Flavor Oil reviews

Scented

How about some reviews for flavor oils and where from. I think there's enough people either starting to make or making something lippish that they might benefit from it. So how about listing the flavor, the company and use?

All Oregon Trails

Grape is strong at .5 oz to 20 oz of base.

Wild Cherry is strong at .5 oz to 20 oz of base.

Vanilla Buttercream, too much at .5 oz go 20 oz of base and had difficulty blending.

Peppermint Ice way too strong at .5 oz to 20 oz of base

Mojito so so at 1 oz to 20 oz of base.

Pina Colada is fine at .5 oz to 20 oz of base

Strawberry is a little light at .25 oz to 20 oz of base, a bit stronger and more straight strawberry (not a sugary kind) in 20 oz of base

Margarita may be a little light at .25 oz to 16 oz of base.

Still fiddling with watermelon (which isn't a sweet fleshy watermelon IMO and tangerine)

fabuloso!! Can we have a sticky thread on this subject?

ETA: and would you mind putting them on the SRB if you haven't already? I prefer to look here but I know I can always turn to the SRB for a concise if bare-bones look at scents & flavors.

Thanks for this Scented!

I actually have done about 4 oils and all from Oregon Trails at their recommendation of starting with 2 tsp per 3 oz. (about 80-85 grams)

With this:

lychee was strong

mojito was medium

vanilla buttercream was medium

chai tea was medium to strong

I just did Southern Soapers Rhubarb at twice their recommendation (since with their recommendation there was NO taste) with stevia added and I can not taste the rhubarb.....hmmmmm. I really want this one to work!

• 3 weeks later...

I love the sage's flavor oils, and use them all. They are great but still looking for ultra sweet ones that come already sweet to the taste like smackers (I dont want to have to add stevia). I guess MMS is as close as I get so far.

I can say that BCN's Kiss Kwenchers Honey Bee Mine is nasty nasty nasty sick007.gif. I had to throw away a whole batch of lip balm when I used it my very first time making lip balm.

Their other flavors are pretty good:

Jumpin Java is so so

Rootbeer is yummy

Wild Berry is my favorite

I am very happy with the flavor oils from www.the-sage.com. Typically, I use about 2-3%. They are unsweetened, but I add a touch of their Sugar Kisses flavor oil.

e

I find their flavor oils to be of great quality. I do not add the sugar kisses to mine, but I might try that next time I order. I have used honey, strawberry swirl, mango mango and chocolate cream.

Thanks bunches Scented. I haven't done lip balms in a long time and was looking at oils everywhere.

I can say, from the last I did them from the sage I loved the rootbeer, the chocolate cream and the strawberry.

I can say that BCN's Kiss Kwenchers Honey Bee Mine is nasty nasty nasty sick007.gif. I had to throw away a whole batch of lip balm when I used it my very first time making lip balm.

Their other flavors are pretty good:

Jumpin Java is so so

Rootbeer is yummy

Wild Berry is my favorite

I have used the Honey Bee Mine and even though it was not my favorite it really has been a best seller of mine in the lip balms. Very strange indeed as I personally did not like it.

Angi

• 3 weeks later...

Based on using other flavor oils from OT:

Bubblegum -- I think adding stevia to this just makes it ultra sweet. The BG flavor comes through.

Southern Soapers -- Now that Lick my Latte (will have to check notes on the amount used). I presweetened the batch some, divided it out into fourths since the batch makes way too much, but I didn't add extra sweetner.

Raspberry, Mango Sorbet (delish!). I could swear there's bananas in that thar concoction. Did use Stevia, but this is one of my favorites.

Almost beginning to think I'd rather have the sweetened flavors so I don't have to mess with it, because this all comes out based on my taste and that's not always a good thing.

Southern Soapers:

Passionfruit & Guava -- Could just be me and my lips are too flavored up, but I felt I had to use more of this to get a sense of what it was to be like (having never had either fruit.) I get a little tart and sweet from it, but used a tad over 1% in my batch.

OT's Lime Sugar -- Probably won't go seeking this one again. It took half of the bottle to get the lime to come out. Course this is me and I may a flavor lip (similar to candle nose. ) :tongue2:

Adding a third on BCN's Honey is awful at any ratio. IMO, it stinks, smells nothing like honey.

BCN's Grape, Wild Berry, and Melon are all great at .5oz per lb.

Blueberry though doesn't seem very "blueberryish". It's some sort of berry flavoring, but not quite the taste of real blueberries.

BCN's Strawberry seems a bit weak at .5 oz per lb. Not quite as strong as I would like that I get from the Wild Berry and Grape.

Southern Soapers

Kahlua & Coffee -- to me this is just coffee lol. I'm not big on coffee at all so really no amount of stevia would have made this good, but take my prejudices away and it's still just coffee to me. Used about 1% to my batch.

Cheesecake -- This one got an "Oh yeah, that's cheesecake alright." Used about .15% per batch with a touch of stevia to give it a little bit of sweetness. Could probably use less.

• 3 weeks later...

From Get Suckered, based on about 22 oz of base:

Tutti Frutti (1 T) ... liquors up the lips just fine. Base is sweetened with Stevia, because it is lol.

Bahama Splash (needed to go to 1T to get some flavor going. At 2 1/2 tsp, IMO, it wasn't strong enough.)

Strawberry Banana (1T) ... don't think I'll pursue keeping this in our line. It's fine for a quick taste (shame, I know), but it doesn't linger as the others do.

Fuzzy Navel and forget what else is up next.

OT's Lime Sugar -- Probably won't go seeking this one again. It took half of the bottle to get the lime to come out. Course this is me and I may a flavor lip (similar to candle nose. ) :tongue2:

Awww, man! Wish I would have seen this before I ordered my next round of flavors to try. I've tried a few others from OT and was very pleased with them, so I got some more: Lemon Meringue, Papaya Passion, Lime Sugar, Juicy Peach and Cheri Rose. Oh yeah! Margarita too. Can't wait to start mixing other flavors with that last one. mm! :) I'll post my results after a bit...