Helpful Advice from Veterans to Newbies

I just thought it might be fun to impart some of our wisdom as veteran candle makers to newbies...I don't mean the stuff that you can read on the forum..I mean stuff you might have learned the hard way..for example...my advice to newbies would be. DON'T WEAR FLIP FLOPS WHEN YOU'RE POURING CANDLES..OR DON'T POUR NEAR YOUR KITCHEN GROUT..both of these lessons I learned a bit too late...burned toes and having to regrout my kitchen later I now know those are two things I should never try again. Okay ladies and gentlemen...what is something you learned from making candles that you will never do again? Let's see how some of us fumbled in the beginning.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah.....dont pour wax down your sink! And NO it wasnt me it was my husband! lol....go figure if it was me I would have been in sh*t !!!! lol.....Oh another thing make sure to write down what you are using for each batch (additives, f/o, dye, pouring temps etc). Then you will know what to change, keep or even just to repeat the batch

If you use a presto pot, please see what the temp is before you add your dye and FO. If not your whole house will be filled with good smelling smoke. And if your like me your nosy neighbors will call the fire department and you will look like an ass in front of all of your friends.

That happened 2 yrs. ago and I still hear comments from them, lol.

Wear old clothes when making candles, even though you think your being careful not getting any dye on them you still some how get dye on your clothes. I ruined many shirts.

That's all I can think of, oh and wash your hands especially after pouring Red Hot that FO burns like a you know what.

When you get done melting excess wax from your pour pot and jars in the oven, don't just leave them in there to cool off. Take them out.... I've done that a couple of times and forgot them. Turning the oven back on later at 350 tends to make them smoke. :grin2:

Thought of another tip. Dollar store hand and bath towels and lots of them. I put one hand towel under my presto pot and i've got enough open space to wipe my thermometer, mixxing spoon and a place to put my FO and dye while waiting for the wax to melt.

Bath towl on the floor to catch drips from the pot, bath towl on the stove under my non stick cookie sheet to catch the drips the sheet doesn't catch(saved me from the wrath of my wife)

I bought about 15 hand towel and have thrown 3 away so far from the exess wax build up.

Oh yeah and Check the spout on the pot to make sure it's closed before melting wax, covered my floor and counter with wax lost 4 lbs of wax in the process

Paper towels, aluminum foil, wax paper and newspapers are your best friends. Newspaper the floor when making candles. So much easier to pick up the papers than scrap wax off the floor. No matter how careful you try to be stuff happens. I put the wax paper / foil on the counters. Should have bought stock in both companies. Now buy paper towels at Sam's Club by the 12 pack.

Line the top of your scale with foil. So much easier to replace the foil than clean the scale.

Paper Dixie cups are a Godsend. Another company I should have bought stock in. If using a paper cup to weigh out FO be sure to immediately pour it into your pour pot. Never use plastic cups to weigh out FO. Amazing how fast the FO can eat through that plastic.

Gardening gloves are a must for cleaning molds especially votive cups. I haven't sliced my fingers / hand (knock on wood) since wearing the gloves.

This should be a given but have a fire extinguisher nearby and know how to use it. No one plans on having a fire but stuff happens.

Never fall asleep while melting wax in a double boiler. I've heard that a scorched pot stinks bad. Of course I wouldn't know. LOL

Another one...buy a good digital scale and a good digital thermometer...they are great investments. My digital thermometer has a temp alarm that I can set which is great when you are multi-tasking (not that any of us ever have to do that) and alerts you when your wax reaches your set temp. It also has a timer so I can be sure I am mixing FO for at least 2 full minutes.

Roll up your sleeves or wear short sleeves.

DEFINITELY tie your hair back.

Have a mister bottle of water set to "stream" for when your cat walks on the table where you are working.

Throw the dogs out while pouring.

Strain your wax when pouring. Saves giving away valued pet hair, dust, Presto Pot bits and lint with your candles and tarts.

At LEAST wear socks.

Rehearse pouring in your mind so that you will be more efficient and smooth when you pour for real.

BEFORE you pour, get EVERYTHING out of the way around your container or mold.