As much is too little?

I meant how much is too little, sorry.

Whenever I buy candles from a department store like Sears, or stores like Walgreens or even Wal*Mart there is always at least 1/2" of wax left over on the sides as the candle burns down. It's always been that way and I really didn't think anything of it. But then someone in my class mentioned hang up on the jars and the two ladies teaching the classes said that it is basically a personal choice when making candles. One said that some people want absolutely no hang up on the sides as well as no side effects (such as soot, smoke, etc.) and then others aren't so picky and are ok with a little hang up as long as there is no soot, no shrooms, no smoking and so on. Someone on here mentioned searching the threads and archives to get research and I have done that. I got a lot of answers I was looking for. But I just wanted to ask the current active posters how much you put up with? I have a 3 1/2" jar, and used a CD22 wick. I am 1 & 1/2 hours into my burn and all that is left on the sides is about 1/4" of wax maybe even just an 1/8th" not that much at all. Of course I realize I am not done with my test... I was just wondering.. What is the perfect candle?

If you have a container over 3" wide and only 1/4" on the sides after only 1.5 hrs....I'd say yours is burning too hot.

A "perfect" container candle IMO, has NO mushrooms, NO hangup, NO soot, strong hot and cold throw, and burns a very long time. NOW... have I ever seen a "perfect" candle... Nope :wink2: Very little in life is perfect and even when You think something is, someone else has a different opinion :D

Well, I like my candles to leave no wax on the sides of the jar when burning. However, this won't happen if not burned properly. Ideally, a candle should burn, if wicked correctly, with a melt pool of about an inch per hour. So, a three inch round container should reach a full melt pool in three hours or so. If someone doesn't burn the candle long enough, it will have excess wax on the edge. I don't like smokey wicks either. Nobody wants soot from their candles. So, it does require a lot of testing to get the best wick, wax, fragrance and container combo. Of course, you must be aware that I am a perfectionist about the performance of my candles.

I thought it was only too hot if it tunneled down or it smokes alot. It's burning well. I think I am comiing to the conclusion I am going to have double wick it instead. It's not shrooming or smoking. Burning really nice in fact. Steady flame, no bouncing or flickering. I am just hoping it burns to the edges and has no soot or shrooming all the way down.

I used Cbadvance, cd22 wick, 8% Clean Cotton from Cierras Candles, no color, and the jar is 3 & 1/2" wide. Does that still seem like my wick is too big? I tried CD20 and the melt pool never grew past about 2 inches.

Another question on this same subject is.... when i used to by candles, I didn't always let them melt the full diameter of the jar. Do the majority of candle burning people - melt all away across or some for just an hour or two at a time? I see my friends and family with candles in their house that have wax on the sides, obviously not burning long enough. Do your customers realize that if they don't burn it all the way across and some of the wax stays it's their fault not yours?

Another question on this same subject is.... when i used to by candles, I didn't always let them melt the full diameter of the jar. Do the majority of candle burning people - melt all away across or some for just an hour or two at a time? I see my friends and family with candles in their house that have wax on the sides, obviously not burning long enough. Do your customers realize that if they don't burn it all the way across and some of the wax stays it's their fault not yours?

On both our brochure and a separate card with burning instructions, we instruct customers that if they wish to get the most out of their candle, they need to burn it until the melt pool has reached the sides of the jar, etc. BUT before I started making candles, I had no clue there was a certain way to burn a candle....so I ended up with wax on the sides of the jar, or soot all over the place, etc. so you can only do so much. :undecided

My own family members, who have listened to all this more than once, light their candle and forget it. They don't "time" how long they burn it, they don't trim the wicks, they move the candle so the wax sloshes around...it is painful to watch. :shocked2:

If they are happy with their candle, that is fine with me. It shouldn't be "work" to burn a candle...it should be relaxing and enjoyable. Some people find it quite annoying to be talked to like they don't know what they are doing...when you know for a fact they are not burning it correctly!! Our instructions are more for those that really care that they get the most from their beautiful candles...:D And we always "powerburn" - just to make sure the candles can handle being abused!!

I thought it was only too hot if it tunneled down or it smokes alot. It's burning well. I think I am comiing to the conclusion I am going to have double wick it instead. It's not shrooming or smoking. Burning really nice in fact. Steady flame, no bouncing or flickering. I am just hoping it burns to the edges and has no soot or shrooming all the way down.

I used Cbadvance, cd22 wick, 8% Clean Cotton from Cierras Candles, no color, and the jar is 3 & 1/2" wide. Does that still seem like my wick is too big? I tried CD20 and the melt pool never grew past about 2 inches.

Now that I have no idea about. Soy is a whole different ballgame. CB Advanced is soy right? Maybe ask over in the veggie section....

I sort of agree with Jane42. As far as burning tips go....BUT......As far as I can tell from your post FlameyJamie, you just started this adventure and are nowhere near having to worry about customers and what they want and what they expect. I have been doing this for a while, not years and years, but enough to know what I am doing. I do a lot of research of other people's candle. By that I mean I buy their candles and burn them, making notes and comparing them to my. You can buy the most expensive candle out there and you may still have the chance of mushrooming, or soot. There are candle makers who will not sell a candle if it does either. All in all... it comes down to personal preference. I think if you offer some information about how to keep these nasty things to a minimum, and offer tips on how to get the best burn, (along with picking the best Wax/FO/Wick combination for you) you have done your part. I have found that we are harder on ourselves about our candles than the general public is. Most people have seen mushrooms on candles they have bought before (Wal*Mart Mainstays candles always have them) . I have had some people say it's a reminder for them to trim the wick. I myself, try my best not to have them at all. But most important to me is the quality of the candle as a whole. Other Chandlers may accept shrooms as long as there is a great scent throw and wax consumption... again it all routes back to.... Personal Preference. Keep trying, you'll get to a candle recipe you are comfortable with.

Damn I am stuck in this thread and can't get out! LMAO! Another thing I wanted to add was..... you shouldn't be making your candles by what other people do, or what other people have on their websites. YOU need to find what works for YOU. Research.... research... research... test... test... test..... is all I can say.

I personally hate hang up. My apothecary jars are 3 1/2 inches in diameter and I used a CD18. A 22 might be a little big. Soy burns down then out, towards the end of your "test burn" 3 1/2 - 4 hours it should reach the edge and clean it up. Each FO is different. Maybe try cutting your FO down to 6% and the wick down to a 18- 20 and see where that gets you.

HTH