Trying to Single Wick a 4" apothecary with cd wicks in cb 135...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been reading through all of these posts and would just like to post my experience with double wicking. I only pour one size candle and it is a status jar, about 3" across. Most of them that I pour I double wick with HTP83, HTP73 or HTP93, but mostly HTP83. HTP wicks are the same as the CD wicks, I believe the only difference is the country of manufacture. It has been a while since I have been on here, so I could possibly be incorrect about that part. I get good burns with these and hardly ever any mushrooming. The trick to using these wicks is to look at the wick closely, on one side of the wick you have a pattern of an upward "v" and on the other side the pattern of a downward "v". The wick is going to burn and curl in the direction of the downward "v". So when placing my wicks, I place each of them with the downward "v" facing the outside of jar. They then burn and curl toward the outside of the jar. That gives me a good burn. A lot of people don't like to double wick. But I think my candles look beautiful when they burn, double wicked.

would just like to post my experience with double wicking. I only pour one size candle and it is a status jar, about 3" across. Most of them that I pour I double wick with HTP83, HTP73 or HTP93, but mostly HTP83.

Hey Kerry :wave:!

What kind of wax and FO amount are you using? Thanks for explaining how to determine the relationship between the direction of curl of the wick and the ^ and v of the braid. The direction the wick curls toward is the hotter side of a self-trimming wick.

HTP wicks are the same as the CD wicks, I believe the only difference is the country of manufacture.
Nope, not the same, although they are similar in the respect that they are both flat braided wicks which are self-trimming. I don't know if HTPs are directional or not... CDs & CDNs are non-directional.

HTP Data here

And here

CD & CDN (Stabilo & Stabilo KST) data here

And here

The sizing of HTPs vs. CDs/CDNs is very different as well as the ROC values, MP diameters and the flame heights, assuming that the exact same wax, etc. was used for both company's testing. Both A&P and Heinz conducted their tests according to industry standards with paraffin wax pillars. Other waxes & applications will have different results, so one has to test.

Because the largest MP HTPs can produce in paraffin pillars (according to A&Ps wick test data) is 2.37 inches (HTP-126), you might have to double wick larger containers for a FMP, assuming that the test results are accurate for your candle system, although in a container, the MP might be much wider.

CDs & CDNs, OTOH, will produce a larger MP in paraffin pillars (3.2 on CD 30s). In 4" containers, FMP and a clean, efficient burn & HT is achieved with a single CDN 22-24 and CDN 14 in 3" containers (using NatureWax C3 & 1 oz. FO/PP).

But here's the bottom line: If you have been using these successfully, they're working for you and you like double wicking, there is absolutely no reason in the world to switch to something else. If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it LOLOL

I think my candles look beautiful when they burn, double wicked.

And THAT is what it's all about!! If your candles are pleasing to YOU and burn safely and efficiently, that's what counts! :-)

I am using 415 wax with a small percentage of beeswax. I usually use about a 6-7% load of FO, some of my Candle Cocoon FO's I use a little less because they are concentrated. Most of my FO's are from Lonestar since I live about 5 minutes away from them. They also carry my wax and my jars, so for the most part it is one stop shopping.

You know several years ago when I first started making candles, and this might be posted on the old board, I think the HTP wicks and CD wicks had been discussed and we were told that they were one in the same. I believe someone had even come up with a chart with which HTP wick matched which CD wick. Maybe it was never a fact in the first place, that is good to know. Thank you for correcting me. I still make them but just don't get on as much as I used to, so I have been out of the loop on here for a while.