Vegetable Soap Recipe from Grocery Store Oils?

patka

I would like to try to make my own soap. I have searched some threads here, but I could not find an answer to this. Is there a recipe that would only contain plant sourced ingredients (no lard) and I could actually go to a local store to get the ingredients for it? I know I can get coconut, olive, sesame, some cooking oils... I do not recall seeing palm oil, is this something that can be found locally? If yes, which store carries it, or is there something else I could use instead of palm? I would also like to avoid using hydrogenated fat if possible. If you have a recipe, would you please share it with me? Thanks so much.

Eugenia has recipe under the tutorials section that is made with store bought oils. If a recipe calls for lard you can sub veg shortening. Just make sure you run the recipe through a reliable soap calculator first. As far as the palm I can't help on that one

Thanks for pointing me to Eugenia's tutorial. Is there any oil instead of shortening that can be used if someone would like to avoid hydrogenated fat as well? I wonder if that comes back to palm oil. I will look more in the stores. I order in bulk candle wax, but that company does not offer soaping supplies like palm oil. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks a lot.

Strangely enough, in order for hydrogenated (and trans-) fats to wreak havoc with your cholesterol, etc., you have to eat them.

Plus the vast majority of fats in soap are no longer fats by the time they are soap... does that statement make sense? What I'm saying is, when you expose fats to lye you chemically alter the fats to the point they are soap and not fats any longer. Called saponification.

ETA: palm oil doesn't need to be hydrogenated cause it's plenty saturated on its own...

I don't know if you have any specialty food markets around. African, Indian and Filipino markets are a good shot for palm oil.

Thanks Eugenia, I have not thought about that. We do have an Asian market nearby, I will check it out.:smiley2: