Fragrance oil for oil burners

hellen

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use fo and olive oil, I have not had any smoking (steaming) nor have I had evaporation like when you use water. Oil doesn't evaporate does it? At least if it does its very slow as its never been and issue, so I don't worry about the junky, black, sticky burning mess like you get if you don't pay attention to it when you use water, I've always had to dump it out to put new scents in.

Do these need warning labels or ingredient labels. If so what would the wording be? Could this mixture also be used at that strength for refreshing pot pourri or car air freshner blanks. Maybe use a sprayer instead of the dropper?TIA

For wording, I would check some of the name brand wording/warnings (bath and body works) if that is permissible and formulate your own. This is what is commonly used to scent potporri as well. It seems too thick to be air freshener, though. Doesn't mean I didn't try it and slick up my floors enough to have to mop it up-LOL!:bliss:

• 3 months later...

I'm revisiting this thread as I have tested every dang DPG/FO ratio I could with 15 different scents and got smoking EVERY time. Some not as bad as others mind you, but still. For those that use olive oils and such, do you do a ratio of 50/50 to start with? I'd like a jumping off point to start testing without being wasteful, especially after wasting so much DPG.

I have not encountered "smoking" with the 50/50 ratio of DPG/FO but rather a "steaming" effect. I have tested in both electric and tea light warmers. The tea light ones do get a bit hotter and steam a bit more. I haven't tested any store bought brands but my customers have and claim mine are better. I sell lots of these. I prefer the DPG over OO but have tested OO for when I am in a pinch and out of the DPG.

I've never NOT added water to the bowl with the fragrance. You mean I've been doing it wrong all these years? The B&BW/White Barn Candle bottle of scent I have says "add up to 20 drops to oil warmer". That seems like a woefully small amount without some additional liquid filling up the bowl. :confused:

Darbla

I have not encountered "smoking" with the 50/50 ratio of DPG/FO but rather a "steaming" effect. I have tested in both electric and tea light warmers. The tea light ones do get a bit hotter and steam a bit more. I haven't tested any store bought brands but my customers have and claim mine are better. I sell lots of these. I prefer the DPG over OO but have tested OO for when I am in a pinch and out of the DPG.

If it's steaming though (I'm using tealight), wouldn't that mean it's getting almost hot enough to boil and therefore extremely close to a lot of FO's flashpoints, and the vapors could ignite from the flame too?

If it's steaming though (I'm using tealight), wouldn't that mean it's getting almost hot enough to boil and therefore extremely close to a lot of FO's flashpoints, and the vapors could ignite from the flame too?

The DPG increases the flashpoint and although they steam I haven't felt the concern of the vapors igniting from the flame of the tea light or felt that the oils were close to boiling. Typical tea light burners have a reasonable distance between the bowl and the tea light candle flame. I just consider the steaming normal per se - maybe someone else will chime in with their experiences.

The DPG increases the flashpoint and although they steam I haven't felt the concern of the vapors igniting from the flame of the tea light or felt that the oils were close to boiling. Typical tea light burners have a reasonable distance between the bowl and the tea light candle flame. I just consider the steaming normal per se - maybe someone else will chime in with their experiences.

Thanks for answering Brenda, that's a good point about distance. Is there a way to tell the difference between steaming and smoking? I just saw white poofs, so maybe I'm getting steam instead of smoke and was thinking it was smoke.

Has anyone tried Rice Bran Oil as a mixer? It is a lot cheaper than OO and would not have a chemical smell as DPG might. I don't have ant right now to test. What does B&BW use to mix with their FO's. The ones I saw were just a 1 oz bottle, is that what your talking about? The stores use the whole bottle in their oil warmers, that's why it is so darn strong... years ago Crisco oil was used for a floating wick type candle, can't remember if it had a scent.

Thanks for answering Brenda, that's a good point about distance. Is there a way to tell the difference between steaming and smoking? I just saw white poofs, so maybe I'm getting steam instead of smoke and was thinking it was smoke.

I would classify "white poofs" as steam, since that is what I tend to get at times. If the entire bowl of oil had contant steady heavy visible rolling vapors then it would be "smoke". I haven't ever had anything like that with the DPG but that is what I would look for. I hope my description makes sense.

Has anyone tried Rice Bran Oil as a mixer? It is a lot cheaper than OO and would not have a chemical smell as DPG might. I don't have ant right now to test. What does B&BW use to mix with their FO's. The ones I saw were just a 1 oz bottle, is that what your talking about? The stores use the whole bottle in their oil warmers, that's why it is so darn strong... years ago Crisco oil was used for a floating wick type candle, can't remember if it had a scent.

I am not familiar with rice bran oil, so I can't help you there, nor do I know what B&BW works ingredients are - sorry. If rice bran oil is comparible to olive oil it is worth testing. The objective is to increase the flashpoint for potential safety concerns when selling. Heck, I have tested straight FO's without experienting any ill affects when I first began to get requests. Straight FO's are very pricey so that is why I began to research cutting. Cutting increases profit margins and provides the extra safety cushion by increasing lower flashpoint oils. When using DPG I haven't ever detected a chemical smell and have tested up to 80% DPG/20% FO. I tend to stick with a bit more FO since the scent will last a bit longer.

I would classify "white poofs" as steam, since that is what I tend to get at times. If the entire bowl of oil had contant steady heavy visible rolling vapors then it would be "smoke". I haven't ever had anything like that with the DPG but that is what I would look for. I hope my description makes sense.

Thanks Brenda! That does make sense. I may have to revisit some of the mixtures I have laying around.

Brenda, I get the same results as you. Before I got into candlemaking, I brought the oils from The Body Shop. There was what I would call a faint "whisp" which of course I thought added to the ambiance. That's the same whisp of steam I get no matter what my ratio of dpg/fo is. I've used 50/50 and 80/20.

Well, I played around some more and determined it was actually steam. I put a drinking glass over the bowl and as it rose it turned "wet" as if condensation. Once it touched the sides, there was nothing else when I lifted the glass, like smoke would stay trapped. Thank you so much again Brenda!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Linda Mnxuma said:

What is the ratio DPG,FRAGRANCES oil, Potpourri and IPM? For a burner oil?

Generally I would start at 50:50 and adjust as needed.

if you prefer not to use a glycol, fractionated coconut oil (a clear, odorless, long shelf life liquid oil) may be another option.