Trying to Single Wick a 4" apothecary with cd wicks in cb 135...

Ecosoya CB 135 is manufactured by NGI. Gateway is a different soy manufacturer... they make GW 415, 464, etc.

There are already recent threads about EL Millenium - check back a few pages in the veggie wax forum or use the search tool.

If I had a supplier for soy wax within driving distance, I think I'd sure give that wax a try. Sure beats paying shipping. There are several folks who use EL Millenium.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can I get USA from? I found a few threads about EL wax and it seems the ht isn't that great without additives or blended with other wax.

I am in Illinois so don't know if there is a supplier closer to me to save on shipping.

I am not aware of any additives (other than another wax) that improve HT, appearance, yes. I have other things that how an affect (FO%, temp of FO addition, wick type, wick size). Blending another wax in is a different topic, I guess you could call it an additive but I wouldn't.

The CD 22 wick did AWESOME in my 8 oz apothecary jar Ecosoya CB 135 with 4 inch diameter!!!SO EXCITED. I am going to get some samples of EL wax and see how I like it and perhaps test it with the CD 22 in the same jar. I am hoping I can pick up EL wax closer to home and not have to pay shipping so that is why I am considering switching to EL wax....wish me luck. Not too thrilled about starting over again with wax but if it saves me money and has a good ht it will be worth it, I hope :)

Quick question, are the CDN's and CD's similar?

I liked how the CD 22's did in my jar so need to order some more to test in the new wax I will be trying. Wanted to also get CDN's but they only have 20 as biggest size. Trying to keep it to 1 wick if I can.

HTP's get HUGE mushroom's while lit so I think I won't be testing with that type of wick, wonder if that is just my experience or all around. It created a fmp really well but I don't like those big mushrooms which makes the flame wider and bigger too.

Thanks so much!

Quick question, are the CDN's and CD's similar?

CDs and CDNs are exactly the same wicking. The only difference is the anti-oxidizing treatment applied to CDNs. This information is available from their site. Because of the treatment, one may experience some differences in how eficiently a CD burns vs. a CDN.

I just began burning my favorite 4" "fat boy" container I poured a couple of nights ago. I should have let it cure longer, especially considering the FO blend I used, but I just couldn't help myself. It's been tooling along nicely tonight with a 22. The HT is pleasing but not a knockout...yet. Each time this baby is burned, it will only get better. Mushrooms can happen with nearly any wick, depending on how efficiently the wick is burning that particular wax, the FO load, additives, other contaminants, etc. So long as the size of the 'shroom doesn't get out of hand, they will either self-trim and fall off into the wax or will be removed when the wick is trimmed before the next burn.

I paid $5.00 for shipping from WickIt and asked for some CD and CDN samples and they are sending me Premier 700 and Superior 800. Never heard of these before and was hoping for some CD and CDN's (specifically 22 or larger).

Oh well, guess I can't complain since the wicks are free and I only paid shipping.

Anyone know of a company to order samples of CD and CDN's size 22 or larger?

I paid $5.00 for shipping from WickIt and asked for some CD and CDN samples and they are sending me Premier 700 and Superior 800. Never heard of these before and was hoping for some CD and CDN's (specifically 22 or larger).

Oh well, guess I can't complain since the wicks are free and I only paid shipping.

Anyone know of a company to order samples of CD and CDN's size 22 or larger?

Just wait till you see how many wicks you get... lol. :)

WHY would you even pay shipping for something you did not want? Sample requests should be for the specific wicks and sizes requested.

Understand that the distributors offer samples to increase their future sales. There is a minimum of 5,000 pieces (of any ONE wick type/size) required to order from them. I don't know of any suppliers who carry or offer CDs & CDNs in sizes over 22, although they are manufactured up to size 30. I know this is frustrating, but suppliers carry only the most common sizes. If wicking a container 4" or larger, they will recommend double-wicking because that means they do not have to keep the larger sizes in stock. This is why so many people go to double wicking long before it is actually needed to properly wick the candle: they can't find the larger sizes and cannot justify purchasing 5,000 size 24 wicks for their candlemaking business.

WickIt, Wicks Unlimited and Precision Wicking are the 3 wick distributors with whom I am familiar who carry CDs & CDNs (Stabilo & Stabilo KST are the current correct names for the Heinz wicks formerly known as CD & CDN). HTH

They said they only send out the Premier & Superior as samples. Stella, they send a big bag of each; all sizes included, regardless of which sizes you request. One is for soy I believe & one is for paraffin. They are *huge* bags. :)

Candle & Supplies have a Natural CD wick that is working very well so far. I have only tested with the sizes 6 & 16 so far. They said they tested both CDNs & the NCDs (both from Heinz(SP?) & like the NCDs better. I called yesterday to find out more info & suggested they sell a sampler pack? Hopefully the inbetween sizes will work just as well when they arrive! Excuse the thread change, but thought you might like to know of another option worth trying.

I received my WIck It samples today.

This is what I got for $5 shippping.

Superior WI 800, 810, 820, 830, 840, 850, 860, 870 (10 wicks in each size)

Premier WI 700, 705, 710, 715, 720, 725, 730, 735, 740, 745, 750, 755, 760, 765, 767, 770, 775, 777, 780, 785, 790, 793, 795, 798, 799 (10 wicks in each size)

Got my BitterCreek Candle Supply wicks today!

The Hemp wicks I received are as follows:

100% Hemp Core

6" Large+ Hemp Core

6" Medium Hemp Core

40032 Extra Lg Hemp Core

6" Large Hemp Core

60048 Super Lg Hemp Core

I want to single wick my 4 inch diameter apothecary jars with Enchanted Lights Soy Wax ( I don't use any dye or additives)

Could anyone recommend a good size to start with the Hemp wicks?

I tried looking online at Bitter Creek Candle Supply web site but didn't get any answers.

Thanks so much!!!!

Edited by Aimee81

post-14187-139458490939_thumb.jpg

Pic on left: 8 oz apothecary jar (4 inch diameter) with EL Millenium soy wax CD 22 wick. Lit for 7 hours 45 minutes and this was the final result.

Pic on right: same jar and same burn time but using EL Container Blend Soy wax CD 22.

In both pics I showed the largest hangup on the jars. The other side of Container jar had jus a sliver of hangup. Other side of Millenium jar had about 1/4 inch hangup.

Both candles cured for 48 hours and I did not add any FO or additives.

Just lit both today for 2nd burn test.

What are everyone's opinions how the first burn looks?

post-14187-139458490945_thumb.jpg

I think it shows promise. The hang-up may leave as you get closer to the halfway point. I am ready to test the CD-22 in my 4" apothecary. I tried to make the CD-20 work and it just won't (spoke harshly to the wick, "You know Mr CD-20, YOU can BE REPLACED, so start burning to my satisfaction!!"). Double wicks work but they make the container hotter than I would like.

Finished testing all the wicks for my EL Millenium wax.

CD 22, CD 20, Paper 60-44-18P, Paper 62-52-18P, LX 26, LX 24, RRD 55, HTP 1312, HTP 1212 with no success.

I tested without any FO, just the wax and wick in my 8 oz apothecary jars with 4 inch diameter. I kept good notes and the jar's gave me 2 burns before got to almost the bottom and over 1 inch of wax hangup so all the wicks tunnelled pretty bad.

The only promising one was CD 22 but towards the end of the candle it tunnelled too :( I thought in the first burn the hangup wax would fall into the melt pool but never did.

So, that being said. I think I am just going to go to double wicks. Any suggestions on sizes for all these types of wicks?

CD

HTP

LX

Paper Core

RRD

Finished testing all the wicks for my EL Millenium wax.

CD 22, CD 20, Paper 60-44-18P, Paper 62-52-18P, LX 26, LX 24, RRD 55, HTP 1312, HTP 1212 with no success.

I tested without any FO, just the wax and wick in my 8 oz apothecary jars with 4 inch diameter. I kept good notes and the jar's gave me 2 burns before got to almost the bottom and over 1 inch of wax hangup so all the wicks tunnelled pretty bad.

The only promising one was CD 22 but towards the end of the candle it tunnelled too :( I thought in the first burn the hangup wax would fall into the melt pool but never did.

So, that being said. I think I am just going to go to double wicks. Any suggestions on sizes for all these types of wicks?

CD

HTP

LX

Paper Core

RRD

For soy wax I use two CD-5s or two CD-6s depending on FO and two CD-4s to the list and that should be a good test.