Anyone know what WHITE BARN CANDLE Co. uses in their candles??

I currently make soy candles, but get frustrated with the poor scent throw:undecided. I am currently testing a TON of waxes. I have used GB 415 in the past. I get a great throw, but a lot of frosting. I am currently testing ECOSOYA ADVANCED and 135 with FO from Soycandlesuppliers.com. I am not getting very good results. I LOVE White Barn's candles. I know that they are soy based, so I was wondering if anyone knew what they use? I have heard that they order their FO's from a manufacturer as well as their wax. ALL of their candles have an excellent throw and their FO's are wonderful.

Thanks!!;)

Nichole

I've actually asked them what they use, but I keep getting the same response "veggie wax" I asked if its soy based and they say "no" but that it does not have any paraffin in it.

Like I mentioned I know that they do NOT make their own wax or FO so they are getting it from somewhere.

What did you find out through colonial candle (if you don't mind me asking?)

It seems there are SO many soy/veggie waxes out there, but no matter how much testing non seem to compare to the larger companies like Yank and White Barn or even ROOT candle. I have used GB 415, have a good scent throw but the candle looks like poo. I would like a nice looking candle (like the one I get with CB advanced) but with a great throw.

Thanks for your reply!!!:D

I've actually asked them what they use, but I keep getting the same response "veggie wax" I asked if its soy based and they say "no" but that it does not have any paraffin in it.

They could be using NatureWax C3 ("premium vegetable candle wax" according to the case label) and would have to give that response because that's ALL the manufacturer of the wax will tell anyone. Pardon the sarcasm, but even if those folks told you everything that THEY put into their candles, you still wouldn't know much! Like any candle manufacturer, one can only know what they have been told by their suppliers and the manufacturer of their products, which, in this industry, ain't much. :rolleyes2

I can understand your wanting to take a short cut and have some successful candlemaker whose candles you admire just tell you how they do it, but that's not likely to happen! You're probably gonna have to test and read and mess up and search for information and test some more and have some successes same as the rest of us. :wink2:

Soylights,

I'm noticing a trend in your threads. You are looking to duplicate very large candle companies, is that correct? Or are you looking to make a candle just as 'good.'

I do think you can make a quality candle without having to get formulas from big named companies. When I started, I wanted a candle as 'good as' Yankees, because that's all we had around here at the time, I soon learned that I make a helluva better candle than Yankee.

In this case, imitation will not be the most sincere form of flattery. Good luck in obtaining the information you are looking for. As a small time (and I mean small) candle maker, I would not divulge my "ingredients" to just anyone.

As I mentioned on a different thread concerning Maddison Avenue Candles....I have been making candles since Aug 2006. I have tried/tested with the rest of you....I have been fairly successful and have a pretty nice size customer base that LOVE my candles. I personally want my products to be as good as the others. I want to feel confident about what I am selling. Right now I don't feel that my product is the BEST. Not every customer comes back for a re-order, that tells me that I am not providing the best product, yet I know that they are willing to drop 15-20 bucks on a 10 oz candle from White Barn or Maddison.

I think that we are all trying to get the best wax, best FO, best burn qualities. I agree that people/company's are not going to be super open about their ingredients, I think that's common sense. But maybe someone else knows. I saw a post earlier about White Barn....someone actually did find out what type of wax they use, so apparently it is possible.

I appreciate the input that you all gave. Thank You. I am surprised at the criticism that some people are creating and giving to others.:cry2: We are all business owners trying to be successful. This site is here to help, and to give tips and input.

Back to testing....I'm working with ecosoya 135 right now. Keeping my fingers crossed!!:D

I don't think anyone knew anything about you generally so maybe that's why they're wondering.

If you'd like to share what you've tested and your method, I'm sure people could troubleshoot you. Show some pictures of what you've made, to get feedback on the look even. In order to get answers, people need the info and the reason why you're asking. It helps a lot I've noticed just in the way I've been helped. Hard for people to read minds. ;)

it's just that.... the testing never ends, that's true. But, I think that the successful chandlers already have gone through the picking-my-wax testing BEFORE they start to sell.

What you say contradicts itself. That's all. And, there are some around here that are pretty good at discernment.

I'm working on uploading some pics. Right now I'm buring SHAMPURE, Spiced cranberry cinnamon, island mango, viva la vanilla, and vanilla lavendure from Soy Candle Suppliers. I used CB advanced for the island mango, viva la vanilla and the vanilla lavender. Used ecosoya pure for the others.

After 4 days of curing, the viva la vanilla is FINALLY throwing kinda well (not knocking my socks off) Island Mango has a heavy cream hot throw. My FAV has been the Vanilla Lavender. I've had a hard time finding a nice soft lavender and I think I've finally got it!! SHAMPURE smells like kerosene, and the spiced cranberry cinnamon smells like something rotten ( MY SON THOUGHT THE DOG WAS PASSING GAS!)

They all have an excellent COLD throw. I notice that the CB advanced doesn't have near the cold/hot throw that my GB 415 has or even the ecosoya pure. Maybe I need to let them cure longer than a week and test again.

Thanks for the advice;)

Blessings

Nichole

• 12 years later...

Maybe I need to let them cure longer than a week and test again.

This right here could be your problem. When I was making soy and parasoy candles I always let them cure a minimum of 2-3 weeks and with some FOs 4 weeks or more. Think of soy wax like wine, the older it gets the better throw. IMO one week is not nearly a long enough cure time for soy or soy blend waxes.

The second biggest culprit it the wick IMO. All waxes can be finicky when it comes to wicking. Some wicks will make the candle burn like a dream but produce absolutely no hot throw.

Took me a couple years of testing to get a good soy blend candle but 4 years to make a great one. Patience and lots of testing is key.

BTW, big candle companies can afford to have their own proprietary blend of wax so you won't find it anywhere at any suppliers so I would just give up on that and concentrate on perfecting the candle system you want with the wax of your choice, Continually changing waxes is not key, learning everything about the wax you are using is. 

• Like 1