melting wickless

what a fan-tabulous idea! Jars on hot plates have always worried me because wax expands... I have visions of a glass container shattering...

Plus it seemed a little backwards to heat the wax from the bottom up - cause the scent escapes from THE TOP...

Yes, wax expands but not enough to cause problems since it goes UP. If the container was tightly capped while being heated, I would worry. Otherwise, don't lose sleep over expanding wax in a glass container.

However, these items are certainly interesting...

they carry these at www.candlewarmer.com and you can purchase wholesale. I'm not sure what the min. order is. maybe someone else who has purchased one of these can chime in. It is unique-probably similar to the melters that use light bulbs to melt the wax..

would love to get in on a co-op if these are something worthwhile.

edited to add i found a post from 2 years ago...

this was the price: wholesale is $13.95, minimum order 6, I can't remember what the opening order minimum is, but you can probably buy just one case.

and this is the thread: http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3071&highlight=aurora+candle+lamp

i went to this site http://www.heatedscents.com listed in the past thread and they still carry them, so i signed up to see what their wholesale prices are/and min-if you don't have to buy so much it would be better. plus, the candlewarmer.com requires business references.

heather

Plus it seemed a little backwards to heat the wax from the bottom up - cause the scent escapes from THE TOP...

I know what you mean. Maybe the original intent of those hot plates was to melt a small tart, and not a whole jar. When melting a whole jar, it doesn't make sense to me to heat from the bottom, for then you'd have to melt the whole thing, don't you. By heating from the top, it might even make the scent last longer.

Yes, wax expands but not enough to cause problems since it goes UP. If the container was tightly capped while being heated, I would worry. Otherwise, don't lose sleep over expanding wax in a glass container.

Sorry, but I disagree. Perhaps paraffin because of its elasticity and prolonged softening prior to melting might present less of an issue, but harder waxes, such as palm wax or soy votive and pillar blends are poor choices. When the wax adheres tightly to the jar and does not soften before melting the way paraffin and container-type soy waxes do, palm wax can expand at the bottom and crack a jar easily. Votive and pillar soy waxes could present the same problem because they are HARD and do not allow the liquid wax to rise. The more wax is in a container, the greater the danger of expansion cracking of the glass, particularly before the "candle" has become liquid.

Many folks think that ANY kind of wax is suitable for these wickless "candles" and that is NOT accurate nor wise! Only softer, low melting point waxes should be used. :wink2:

Many folks think that ANY kind of wax is suitable for these wickless "candles" and that is NOT accurate nor wise! Only softer, low melting point waxes should be used. :wink2:

Stella, what do you think about using votive wax for tarts? I use 4630 for wickless, and it is both soft and has a low melt point. But I use 4794 for tarts, as do many other people. I have not had any problems, but I use a small thick glass bowl on a warmer, or a tart warmer. The wax does not get "trapped" inside a deep jar. Your thoughts? Thanks.

I have to ask the question... how hot are the light bulbs in these things? It doesn't seem like they would be hot enough to melt a wickless or jar candle. But then again, I've never used any of the lamp type melters and am completely clueless about them. It just doesn't seem hot enough. And if it is, doesn't the bulb have to be very close (unsafely close) to the wax?

Very curious.:grin2:

Stella, what do you think about using votive wax for tarts?
I use any of my waxes for tarts, even C3, but I make little tarts (1/2 oz.) and only use 2 at a time. I don't make "wickless candles."
The wax does not get "trapped" inside a deep jar. Your thoughts?
I agree that the shallower wax level is much safer than a deep container full of wax. I use one or two in my melter (a 6 oz. tin on an electric warmer) which only amounts to about 1/4 - 1/2 inch deep when melted. It scents the entire bathroom, hallway and even penetrates into the rooms coming off the hallway with many fragrances. One or two little tarts will last a couple of weeks before the FO fades away (my melter usually stays plugged in 24/7). Whether I use a 6 oz. tin full or only an ounce, the amount of surface area from which the scent is released is the same. I like to change my scents frequently, so the half-ounce tarts suit my purposes well.

It is not only glass containers stress cracking that is worrisome with deeper, fuller containers - Members here have reported in other threads that hot wax can also shoot out of deep containers with a thick unmelted top layer. This would be disconcerting. :shocked2:

http://www.aurorasignaturecandlelamp.com/lamps.htm

Looking for these at wholesale prices. This just might be the way to go.

Sharon, those are KOOL!! I like they way they heat from the top, similarly to the way a wick heats a candle. Thanks for the other link too, cammo! I wanna try these!

Blazerina, I didn't see the wattage of the bulbs, but those look PLENTY warm enough to melt wax! Not sure about palm, but even a low wattage bulb could create a surprising amount of heat, especially when directed down into the jar.

Did y'all see all the pretty different shades available for these? :drool:

The bulb looks likes a Halogen. And instructions say it will melt top and when the top part of wax quits smelling then pour it off and melt the next layer. So the wax would just melt a little at a time. I guess?

You are right on all accounts. These lamps are amazing, almost better than tart warmers. I sold quite a few of them a while back and everyone loves them. They are not new. Been out about 2 years or so I think.

Hi,

Using a filled container for melting wickless candles can be very dangerous! HUSBANDS FREAK OUT!!!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

You guys might think this is funny after you read just what happened here Sunday morning.

I read and checked out the Candle Warmers,thought Oh that's cute :)

Read on to the wattages of them.This is where the trouble began.My son was just complaining that I never use my coffee cup warmer he bought me for Xmas I have it on my desk,usually keep a can of soda on it,but any whoo.I checked the wattages on that,it was lower then the lamps.So I took it into the living room, placed a container on it, (Palm Wax) turned it on walked away.Asked my husband to keep an eye on it.

Hubby's watching his beloved Packers Play,I think they won.All's going well.My Golden Retriever has forgotten that I'm his favorite chew toy (My Elbows) It was a great Sunday morning :grin2:

Not 20 minutes later,I'm busy working in the kitchen and I hear..

HEYYYYYYYYY SOMETHING JUST SNAPPED IN HERE!!!!!!!!!

I had my suspicions about what he was talking about,but wasn't in any hurry to own up to my mistake either:cool2:

Well the container had snapped,shattered,leaked all over the warmer,and glass table top :(

There was no room for the melted wax to go.we found pieces of shattered glass 2 ft away.Luckily noone was hurt,that wax was extremely hot.

I have learned my lessons well.I hope noone here try's that stunt at home like I did.Be careful.

Munky.

:shocked2::shocked2: YIKES!! MUNKY!! :shocked2::shocked2: Glad nothing was damaged and no one was hurt! Good thing your golden was chomping on you 'cause it's a B*TCH to get palm wax outta dog hair... we accidentally...ummmm... "waxed" the weird hair on our terrier mix's head once... (only spilled a little bit - please don't sic PETA on us)!

He didn't appreciate the living "dipped critter" look, but he smelled GREAT! :laugh2:

Speaking of safety issues and containers of melted wax, I extinguished a container candle last night and put it up on the shelf MOMENTS before the fat Twisted Sister cat jumped on the table exactly where it had just been burning! She NEVER does that 'cause she's too fat and there's always too much stuff on the coffee table anyway, but you know cats - they get these wild hairs and do unpredictable stuff...:rolleyes2 Dodged a bullet that time! :lipsrseal

Hope everyone will be vigilant and remember that wickless doesn't mean "safe" - it just means there probably will not be fire involved...:wink2: