Flavor Oil reviews

Scented

GetSuckered

Fuzzy Navel -- 5 oz of base to 1T of flavor. Seems a little strong, but again, problems with it at 2 3/4 tsp in that it just didn't do anything for me. Batch is sweetened with liquid stevia (love the stuff). Now, on another note ... not sure I'll seek out this flavor again. Flavor doesn't stick around like the others have and there was a hint of bitterness that came through with some grapefruit notes ... didn't think grapefruit was in a fuzzy. Will have to resample later tonight.

Where do you buy the liquid stevia?

e

Hope scented doesn't mind my chiming in. I got mine at the local health food store. Because it is pricey, I'd recommend you trying the stevia that comes in powdered form. I got liquid and it's mixed with glycerin. It doesn't mix with the balms well (I use premade for now). I have to wait longer to pour it so that it stays mixed and it's just more of a hassle.

The liquid I use you pop in the microwave for 30 seconds and then drop it in the batch. It blends without problems that way. I had trouble when it's solid and dipping a toothpick and swirling into hot oils. Odd, but that's been the difference between using it and not. Can't answer about regular bases though because I make my own.

Back to reviewing:

Get Suckered

Island Punch -- big disappointment IMO. I get a smell OOB and not much in a batch. Too light. Took 4 tsp to get a hint of flavor and it's weak in my batch. Definitely not one I'll return to get again.

OT Lemon Meringue is really nice!

I put about 2 mL to my small batch (20 balms) and while I was stirring, got a really nice fragrance from it. I don't know what is in it, but something was refreshing and making my eyes tingle (in a good way), but I think this one is a keeper. Also added about 1/2 mL of Sweet Kisses (MMS) to sweeten it up.

Won't be able to try my others until I get my other tubes... :(

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the presweetened flavors from The Chemistry Store? I'm considering the strawberry, cherry, and banana.

I've tried a couple from the Chemistry store, but didn't care for them. They are very "fake" smelling. My favorites are from here: http://www.LipBalmTubes.com The Sugared Strawberries and Cherry Berry are FANTASTIC. In the fall/winter I like the Pumpkin Cheesecake and Gingersnap.

• 1 month later...

Whatever Scented wants... :wink2:

I'll just state up front that I'm strictly a use FO "to taste" hobbyist, so I can't tell you how much I used exactly. Some tested in BCN's base, Southern Soapers regular (not vegan) base and some in my homemade balm (CO, beeswax, castor, etc...)

Color coded with the "traffic light" system (green means "GO!", etc...)

~*~ AH/RE aka Lipbalmtubes.com ~*~

These are all reasonably strong flavors that didn't require too many tweaks from me.

Lemon Cheesecake - OMGoodness good!!! OOB I wanted to drink it. In balm it's at least as good if not better. I do sweeten with MMS Sugar Kisses, but this one doesn't really need it, IMO. It smells/tastes just like the lemon sandwich cream cookies from the grocery store to me, not really cheesecake-y, but darn good all the same. If I could only have one, this might be it.

Pumpkin Cheesecake - Again, I'm not getting the cheesecake here, but it's clearly a fine "Pumpkin Pie". On the strong side so it doesn't take much. Very good.

Chai Tea - Another one I'd rename. This one I labeled "Gingerbread Cookies" and so far, no one's questioned it. It's good, creamy, smooth and spicy, but not "burn your lips off" spicy.

Cherry Berry - A fine fruity blend that's a step above the "lip smacker"-type flavors. Very fun with a dab of pink or purple mica!

Almond Biscotti - I didn't get any bakery off this one at all, call it "Amaretto". Not what I was expecting so I was a little disappointed, but if you're in the market for an Almond, it's strong and true.

White Chocolate - The only true disappointment in the bunch. Just not chocolate-y IMO. Kind of a nutty mild...bleah...

I still need to test the Asian Pear...

~*~ BrambleBerry ~*~

Orange Chocolate Truffle - Mine was bought off the classies and might have been old...

Still, a decent scent. Not truly "flavored", so a little sweetening didn't hurt. Not a really strong chocolate, but not bad. The orange notes were true and the blend itself was nice but maybe just a tad plastic-y...

~*~ Southern Soapers ~*~

Honey - This might be going into soap, but never another lip balm. A very floral honey...yuck.

Chai Tea - STRONG! Like "Danger!" strong, especially after it sits a bit. Very spicy and nice. Can be blended with other flavors to tone it down some. It's a reasonably realistic Chai though.

Pomegranate - Good! Strong and a little on the tingly side, but a nice fruity twist for those who are tired of boring grapes and cherries. I blend with MMS Vanilla Banilla for one of my all time favorite balms.

Raspberry Mango Sorbet - It never really bloomed for me. I get a kind of boring "lip smacker" fruit from it but nothing identifiable as either raspberry or mango...bleah...

Tiramisu - Smelled and tasted like dirt. Didn't matter what I blended it with. I never had the patience to let it sit though, so I might have missed the boat on this one.

Chocolate Fudge - Smells and tastes like brownies with walnuts. Not bad but a little flat without sweetener.

Coconut - First tests, I got nothing. I did read on the SSRB that it blooms if it sits though so I'll try again...

~*~ MMS ~*~

Vanilla Banilla - Love it! Great blender but it's got a little banana in there (at least to my nose) so it doesn't go with everything...

~*~ BCN ~*~

Root Beer - What can you say? Sweetened root beer flavor, my kids adore this one. Very strong and true. Doesn't take much and you can smell me pouring these across the room!

Java - I don't get it... It's not coffee. I have determined to pour one and let it sit for a few days before I pitch this one, but my hopes aren't high.

Peach - Oh YEAH! I mix this one with a dab of 5x Orange for an awesome Fuzzy Navel. Sweet and peachy, blends well. Very nice.

Strawberry - Not bad for an artificial candy-like sweetened strawberry oil. Blends well and the kids like it.

Wild Berry - Good but boring. Tastes like half the berry lip smackers I bought as a teen...

~*~ Herbal Soaps by RJ ~*~

This company gets an honorary mention because the 6 flavors I tried were fair at BEST and the customer service SUCKED!! So I just want to mention that there's no flavor there I'd ever bother with again, period.

~*~

I have a few more to test still, but those are the ones I've done so far.

I appreciate those! I'm not that fond of hopping all over to find a review. I like that Lillie added that to her board, but at the time I started this thread it wasn't there and there are other reasons.

Lemon cream cookie? I need a late night snack!

I'd love to find a good pumpkin pie out there. I just got a spiced pumpkin off the candy flavors.

Raspberry Mango ... I can appreciate that it bored ya, but I loved it. Doesn't mean everyone will. Now I'd personally rather have the two fruits blended into a nice frozen mixed drink.

I dunno that I will ever get over my immediate yuck reaction to honey on lips. Gotta really be one to love that stuff I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... didn't see an "edit post" option...

Some updates on balm flavors after "curing"

AH/RE/Lipbalmsupplies.com

Almond Biscotti ~ I do get a hint of bakery now, but not the "biscotti". I expect anise when I read biscotti. There is something in this that tingles though, I'll be more careful with my future batches and not add as much.

White Chocolate ~ Ah, the flavor has deepened. Unfortunately, it's deepened into Buttered Coconut... :sad2: