1343 pillars

Ok, I've been test burning my first mottle pillar made with the 1343, using 3T pp stearic, 1tsp UV, 1oz FO. The original sweating stopped after a day, wrapped in a paper towel. I've let it sit and cure about 6 days before lighting it. After it's been burning for a couple hours, it starts sweating again :mad: I discovered it when I went to hug it and had purple fingertips. Which leads me into the 2nd problem, after just 2 1/2 - 3 hrs burning, it's getting a slight bulge. The melt pool was less than 1/2" deep and walls are about 3/8" thick. It's a 3x4. I'm using a 24 ply flat wick like I do with the 4625. I must need to wick down, but don't have any 18 ply here to try :( The top 3/4" of it is not longer mottled, but solid purple. Do all mottles start back sweating when they get warm burning or is it just because the the wick is a tad too large? Or am I way off course here and it's something else I'm doing wrong?

WAY too much lavender FO :) You might find at high concentrations that one doesn't smell so good - really - use .5 oz or even less.

1343 'bulges' more than other waxes I've tried - it's *very* elastic and will contort out of shape before it breaks. Try playing with your wax in your pour pot after it cools a bit - almost like taffy :)

WAY too much lavender FO :)

1343 'bulges' more than other waxes I've tried - it's *very* elastic and will contort out of shape before it breaks.

I'm glad you said that. I was looking at the pic and thinking "that's how my 1343 pillars always look."

e

You definitely have too much FO!! I actually use 1/4 oz Lavendar per pound of 1343, and I usually use 1T stearic pp, along with 24 ply. That's worked pretty well for me. And my pillars look like that too! Keep trying!

Thanks ya'll! I normally use the 4625 and it doesn't bulge like this. So this is normal. But it still shouldn't feel damp and color your fingers when you hug it right? I went down to 3/4 oz pp. I'll find out when I unmold it tomorrow. Does this need less FO because it's the Lavander or all FO's need to be 1/2 - 3/4 oz pp?

• 3 weeks later...

This is an informative thread. I got a case of 1343A last week & promptly poured 3 pillars - they are bulging like ya'll are describing with the 1343.

They are all bulging & sweating big-time so I naturally thought I had over-wicked.

1) added mottling oil w/o FO - sweat for 2 day.

2) mottling oil w/Lavendar - also sweat for a couple days & when lit, the sweating started all over again - I did use a lot of FO.

3) added a little stearic w/Sweat Pea - a little sweating while curing & mucho sweating while burning but not as much bulge as the others.

The lavendar & Sweat Pea sweat so much that when hugged, I gotta go wash my hands. I can cut back on the amount of FO in the future but I don't think I like that bulging.

Would adding more stearic or vybar give some hardness to the wax & prevent the bulging?

I used to be a fan of the 1343 but realized that it holds very little FO, thus the intense sweating with mottles...or when burning any type of candle I made with this wax. In addition, I never got a very good hot throw with it. I switched over to 4045 and found that I could add much more FO...1-1.5 oz. per lb...and not have it sweat it's brains out. You can make all of the same types of candles that you do with the 1343...but...without all of it's drawbacks. I'm not putting 1343 down completely...I'm just telling you my experiences with it. Other's have been very happy with this wax, but I bet if they compared the two...they just might consider switching.