Fragrance oil for oil burners

hellen

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE BURNER OILS! You can sample so many fragrances this way! I never use water-there are some threads about it and they aren't a good mix with water from what I hear.:undecided

So you mix (let's say) 1/2 DPG and 1/2 FO to put in the oil burners? Do you think this works better than a Crisco type oil? Jojoba or Coconut oil. What the heck is DPG? How does it look after days of heating? Years ago when I used an oil burner it had a little bowl over a tea light. You had little 1/2 oz bottles of FO that you added to water in the bowl, just a few drops and it would scent till the tea light went out or it ran out of water. That is what I didn't like is the water ran out first sometimes and I was always afraid it would break.

• 3 weeks later...

Olive oil is a lot pricier than DPG. DPG is a stabilizer. It helps prevent the FO from smoking and possibly combusting. No matter what you use to cut your oils if you warm them without water you get a sticky black mess. I recommend using/selling oil warmers with a nice size well. Add fragrance to water a few drops at a time until you get the throw you desire. When the burner cools dump the water and wipe with a paper towel. No fuss no muss.

I mix mine with a 50/50 ratio too of DPG and FO and I agree, a person can test out sooooo many FO's!!!!!!!!! In my home, I will also have a couple of them going at one time with different oils but then again, I'm quite the FO HO..:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I had posted about this a few days ago, lost the thread of course, but the oils that places like B&BW and others sell for directly into burners - they don't say to add water, so what are they using that you can sell it and have a consumer pour directly without adding water?

No fragrances I've ever bought commercially have ever asked to add water, just directly in a tealight burner. I don't get the black gunky and I burn it all the way til it's evaporated.

Since none of the pre-purchased bottles say to add water etc., I Think what MissMary was asking is if this is actually how you mix and bottle it for sale? A 50/50 ration of DPG and FO?..

Mt Annie :)

==============

I had posted about this a few days ago, lost the thread of course, but the oils that places like B&BW and others sell for directly into burners - they don't say to add water, so what are they using that you can sell it and have a consumer pour directly without adding water?

No fragrances I've ever bought commercially have ever asked to add water, just directly in a tealight burner. I don't get the black gunky and I burn it all the way til it's evaporated.

I don't add water to mine, and I have read on The Body Shop site that they recommend water in the burner, and a few drops of the oil until desired scent. So I guess you can do it either way. I use the oil mixture (Olive oil/FO or DPG/FO) straight into the burner. I have not had issues with the burner ever smoking or getting gunky.

Hey, does anyone have a good label idea for these?

• 3 months later...

I can't remember the site (it's a soapers site maybe) that it will check flash point for you. When I put dpg in the calculator, it LOWERS the flashpoint on oils. Olive oil may be more expensive, but it's safer!

As to adding water to the bowl, we tried that once. Water evaporates, leaving the oil behind..kind of. It leaves behind a sizzling, smoking MESS. We sell the oils in 1 oz bottles, 25% olive oil, 75% fo.

Just my 2 cents. I've heard that dpg produces a 'cleaner burn', whatever that means...it's just oil, no wick involved...but that it also changes the scent a bit, especially the longer it burns.

ReneeM,The site is www.lotioncrafter.com they have a flashpoint calculator. I am not chemist, and I don't claim to know

squat. But I disagree with your statement that DPG lowers

your final FP. If I have a oil with a flashpoint of 150 and I

use it at 25% and I use DPG with a flashpoint of 280 and use

that at 75%. My final flashpoint is 247.5, so how does this

lower my final FP of my oil? Olive oil is safer? perhaps a chemist

will chime in, but OO does have a higher flashpoint.

Alot of people use OO and DPG, water, straight, and who knows

what else.

oops I said that wrong! Sorry! It doesn't lower the flashpoint, but it's lower than what you would have with Olive Oil (using that as an example). If people are using a tealight with the oils I would worry about a fp of 247.5. I know people that have let almost everything in the pot burn away to where there is very little liquid left in it. At that point, it wouldn't be hard to achieve a temp of 247 degrees.

I've heard good things and bad about dpg, I've always been too afraid to use it.

Thanks for the link btw, I'd lost it when my old computer crashed ages ago! lol

Steve at the Candlemakersstore.com carries the Dpg at a good price so i guess check and see who is closer to you to save on shipping.

You mostly see people selling the burning oils in 1/2oz bottles amber or clear, I use clear but I don't cut my oils before selling to the customer I sell bottles of staight Dpg so they can cut as to their taste if they like.

I just found a new supplier for the 1/2oz bottle with a dropper for .12each you have to buy 540 at a time but it saves money in the long run.

Angie

I sell a 1oz bottle of half FO and half DPG. I also tell my customers to add a few drops of water in the warmer when they burn it. I have never had any trouble nor have my customers had any. And they sell like crazy for me. Regina