Test Burning

How do you test your containers  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How do you test your containers

• burn from beginning to end
    • only fill a few ounces
    • don't test ??
    • or just pray it works

As I am thinking about it, I have never had the old style sturdier mason jars crack or break. Just the newer style thinner glass ones.

Yep. The only new ones I have ever had crack were ones that I set on a surface that was too cold. I never had one of the old style crack whether it was new or had been used many times...

But be that as it may, a cracked candle container can cause an unexpected, immediate fire hazard. And should the worst occur, I don't think "Consumers who want their containers refilled can be assured that their containers have been heat tested before filling as well" will hold up as a legal defense in a product liability suit. :undecided

What I have began to do is test 1# wax with additives, fo and color then pour a few ounces into each of my jar sizes as a PRE test to check for correct wicking and scent throw. Typically the container is filled over half full with this batch size. If after 3 burns using the 1" per hour rule to assure wicking is correct and the throw is what I am looking for THEN I pour a complete set of candle sizes with the wick of choice and burn top to bottom before adding to my line. I choose this method cause some fo's I didn't care for once in wax or couldn't get wicked, and I felt I was wasting alot $$$ and time. It is an added step in testing but it is working well for me. Very rarely do I get variances in a full candle after doing the pre-test, but it does happen occasionally. I will keep an eye on this thread to see others responses, I too am always looking for keen new ideas.

I do the it the same way Brenda described. I went through several fragrances that didn't throw at all and realized that I was wasting a lot of time, wax, etc.

I do reuse my testing jars over and over. I do not offer refills to customers, they only get new jars. The primary reason for this is because I just know they'd be bringing in dirty jars, wax left in them, etc and it would really be too much work for me to clean them. Call me lazy, I guess :cheesy2:

However, I do agree that exploding jars would not be good. LOL!