C&S Candlemaking Workshop

Anyone signed up for the candlesandsupplies candle making workshops on the weekend of March 29th?

I'm full up with some cool looking classes and I can't wait.

I'd love to meet some boardies there face to face !!!:whoohoo:

Stealing Draco's handle again (really should create my own)...

Draco and I only found out about those workshops a few weeks ago and most of what we were interested in was booked up, but since they're less then 30 mins from us, we're hopeful for next year. Hope you enjoy the classes.

We are heading down. Due to our "finances" my business partner will be taking a class - I will just be hanging around!

Do they have any of the warehouse open when they have these classes? Will I be able to "sniff around"? :tongue2: We also wanted to pick up supplies while we were there. It is about five hours away from us.

Ohhh, and Candlewic doesn't seem that far from Candles and Supplies...I wanted to try some of their pillar wax!

Would have been great if I could have gotten Friday off of work to leave early and check them out!

They have a showroom with all their sniffie samples out front. You can order at the front desk. Don't think their warehouse will be open to the public. That would be risky of them to have folks strolling around while forklifts are moving about.

I've been meaning to go to the workshop but haven't had the time or money yet. Instead I have taken a few classes in the past. They have pretty good one day classes there.

I know theu have Saturday hours. I don't know if they will extend their store front hours during the workshop. This is my first workshop there so I don't really know what to expect.

My friend Pauline and I signed up early so we got a lot of classes to go to. Their is only 1 hour on Saturday that we skipped because nothing interested us.

What class did your partner sign up for? I'm wondering if it's the same as one of ours.

They don't have Saturday hours right now. We made the mistake of not reading their hours to find out that they're only open on Saturday seasonally. If I remember correctly, the last Saturday they were open was the last Saturday of February. They may make an exception for that weekend though.

I know theu have Saturday hours. I don't know if they will extend their store front hours during the workshop. This is my first workshop there so I don't really know what to expect.

My friend Pauline and I signed up early so we got a lot of classes to go to. Their is only 1 hour on Saturday that we skipped because nothing interested us.

What class did your partner sign up for? I'm wondering if it's the same as one of ours.

She does all of our books, so she signed up for the excel worksheet class...nothing FUN!! LOL She is really hoping that this will help get everything sorted out and that she will be able to spend less time on it! She may be taking one other one - not sure yet.

I really hope the store front is open...there are a few scents that we want to check out. We started with their FO's - have stuck with quite a few that work really well for us.

They don't have Saturday hours right now. We made the mistake of not reading their hours to find out that they're only open on Saturday seasonally. If I remember correctly, the last Saturday they were open was the last Saturday of February. They may make an exception for that weekend though.

Oh, that's right..I had forgotten all about them being open on Saturdays seasonally. I hope they do make an exception for that weekend. I will be emailing them to be sure - we wanted to be able to pick up the wax at least, but probably won't arrive until after hours on Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my business partner did take the excel class, and it was a disappointment. The instructor even said at the end of the class that she was not happy with how it went and she would try to get at least half of the fee back.

On a good note, though, I was able to really get a chance to look around, pick up some things I wanted to try and meet a few people that I have only emailed or talked to on the phone.

We did pick up 6 cases of wax - and boy, was that a bear trying to get it out of the car and into the basement of the townhouse!!! We definitely need to hire someone to do that part....I am limping around today....apparently I am in worse shape than I thought!!! lol

Anyone take the excel class? If so, what was your impression?

Any other good classes that you would recommend for next year, if they are offered?

I had an AWESOME time!!!!*getdown*

I was really impressed with the Workshop and will definitely be back next year. I'm reluctant to post this only because I don't want the classes I want filling up before I get to register.

I took

TIFFANNY CANDLES

SOY MASSAGE CANDLES

FIRE STARTER DEMO (was free)

LANDSCAPE CANDLES POURED METHOD

CANDLE BUSINESS TIPS A-Z (also free)

HOW TO SET UP SHOWS

CORAL REEF LACE CANDLE DEMO

SAND CANDLES

First off when we got there we were given a goodie bag and these nice aprons to wear and keep. There was plenty of food and refreshments provided. Most of the courses seemed to go off very smoothly. We even had time to try our hand at a second tiffany candle.

Diana Furman who taught the Tiffany and Landscape class was fabulous. Her ideas and techniques floored me. Never in a million years would I have of thought of doing the things she showed us and they were amazingly simple.

My favorite class was the Landscape Poured Method. Immediately after the class I bought a 4X6 round polycarb mold to play with.

I even signed up for that one last (just a week before the workshop) and boy am I ever glad I did!

The Coral Reef was my second favorite class. Eventhough it was only a demo (no candle to take home) I just can't wait to play when I get home. Again really simply techniques and wonderful tips and suggestions. Noreen Hill who taught that and the Sand Candle class was terrific too.

The sand candles we made were kind of a flop because the sand they found locally was too fine. But still now I do know how to make them and creative easy ways to dress them up. Also Noreen who makes silicon molds gave us a votive flower pot plug which retails for almost as much as the class so all-in-all still IMO more than worth it

I hoped to meet some boardies there but I unfortunately did not. Hopefully next year. I certainly talked about CT to some of the candle makers I met there.

I learned so much and really enjoyed all the classes. I even got an amazing amount of info out of the free courses. I skipped only one hour out of the whole workshop, which was great because it gave me time to shop and sniff some of the fragrance specials they had for $5 a pound.

They were very accomidating about the shopping. I put my order in at the store on Saturday. Even was able to add a mold after the Landscape class :wink2: and they had everything ready for us to pick-up around back by the time we finished Sunday afternoon.

So that's my critique in a nutshell. Feel free to ask me any questions about it.

Cheers,

J

Sounds like you had a great, and informative, time!!

Now that we know how it all works, and were able to talk to a few people there, I would definitely like to take some of the classes next year.

Like I said before, the class Sandy took was disappointing, but it was an experience to go there, check things out, listen to how the classes were going, and - of course - SHOP!! lol It was worth the 5 1/2 hour drive!

I am glad I am so close to the shop. I have to say wereas I did not get to take any classes this year, I love the ladies at the shop, they have always been helpfull and infomative.

They were all extremely nice - from the sales people to the young man who loaded our car with cases of wax! Even though it was a crazy day, they took the time to show me the newer reed diffusers and get my orders through quickly so we could be on our way after the class.

I had not been able to find a scent online that we had ordered in the past - I thought it was discontinued and I was bummed because it wasn't a great seller, but it was MY FAVORITE! They found the person who deals with the fragrances right away and she assured me they still had it and found me a bottle of it right away. I did check the website and it was there....:rolleyes2 but I could SWEAR it wasn't when I did my order a few months ago....:laugh2:.