Suppliers Throwback Thread

With the question posted about how long we have been making candles. Made me remember when I got started in 2000.

So I thought it would be fun to start a thread about suppliers we used to use and that have come and gone bye bye.

1. Craftstore.com - was my very first supplier. I know some people did not like them. But they were very nice to me I always got my stuff. I liked the customer service on the phone as well.

Anyone else?

Oh man. The very first supplies I bought were from some company called a lighted stick. The fo's were AWFUL, no good instructions - the color blocks SUCKED. I know they're gone now, and for good reason. It's a wonder I even continued on after I got that batch of stuff. Their customer service was nonexistant, also.

I loved Chermark. She had some wonderful oils which thankfully, Aroma Haven now carries. Patties was another good supplier. She had the best Vanilla Lace and I can't find another just like it anywhere. Bubbles and Lights, man I miss her. Yes, BCN carries some of her oils but not all. And she had the very best Spiced Vanilla in this world. I still hoard a bottle of it and use it for myself.

The first supplier I ever used was the Wax House, back in 1999. I was melting down old candles and buying my new wax at Wal-Mart in the crafting department--I think it was around $2-$3 for an 8-oz bag of granulated wax to use in making "sand art-type" candles--it was the only wax I could find, so I melted that expensive stuff down and poured candles!

Then I discovered Missy's and her single-pour wax and my life changed forever after! I remember when I ordered that first 50-pound case of wax, I thought that would probably last me the rest of my life--I couldn't imagine ever pouring all that.

It was over a year after my first Missy's purchase that I discovered BitterCreek, then candle-making bulletin boards and found out there were LOTS of suppliers out there!! Many, many thousands of dollars later, the saga continues..............

Jane

My first supplier was Candlewhat (here in the UK), dreadful customer service, email them no reply, phone them got an answer machine. Needless to say not long after I received my last pallet of wax from them, they closed. I got my first oil samplers from them and then found Cierra. Then there was SoapnCandles now taken over by AH. Recently got oils from Peaks and just placed another order :)

I started with Michaels.....what a disaster that was. I searched the internet right away (after almost burning down the house with a tealight) and found a message board, it was Todd's, can't even remember the name....maybe the Scent Review. From then I hit every supplier out there, I was like a kid in a candy shop with all those little 1 oz bottles of FO. I think I did a lot of my buying from BCN to begin with, and found Sissies, and Missy's, Ms. Randy (what a lady), and the list goes on. Was glad to find Peaks board and their scents finally in 2003. I suppose 99% of us started making candles cause it would be fun and easy. Oh how little did I know. Almost burned down the house and then it put me in the poor house, and I'm still learning.....don't think that part ever ends.

Anyone here ever heard of Barker Candle Supply? They were an older company that is out of business now. I happened on someone selling a box full of their dye rounds for $20 total from an estate sale. I bought them and got about 20 rounds per bag and about 20 bags of different colors total. I still use them and probably will forever--I have only ever had to buy the odd color to cover the ones I don't have.

I bought my first candle making kit from Vicky at King House Candles which is 7 miles from my home and continued with her until she closed down, but during that time I found the Candle Cauldron Board and BC, which is my supplier still!! And I surfed the net to find all the other great suppliers out there and all the amazing candle & soap boards loaded with information. That is how I found Just Scent who is also only a little over an hour from home!