to go the plastic insert route.....for one it somewhat takes away the look, plus I would be making all different sizes and would place things differently in different baskets, and it would be expensive to have done. I ran a search online for candle gift baskets and I see all kinds that look like the items are loose. How would they ship those?

Just make sure that your items are packed tightly in the basket... use some decorative eco-friendly :tongue2: packing material, like moss, oasis, or something like that to fill the baskets, then either wrap the basket in cello, or something like that... you should be fine.

Thanks. Yes, that is true how most big boys do it, but I don't think I would be able to go the plastic insert route.....for one it somewhat takes away the look, plus I would be making all different sizes and would place things differently in different baskets, and it would be expensive to have done. I ran a search online for candle gift baskets and I see all kinds that look like the items are loose. How would they ship those?

If I were shipping one, I'd pack the stuff in snug and use the glue dots to stick the items together. Either shrink wrap the basket or wrap it very snug in cellophane. Then box it with packed peanuts or snug, full bubble wrap. I've never done it but this is how I would try.

I guess I'll get a delivery report on her basket from Mel when she finally decides to stroll down the isle. :cool2:

I think that'd work fine!

If I were shipping one, I'd pack the stuff in snug and use the glue dots to stick the items together. Either shrink wrap the basket or wrap it very snug in cellophane. Then box it with packed peanuts or snug, full bubble wrap. I've never done it but this is how I would try.

I guess I'll get a delivery report on her basket from Mel when she finally decides to stroll down the isle. :cool2:

Thanks for the tips.....and your tips as well Mochamama. :) Everyone is probably wondering why it seems like I am making this so difficult. It is hard to explain what I mean. I have pasted a picture of a basket I did last fall for a donation auction. I ended up wrapping it in a cello bag and tied it at the top with the matching flower, leaves and an added ribbon, etc. There is no way I could ship something like this wrapped in a cell bag and I do not know how I would shrink wrap it without smashing the decor. Even if I did not have to worry about embellishments the handle is in the way to shrink wrap it close to the products. Also, even if I could shrink wrap it to ship, some of the items would definitely move around. I don't think glue dots would be strong enough for some of the items and then the shred would probably bounce around anyway. If I left the wrap off I could pack it real well with peanuts but what a mess for the customer to have to take all the peanuts out from around the items and it would probably get messed up in the process. The baskets I am working on right now are not this big but the placement of items is somewhat similiar. Some are way smaller with smaller items. There is decor but not the kind that would get messed up as easlily as the one below....except there is a butterfly as well...I love butterflies! I would like to figure this out, as I REALLY love making baskets!

fallbasket640x480sharpebw4.jpg

Holly,

That is a beautiful basket!

When we make our baskets, I crumple paper (that we buy from a moving company) into the basket and press the jars into that, making a "mold" of the jar. We then put the shred over that and put the candle back in, trying to get it to "set" into the pre-formed impression. We did use glue dots between the jars so that they wouldn't hit each other, and to try to keep the items in place.

The handle baskets are more difficult to do because you don't have the pressure of the shrinkwrap to help you hold things in place. I am not sure if this will work, but could you take the shrinkwrap and just put it over the items in the basket, tape the bottom, and try to shrinkwrap it that way?

I hope you can figure out a way to do it, because that is just one gorgeous basket!!

Maybe we need to order a big basket from "you know who", examine it when it arrives, then return it to the store. Is that "unethical"??? LOL

Holly,

That is a beautiful basket!

When we make our baskets, I crumple paper (that we buy from a moving company) into the basket and press the jars into that, making a "mold" of the jar. We then put the shred over that and put the candle back in, trying to get it to "set" into the pre-formed impression. We did use glue dots between the jars so that they wouldn't hit each other, and to try to keep the items in place.

The handle baskets are more difficult to do because you don't have the pressure of the shrinkwrap to help you hold things in place. I am not sure if this will work, but could you take the shrinkwrap and just put it over the items in the basket, tape the bottom, and try to shrinkwrap it that way?

I hope you can figure out a way to do it, because that is just one gorgeous basket!!

Maybe we need to order a big basket from "you know who", examine it when it arrives, then return it to the store. Is that "unethical"??? LOL

Thank you, Jane, for the compliment. :) I worked so hard on that basket. When it was all done I was so afraid that it was going to get messed up in the transition from the auction table to where ever it went.

It looks like you understand my problem. What you suggested is what I was thinking about earlier today......cover it somehow before I put the peanuts in. I agree about the handle. It makes it difficult to shrink wrap it. I have thought about trying to wrap just the body but was unsure how to go about it. I don't know how to shrink wrap at all and I am sure it can get expensive to learn how.....messing up one bag or wrap after the other. lol I will have to do some trial packaging with the new spring baskets that I am working on and see what I can come up with.

"Maybe we need to order a big basket from "you know who", examine it when it arrives, then return it to the store. Is that "unethical"??? LOL

This made me chuckle. lol The only thing is, I am sure the shipping cost would be the pits.

Thanks again! :)

Since you can't get custom molded pieces to fit your products for shipping, the next option is to go with a flat basket--no handle, and shrink wrap it. Place the items flat (on its back), not upright and secure with Glue dots, and firmly pack all spaces with shredded paper, then with a layer of shrink wrap over top it keeps things in place.

Wood serving trays also make a nice option. A lot of times you can pick them us just as cheaply as you can baskets, and they can look a lot higher end.

The thing that I like about using flat baskets, besides that they are easier to pack, is that your products are what is highlighted, not the basket.

The only way I would even think about keeping those items in place as they are would be to use wire, criss-cross over each item, attached to the bottom of the basket, which wouldn't be very attractive.

Sockmonkey, I have looked at those trays and thought they would be a great idea - just never tried them! Pier 1 had some on sale after Christmas...will have to keep my eye out for some more and give it a whirl! It would be nice to do something a little different than the baskets.

Holly, I have never tried what I suggested in regard to just covering the basket part and leaving the handle uncovered. :undecided If you wanted to try it, they do sell the shrink wrap at Michaels. They also have the basket shrink wrap at the dollar stores. It took us awhile to get the hang of it - definitely a learning experience. :smiley2: