Helpful Advice from Veterans to Newbies

This confuses me. I think most of the peep here (or at least a good percentage of them) add fo before the dye so they can watch it and make sure it incorporates with the wax. And what does that have to do w/ending up grabbing the wrong bottle of dye and ending up with brown candles? I'm perplexed on this one.

I thought she meant that if you add the colour first and get it how you want it, maybe the colour of the oil itself may affect the finished colour :confused: What colour is Spiced Cranberry oil? Is it brown?

Anjie,x.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how old or how much time and money spent before you can consider yourself to be a veteran? Just curious...:P

I've only been doing this sense 2001, so I consider myself still new. I'd say 10-15yrs++++ Mega $$$ I can't even think about it. The testing alone depending on how many different products you have is thousands.

I have one to add so far, not sure what you all stir your wax with, but I use paint sticks. Whenever you go to Home Depot or Lowes pick up a handful.

I wear aprons, just in case of a splatter. Do get into this thinking it's a way to make money, it Takes your money for certain. Keep your day job.

Ann Marie......I hold you personally responsible for this one lol....you jinxed me by reminding me of all the stupid things I've done over the years.....and now....just yesterday.......yet another lol. Someone said not to squeeze the dye bottle, to use a pin if it didn't come out easily.....sure, that would have been the SMART thing to do, but would have taken time......so, nooooooooo, I decided to squeeze a little harder. I didn't THINK about the end popping off (THEY DO). I have the darkest red batch that is humanly possible......even crayola doesn't have this color!!! LOL Luckily, my candle shop is in the basement, and luckily I had on old clothes but still........dang it!!!

Arrrghhhhhhhh

how old or how much time and money spent before you can consider yourself to be a veteran? Just curious...:P

I would say you're a veteran if you've had 10 of these things happen to you..sort of a baptism by fire (pardon the pun)

Darla: I did the same thing with a bottle of liquid brown from BCN thankfully my guardian angel was somewhere in the room and the dye bottle was pointing down into the kitchen sink.....OH OH OH...I have another one..Do not blow out your candle on your tartburner gustily..I now have wax on my tv room windows, floor, stereo speaker..you get my drift...and no matter how fabu black candles look, don't set them on a doily unless you want your doily to look like it's on the coffee table at the Addam's Family Living Room...

I started this thread because I felt like a moron everytime I would read all of the informative things to be found on this board...one day I read a reply and I thought to myself..this person is a candle goddess but we all can't be candle goddesses, surely someone other than myself poured hot wax while wearing flip flops???!!!! So I was curious and of course you ladies and gentlemen didn't let me down...we learn from mistakes..hopefully someone elses mistake will help you from having history repeating itself..lol

I put my digital scale inside a big plasitc freezer baggie so if any wax drips it drips onto the baggie and not the scale itself.

I also line my pan with foil when I put them in the oven so I dont have to clean the cookie sheet just toss away the foil

Before I got a turk n surf, I used to melt my wax double boiler method. I'd weigh into a bowl and then dump into the top pan so things could get melting. I don't even want to admit how many times I'd scoop flakes, measure, dump, repeat, repeat, and then forget how much wax I had already put in the pan.

So word for the wise.... if you are doing multiple repetitions of measuring and melting, write down each and every time you add wax! Else those creative three, four and five letter words will be heard in your kitchen, just like mine. :embarasse

• 1 month later...

Multiple aromas for all white candles? Cut apart a paper bag - put it on the table - lay out the jars or votives - draw lines and write the aromas on the paper in front of the containers! Just flip it over for the next batch.

Saves from getting overloaded with jars that have a big "?" on the label.

This confuses me. I think most of the peep here (or at least a good percentage of them) add fo before the dye so they can watch it and make sure it incorporates with the wax. And what does that have to do w/ending up grabbing the wrong bottle of dye and ending up with brown candles? I'm perplexed on this one.

I can't believe yall don't understand what I said. I said I added the Spiced Cranberry FO first then accidentally grabbed the brown dye instead of red! It's not that hard to figure out!

I understood you txgirl but maybe because I've done something similar once or twice. :o

My advice is to not put your little basket of liquid dyes on the edge of your counter top where they could accidentally get knocked to the floor. You'll have a truly ugly spot in your vinyl floor of no particular color that nothing can get out not even bleach.:(