Has anyone used a Perculator to melt wax?

I have one that I thought about until I had made a few candles and realized that different temps are used frequently and having a thermostat is a must IMHO... If it is the spigot you like, you can install one easily on a Presto. Some people sell Prestos on eBay with spigots already installed. ;)

Guest Candelishis

Don't those get hot enough to boil the water? I think that's how the coffee percolates - the water boils up to the thing that holds the coffee grounds. That might be too hot, depending on what wax you're using. I started out with a presto that I got on Ebay with the spigot already installed. It's super easy to make one though, and you might be able to find an old presto at good will or a yard sale?

Perhaps you could use the percolater...and just use an old fashioned thermometer to check the temp...as lots and lots of ppl still do when using the double boiler melting method....but not sure how you would regulate the temp or keep it there for any length of time once it got hot enough. :)

Are there heating elements "inside" the percolator? I know that a lot of the pro melters have heating elements but not sure if it's the exact same thing. It seems that it *would be though.

JM 2cents.

Mt Annie

The metal stovetop coffee pots work great actually. They have the spout just like a regular pouring pot. I've used them in the past. They're the exact same thing as the pouring pots that go for $14.00-$16.00 each and a LOT cheaper when picked up second-hand...although with the older ones...the spout section CAN be a bit toughter to clean depending on how it's made.

:)

My Annie

=======

I have seriously considered an old fashioned stovetop percolator, but I don't think the electric kind would work. Mainly because of the "works" in the bottom of the pot, and I don't know if it would get hot enough for wax purposes. :o

I put water in one over the weekend and left it turned on for a day! I put a therometer in it and kept checking the temp all day. It varied..the highest it went was 180 and the lowest was 140.

My concern is the heating element is right in the middle of the pot and is about 3 inches high. Hubby thinks that would get TO hot around that point...

Not sure! LOL