Where can I buy cream of tartar in bulk?

bunkie68

I use a good bit of cream of tartar to make bubble bars, and it's a pain buying it in little bottles at the supermarket. Is there someplace I can buy it in larger quantities? I've checked our local Costco but didn't find it there.

You might also check Sam's, Costco etc.

I checked Costco and was surprised not to find it there. I don't have a Sam's card and don't plan on getting one, so that's out (I prefer Costco and can't see paying for a Sam's membership just for cream of tartar, if they have it! LOL). So here locally, the largest size I've found is a 4-ounce jar at Target for $4.99. Yee-ouch.

Of course, the downside to ordering online is shipping. For 31 ounces of cream of tartar from Bulkfoods, the shipping was almost as much as the product itself. Again, yee-ouch. But, unless I want to keep cleaning Target out of their 4-ounce jars, I reckon I'll be ordering it from somewhere!

I checked Costco and was surprised not to find it there. I don't have a Sam's card and don't plan on getting one, so that's out (I prefer Costco and can't see paying for a Sam's membership just for cream of tartar, if they have it! LOL). So here locally, the largest size I've found is a 4-ounce jar at Target for $4.99. Yee-ouch.

Of course, the downside to ordering online is shipping. For 31 ounces of cream of tartar from Bulkfoods, the shipping was almost as much as the product itself. Again, yee-ouch. But, unless I want to keep cleaning Target out of their 4-ounce jars, I reckon I'll be ordering it from somewhere!

Wow Bunkie, that surprises me too. I would have thought they would have it. I'm not sure if Sams carries it either. I assumed it might since it has a fairly nice size baking section. I buy my baking soda and corn starch there.

No, those tiny little bottles at the supermarket sure won't work. We have a health food store here which sells bulk herbs and spices. They have cream of tartar there. If you have a similar store, you could check there. If not, try online suppliers such as herbalcom.com. It's $5.50 a pound there, but they do have a shipping/handling charge of $5.25 per order, so unless you're ordering other things, or more than 1 lb, it may not be worth it.

Wow Bunkie, that surprises me too. I would have thought they would have it. I'm not sure if Sams carries it either. I assumed it might since it has a fairly nice size baking section. I buy my baking soda and corn starch there.

I know -- that surprised me, too. I looked at my local Costco and it wasn't there, eitheer. :(

I have a couple of restaurant supply stores that I'm going to check out, otherwise it's online purchasing for me as well.

Do you have any connections at a local restaurant? maybe they will add it to their order for you? and then no shipping-comes by truck directly to them!!

I was planning on making a sams run in next few days-will try to remember to check if they have any and let you all know!

Forgot to tell you, unless they did away with it, there's free shipping over a certain amount.

It's free shipping for orders over $75. If I can get sugar (for scrubs) there, I might be able to make a $75 order. But if all I'm getting is cream of tartar, I don't need quite that much. LOL

Crazycacti, I wish I did have connections at a restaurant - I'd sure ask. Check at Sam's, if you don't mind. If I can get it for a good price there, I may have to go ahead and get a membership. I just wish Costco had it, because I love Costco and don't love Sam's so much. Maybe I'll e-mail Costco and ask them why they don't have it.

It's free shipping for orders over $75. If I can get sugar (for scrubs) there, I might be able to make a $75 order. But if all I'm getting is cream of tartar, I don't need quite that much. LOL.

Well I added salts to my order and I would think sugar is there too. Baking soda was ... could swear I saw it. Actually I should look again, because citric might be there too. I ordered some of the powdered egg white stuff and buttermilk powder too.