Cost of label design?

Guest LightofDawn

I'm interested in this too. I spent quite a bit of time trying to design my own and lets just say I stink at it.

It depends on who you go with. Some people here have designed labels/logos for $35, but if you go to a professional printing company or ad agency and have them do it they generally work $85 and up per hour.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking - per hour.

It will really depend on the designer. Some charge by project and others by hour. I'd say when you find someone who has a portfolio full of variety, you're going to look to spend more especially when custom graphics come into play.

As with oversoyed, I wouldn't charge more than $75 for package design work unless I'm spending more than 4 hours on a particular project. It's hard to pinpoint prices when everyone wants a different mix (custom vs provided artwork, etc) so it will really depend on what you're looking for and how much time it takes to achieve it.

You can even find some great deals if you can find those who charge less for smaller businesses/projects versus a larger scale operation. So, in the end -- LOTS of variables! ;)

You might look at and/or call and talk to Doug at myownlables.com. I have purchased my labels from them and love them!!!! Super great to work with. If your order is over $50.00 they will e-mail you your proofs to makesure everything is the way you want it to be. Very Professional Labels Good-Luck

The woman that designed ours is in her 4th year of college majoring in graphic arts. She also works for a printer part-time, so she was a big help in letting us know which designs would cost more and helping us to narrow down just what items we would order printed and which we would print ourselves.

She wouldn't charge us (she is the sister of my future daughter-in-law), so we made the candles for her wedding and make sure she is well taken care of when she attends one of our shows! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone has given you some really good advice. I worked in media graphic production for years and the one thing that many people don't understand when designing "logos" or "graphics" for labels is the real economical "use ability" of what they want or choose. I could make an awsome graphic that on the computer screen would look great, but translating that to a label application and in this case to commercial press or even worse the home printer - as in a label - it might lose a great deal and actually start looking cluttered, busy or just bad depending on the printer! I have customers that come to me without a clue ~ and for that they will pay more cuz it's going to take me a great deal of time to work up "models" based on their ideas. If you have something in your head, sketch it out, find an artist that is experienced in the press world so they can create something that is going to translate well to print and *this is important* not cost you tons to print - consider spot color and other means of using color in the printing that won't require full process color. If you are going for a logo then remember your artist should provide you the art in various formats and sizes for you to use. I make many logos versatile so my clients can use them in any media, make sure you ask for that of your artist - A good one will take that into consideration. Once you find an artist, ask them to give you a quote and explain all that you want the "work" to do for you. Hope that helps!

Everyone has given you some really good advice. I worked in media graphic production for years and the one thing that many people don't understand when designing "logos" or "graphics" for labels is the real economical "use ability" of what they want or choose. I could make an awsome graphic that on the computer screen would look great, but translating that to a label application and in this case to commercial press or even worse the home printer - as in a label - it might lose a great deal and actually start looking cluttered, busy or just bad depending on the printer! I have customers that come to me without a clue ~ and for that they will pay more cuz it's going to take me a great deal of time to work up "models" based on their ideas. If you have something in your head, sketch it out, find an artist that is experienced in the press world so they can create something that is going to translate well to print and *this is important* not cost you tons to print - consider spot color and other means of using color in the printing that won't require full process color. If you are going for a logo then remember your artist should provide you the art in various formats and sizes for you to use. I make many logos versatile so my clients can use them in any media, make sure you ask for that of your artist - A good one will take that into consideration. Once you find an artist, ask them to give you a quote and explain all that you want the "work" to do for you. Hope that helps!

Good post, so true!!!!