two different business names...would you??

tootie04

You know tootie, I've been seriously contemplating this. I'm still in my beginning stages of my bath and body area and am thinking it may be better to 'brand' it under a different name. You know, like Unilever has many different products with different brands but under one main company.

I'm thinking to have Jadewicks as my main brand and then having another name for my bath and body but it would still be under the Jadewicks 'brand' if that makes sense.

I'm curious to know what others are thinking. I know that many just use the one name, but it's definately something that would be interesting to know if other's have toyed with the idea as well.

We recently contemplated that, too. We changed everything to Periwinkle Lane - we have 3 branches of that - Bath House on Peiwinkle Lane, Periwinkle Lane Candle Company and the Artful Moniker of Periwinkle Lane. Our new logo is an old building with 3 storefronts - pretty cool and it shows the difference things we do........it is just fun!! It was a real PITA changing all of the labels!!!

Suzie

I know in Michigan when you file for a name you can write in any other names that your business might operate under, therefore, one tax ID for all the names you use. That way you can file taxes only under the parent company name not each seperate name. And it also registers all of your names so that other companies in the area cant use it.

You should check with your local government offices and see if it's done the same.

I have two business names. My store name is Candles Soaps & Stuff, which is my original name, and my candle & soap line is Northern Candle Company. My official name is Candles Soaps & Stuff and that's what my tax id is under. Northern Candle Company is a dba. I registered that with the state for $25.00 or something like that. So, all of my candles and soaps have Northern Candle Company on them.

Hope this Helps

I think it's a fine idea and normal way to do things.

If your original name is very specific to one kind of product category it can be stiffling when you branch out into other products. So it would probably be in your best interest to have a separate entity that would make more sense. A large part of product recognition and branding is when the customer can easily associate the name to the product. Think of all the suppliers that have entirely different labeling and company names for the specific sides of their business. Works well for them!:)