Goat milk soap question

diamondk

If the weather permits I am going to try and do a goat milk soap this weekend. My question is do you add the goat milk before or after you take out soap for your colors? I hope I ask that right. I am going by Crafty1_AJ method. TIA

Are you not using the goat milk for your lye solution? If you are using concentrated and adding it after you add your lye/liquid, it should be added to your whole batch...meaning before you take any out for coloring.

Are you not using the goat milk for your lye solution? If you are using concentrated and adding it after you add your lye/liquid, it should be added to your whole batch...meaning before you take any out for coloring.

Yes I am using the can gm its been in the refrig for a couple of weeks.

LovelyLathers...does it have to go in the refrig or freezer? Since these is the first time making this can't I just let it sit out of the way? TIA

Everyone has their own way of doing things so I'll tell you what works for me.

If I use GMP - I stick blend into the oils before I add lye solution.

If I use liquid milk - I freeze the milk add the lye and continously stir till dissolved, add to oils (that are ready before lye is added to milk) then proceed as usual.

I gel all my soaps and 99% are milk soaps. No freezer or fridge for me to worry with.

Yes I am using the can gm its been in the refrig for a couple of weeks.

LovelyLathers...does it have to go in the refrig or freezer? Since these is the first time making this can't I just let it sit out of the way? TIA

It doesn't have too. I don't let my gm gel. I have had a few do a partial gel thing when I don't put it in the refrig. I had one last week with honey in it too that went to partial gel in the refrig. I usually put it in the freezer but I didn't have room. Next time i will make sure to make room for it! I now have 24 bars of OMH for myself I can't sell it, it's a mess. DO you have a cool garage or basement you can put it in? I find my GM soap is creamier, nicer feel and doesn't overheat, no cracks, and nicer color when it does not gel. Everyone has their own way so you will have to play to get what you like. I do love the Canned as opposed to the powder and the ice cube method. I have tried all ways many times.

editted to add: I see you are in GA so no chance of a cool garage. How about some ice cubes in a cooler to help keep it cool?

I find my GM soap is creamier, nicer feel and doesn't overheat, no cracks, and nicer color when it does not gel.

Same here with mine. I try to never gel my gm soaps, otherwise they tend to always crack on me if not partial gel (which is UG-LY) LOL

I've never used powder or canned milk though. My cousin has a sheep/goat farm and she houses my Alpine Nanny goat, so I use her milk. I love my gm soaps as much as i love my nanny. :)

My first GM soap will have to wait till tomorrow. I do have a shelf in my freezer cleaned off and ready to go though. The weather here is quite iffy today since we had storms this morning and suppose to get more this afternoon. :sad2:

Why would you not want your gm soap to gel?

Gellin can make gm soaps darker, they can sometimes over heat (because milk tends to cause soap to be hotter as it is) causing cracks or even the "alien brains" look or if it goes to partial gel, parts will be darker than the other parts making them not look consistant throughout the bars.

You can gel the gm soaps and they'll be fine.

I guess it's all about how you want your soaps to look as to whether you gel or not.

I put mine in overnight. Because you let it gel does not mean it will be ugly! I have some that went to gel because I left it out and is ok. I was glad I didn't get a partial gel That is UGLY!!! Also if you color your soaps and you gel gel it makes them not as nice since the soap turns darker. If you add honey to the mix then it will definatly overheat.. I put that in the freezer with out a doubt.

I see. Well I put my gm soap in the oven today so I guess I'll have some fugly soaps. lol

Do you all actually put it in the freezer to set up? For how long??

No, you wont necessarily have ugly soaps. Like LovelyLathers said, if you colored them, the color may get lost because they go darker.

I don't usually put mine in the freezer, but I def. put them in the fridge and usually for 24 hours, sometimes longer depending on how busy I am at the 24hour mark.

I've made several GM soaps and I add the goats milk after I make sure the lye water portion of my recipe is fully incorporated into the oils. Keep the GM cold but not frozen and add it when all else is incorporated. I stuck mine in the frindge for 14 hours and NO GEL! But I didn't add any color either.

AJ's recipe is AWESOME! I'm using a bar of it my shower now and I LOVE IT!

Fire:cheesy2:

I use 100% goat milk for the liquid and have had some not gel but most gel. In the slab mold they are lighter even if they gel. No need to cover or insulate. Learned that the hard way. 100% Goat milk soap gets way too hot if covered. If the soap does not gel, it is much softer and has to stay in the mold longer. At least that has been my experience.

I have decided to embrace the tan color.

My goatsmilk bars outsell all my other soaps combined. I make them with 100% goatsmilk with a combination of an e/o and a fragrance oil and don't add any color but I add cocoa butter as an ingredient which makes all the difference in the bar. They are not gelled and I cut them after 48 hours. I get the goatsmilk free and I pour the milk into baggies and lay them flat in the freezer. Also are my favorite bars to use especially in the wintertime as it prevents my skin from flaking in the cold weather.

Gel and GM is a preference. Sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter. I have put soaps in the fridge to keep from gelling (because some of my liquid colors morph or disappear in a hot GM gel) and they heat up when I take them out after 12 hours!

Even if they gel I usually can get pretty white bars, even with 100% fresh GM. Whiteness also depends on how cool you soap to begin with, what oils you use etc. For the whitest bars I prefer a recipe with mostly lard and coconut.