Yellowing labels

kdmorgan

Are they glossy? I know some people have had issues w/their glossy labels yellowing. Oddly enough, I haven't had issues w/my glossy's, but my matte hang tags are yellowing...anyhow, if you do a search on glossy labels or something of the sort you will probably see some more info...

They are the glossy ones :( . I did a search and found a few that had the same problem but no one posted a solution. I guess I will have to switch labels but I use photo quality graphics on mine so I'm not sure what else will work.

I have some trouble with this too. I get some at Labels by the sheet and some at Online Labels. They both will do it. The best thing to do is try to get them out of the light. Put them in a dark container, drawer, or cover them. My tags used to do it too but have not had as much trouble lately...think Avery changed there business card stock a bit. Maybe they had complaints. The bad thing is, once they are on the candles, they will be exposed to light. This is another reason why I do not want to have too much stock sitting on my shelves. It always seems like one thing or the other. Soy can discolor in time too in stores with floresent lighting or sunlight that comes in at certain times of day -- not talking about color fading. I don't color mine, but if sun hits them or strong direct lighting is in the area, soy can turn yellowish. This drives me nuts! I think some FO combinations with the soy can be more inclined to yellow than some others.

I don't know if this will help, but Krylon makes a UV Resistant Acrylic Spray. It's not too much of a pain to spray the label page down before you use them. If you have a Hobby Lobby you can buy it w/ the 40% off coupon & save a bit. It's in the artist area w/ canvas & brushes. I think I've also seen it at Wal-Mart.

Susan.

I bought labels from them too - pre printed and they have turned really yellow. They have NEVER been in direct sunlight, and in fact are stored on the bottles in a dark little corner to protect both the label and the product - yet they have still turned a really nasty yellow - and they're only 3 months old.

I am so glad to see this as I thought I was loosing my mind, but mine are doing this also and I use their glossy labels for the primera printer so switching isn't an option. It must just be the "glossy" material that makes them yellow but it looks horrible.

Janis

If anyone uses the primera labels I would be interested in knowing if yours yellows as well.

I emailed yesterday - will wait to hear from them. I only just found out my labels were yellowing. I used up all my shelf stock and was creating more - and the new labels that had been in a bag in a filing cabinet are bright white wheras the ones on the bottles look dingy and awful now.

I emailed yesterday - will wait to hear from them. I only just found out my labels were yellowing. I used up all my shelf stock and was creating more - and the new labels that had been in a bag in a filing cabinet are bright white wheras the ones on the bottles look dingy and awful now.

Having the same problem here with the glossy white full sheet label stock. Mine came from Online Labels but it seems if you expose them to air they yellow. If I keep them in the plastic container thing they are shipped in they stay nice and white. Even my Primera labels will yellow to a small degree if left sitting out...exposed to air. :angry2:

I am so glad to see this as I thought I was loosing my mind, but mine are doing this also and I use their glossy labels for the primera printer so switching isn't an option. It must just be the "glossy" material that makes them yellow but it looks horrible.

Janis

If anyone uses the primera labels I would be interested in knowing if yours yellows as well.

I do a full bleed print (no white left) and haven't noticed much change in them....but the label rolls will turn yellow on the ones exposed to air if left sitting out. Thought it was my basement causing this (even though my basement is a walk out with no part of it in the ground) I keep my label rolls in zip lock bags and that takes care of the yellowing. Do you have the 810 Primera Printer?

I bought mine already printed from them - I didn't print on them myself at all so they may not being using fade resistant inks but then I guess that doesn't explain why the white goes so yellow.

I have labels here on the roll that the printed off for me - and ALL have gone yellow. I have no idea what they printed the labels with - if it was the primera or not.

I bought mine already printed from them - I didn't print on them myself at all so they may not being using fade resistant inks but then I guess that doesn't explain why the white goes so yellow.

I have labels here on the roll that the printed off for me - and ALL have gone yellow. I have no idea what they printed the labels with - if it was the primera or not.

She does all her custom labels on the roll on Primeras. So yea same label stock that I have and Janis has.

yes I have the 810 and love love love it, but I don't like the fact that the labels will yellow, it doesn't look nice. I know it isn't labels by the sheet's fault but it is the nature of the actual label stock, I think primera should be aware of this even though I don't believe they actually make labels as well, they did send me specs one time to have custom labels made by any label manufacurer I wanted but I don't know if I still have them or not. I also have problems with the labels wrinkling if they get wet / damp from outside shows and they didn't have a solution to this but suggested trying a different type label material such as vinyl or poly but they don't make this themselves. I should try to find the info they sent me.

janis

I do a full bleed print (no white left) and haven't noticed much change in them....but the label rolls will turn yellow on the ones exposed to air if left sitting out. Thought it was my basement causing this (even though my basement is a walk out with no part of it in the ground) I keep my label rolls in zip lock bags and that takes care of the yellowing. Do you have the 810 Primera Printer?

I think they will turn yellow in time even being in a dark drawer but it slows the process down. Once they get on the jars, it happens much quicker. This is such a drag. I wonder why other candles and bottles in stores from big companies do not seem to have this problem. I remember one of the workers at Staples telling me that they cover all their cardstock paper and other itemsr with a dark covering to keep them out of the florescent lighting. He told me this when I was asking him why the Avery business card stock was turning a dingy yellow color after I had them on the candles. This sort of problem is really a pain in the butt and can really waste money. Maybe we can figure out if there are different brands that are less likely to do this.

The waterproof labels at Labels by the Sheet and probably other places are even worse. They really get yellow -- ugly color. These may be vinyl...can't remember. I notice with the high glass labels they seem to get worse on the edges...at least the ones that are stored in a way that may get a little light down into where they are kept that may hit the edges...not sure. I have moved all my labels in a completely covered file box and cupboard.

This makes a lot of sense. I notice to that if they are left out they will yellow and much quicker. It could be the exposure to air just as much as the exposure to light. I notice they last longer if kept in the plastic covering they come in. I get preprinted warning labels that I need to be able to get to quickly to save time while labeling. I would not be able to put them all in ziplocs. That would be to much of a pain to zip up and unzip, etc. I now have them in a non see through file box with a lid. But I guess there may still be too much air exposore. What do the big companies do with tons of their labels?

The same thing happens with my vinyl water proof labels and I take it that is what most of you are talking about. I buy from both places also. Now my clear labels I have no problem with. Do the labels sprayed with Krylon UV Resistant Acrylic Spray go thru the printer OK after they have been sprayed?

I have quite using them on my candles and just use them on B&B stuff now because they are pretty water proof for that use. Use the clear label and print in black for my candles.

I've only used the different sprays after everything has been printed -- it's the final step. I've never had anything yellow, but I've only used Avery, Mr Ink Jet & a few scrapbooking brands for sticker labels & paper labels. Also, I don't use glossy anything, only matte.

Susan.

There is also a product called Preserve Your Memories II that is a waterproofing spray and it has UV protection in it. It says it can be used on labels, photos, and lots of other items. I've never tried it myself yet, but a friend just told me she tried it and it works great on her shower gel labels. You might find it at your local craft store, or some craft places online sell it. HTH :)

It really sucks that so many are having the same problem but I really appreciate everyone posting.

I will definately try to hunt down the spray to see if it will work but the closest Michaels to me is an hour away.

Natty - If you hear anything from labels by the sheet, please let us know.

I did receive two replies:

1st Reply)

Hi again, I went ahead and read up at CMT to find out more about what is going on with the glossy labels. I noticed two things, 1) several companies have been mentioned so we've ruled out back label stock - it seems to be some odd characteristic of the glossy label. 2) many mentioned of light or exposure to air. On number two many people say it's light, one said they sprayed with a protectant on a half sheet, sat it under fluorescent light for a week and the untreated side turned yellow. My confusion is that our stock is stored, openly, in a large room with a ceiling lined with fluorescent lights - I've never noticed any yellowing of stock (rolls or sheets, packaged or unpackaged). The other part of #2 is the exposure to air, as in your case, your labels were on products but not in sunlight yet when you pulled the protected labels out of the cabinet there was a big difference, so I would have to go with some kind of environmental interference, whether it be the color or fragrance in the air during the production process of your products. I would really like to see one though, I was unaware of the posts I read yet I have not once - with all the products we've sent out, witnessed this "yellowing".....

2nd Reply)

I just found some fabulous research on the ph of paper, ph neutral, environment factors that can increase the acidity of a paper and the "yellowing outcome". Bottom line, the yellowing of any paper or label has to do with something increasing the ph neutral paper's acidity level. (environmental factor or something it's in contact with) The result is a yellowing affect. Go to google and do a little research on paper yellowing, ph nuetral paper and acidity, even wooden shelves can "share" it's acid with what sits on it....very informative. When I have more time I intend to write a f.a.q. for our website on this issue. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Thanks so much for posting their reply Natty,

I'm at work so I haven't researched it yet but, even if I do, not sure how that will help my label problem lol. Sure hope they come up with something.

It seams a little strange that labelsbythesheet keep their labels open to the environment and it doesn't have any effect on them :confused:

Thanks for sharing the reply. I know one thing for sure....it is not just Labels by the Sheet. I get yellowing with Online Labels too and also have gotten Avery business card stock that will yellow terribly and Invitation Card Stock -(Staples brand) that will yellow on the edges in time. Labels by the Sheet may have a point about different environmental issues. Also, they may not have a problem because their stock moves out of the warehouse faster than ours. I notice it takes time for these things to yellow. They may not have the same stock sitting out long enough. Not sure how fast they move their product though. If this is not it, then it could be different environmental issues. If theirs yellowed, we would be receiving yellow labels in our orders. Maybe the moisture that comes from my presto double broiler pots or other chemicals coming from the wax or FO into the air may have an affect. I have a feeling it may be because ours sit around long enough to get yellow and theirs moves out of their store before they have a chance to yellow...but not sure.

This is a problem that I hope I can fix too. I am going to try to get that spray that Doneen suggest and give that a try....but just one other timeconsuming thing to do. :tongue2: