% of fragrance

Would you be overloading the wax is you took say 8oz of wax add 7% fragrance oil ? 8oz times 7%=.56 fragrance/

1LB of wax would yield 20oz...now take 20oz at 7%=1.4 fragrance...do you seen what I mean? Anybody

1 oz fo in 1 lb of wax or 6% is the max I use (usually less), but the type of wax does matter...I use C3...type of wax also changes in amount of volume of flake that = 1 lb of melted. Not all waxes are 20 ounces of volume to equal 1 lb of melted wax, that's why I use a scale.

Would you be overloading the wax is you took say 8oz of wax add 7% fragrance oil ?

Being that you're using 7% of FO for 8oz of wax, it wont overload it. Now, if you calculate 7% FO for 1 lb of wax and add that to 8 oz wax, yes, overload time because it's no longer 7%. Right now I'm too lazy to figure out the new %...lol

Added: Maybe not Overloaded, since it depends on what wax you're using and what the maximum load % for it is....

I'm having a really hard time following anyone in this thread.

CAW - There are 16 oz. in a pound - not 20.

7% of 1 lb =

16 X .07 = 1.12 oz FO

hence the ole standby - 1 ounce per pound.

It's best to weigh your FO but if you stick to even 1 measured ounce (that's by volume) you should still be okay. You may want to go a little less on thick heavy oils like vanilla or more on some of the thinner oils.

If your wax can hold 7% fragrance oil then you wouldn't be overloading it by adding an 1.1 ounce per pound. Some waxes hold more and some hold less. It's best to check with your supplier to see what the fragrance load is. Also additives like vybar help improve the fragrance load.

HTH

CAW - I think you are getting a little mixed up with your figures. But I know where you are coming from with the 20 oz. With the wax I use -

IGI 4786 1 lb (16 oz) of solid wax will equal 20 oz of melted wax. But like someone said, I think if you are using soy it may be different. Seems like I remember reading where it was a little different with soy. But always 1 lb will be 16oz solid or flaked wax and that is what you base your amount of fo and etc on. OK?

CAW, you are into the dreaded land of mixing volume measure with weight. The reason you think that a pound of wax = 20 oz. is because people have written that a pound (16 weighed ounces) of their wax measures about 20 fluid ounces, a volume measurement. Use your scale and stick with adding your ingredients by weight and you won't go wrong. ;)

Oh, where or where is that wonderful little calculator that someone created?? You put your wax in, the percentage of scent and it showed in ounces how much FO to put in??

I saw it, thought I saved it, and cannot find it anywhere!! :confused:

If you use paraffin 1 pound=16oz in weight when melted approx 20 oz. If you use 1 pound of soy wax= approx 18 oz melted. So say the paraffin wax can hold 7% of fragrance then why couldn't an 8oz candle hold 7% fragrance...I realize that the 7% is for the entire pound...but I have been experimenting and I can now say that even my light fragrances which I couldn't get a very good cold or hot throw now are some of my best sellers...and I don't have any leakage of oil in the bottom or the sides of the candle. So go figure&^*(&^. Thanks for all of your replys I was just trying to get everyones sense on this because i know the standard 1oz of fragrance oil per pound....and some waxes can withstand higher %'s. But I wanted to get your take on this calculation. Thanks again for all the replies!!

So say the paraffin wax can hold 7% of fragrance then why couldn't an 8oz candle hold 7% fragrance...I realize that the 7% is for the entire pound...

7% is 7%... however much wax you use.... 7% of 1 lb (16 oz) is 1.12oz. 7% of 8oz is .56 oz.

Are you asking if it would be overloading if you used 14%?

1LB of wax would yield 20oz...now take 20oz at 7%=1.4 fragrance...

Because 20 oz is Fluid Ounces, not weight ounces.

You wont necessarily SEE if it's overloaded. Sometimes it'll sweat out. Sometimes it wont. Sometimes you wont be able to get a good proper burn because you're adding more oil than it's designed for. Sometimes you wont see any difference. Basically it's like just pouring FO down the drain. You may get it to bind, but not get any benefit for adding the extra oil. Some people report that you may actually get less scent throw by adding too much FO.

You haven't mentioned what wax you're using or what to max load % for it is. Asking about 8oz makes me think containers and often those waxes will hold a higher amount than 6% (1 oz pp wax). If you're using a quality FO, it shouldn't need 14% to get a good throw, but that's just my opinion ;)

You could probably get more help if you tell us what wax & FO you are using. Also, how long are you letting the candles cure before you test?

Increasing the FO load is not always the answer to a weak throw. It could be a weak FO or the wrong wick. If I had to use a 14% FO load to get a throw, I'd be looking for a different FO supplier.

Yeah, Jane... I seem to remember someone had an Excel spreadsheet that calculates that value...

*...seems like I should have that saved somewhere...*

AHA!!! Here's the link to the batch calculator

http://www.cakes-of-joy.com/Pics/Wax...20SheetV3a.xls

from this thread...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27805

This wasn't the one I was looking for, but I love it!! Thanks!

And, yes, it is SAVED!! LOL

I was just trying to get everyones sense on this because i know the standard 1oz of fragrance oil per pound....and some waxes can withstand higher %'s. But I wanted to get your take on this calculation.

CAW, I apologize in advance for being a dunce, but after reviewing the thread and reading your reply, I am not sure I understand exactly what your question is...:confused: Or have we answered it? :confused: