Curing?

Ida, mostly it is for the scent throw, but to be honest, I have noticed that candles which have been stored for some months (ummm...maybe years...:embarasse) actually seem to burn better. Not anything I can put my finger on - just that the burn seems slower and smoother, if that makes any sense. Often, the scent throw is diminished by time and the candles may be showing signs of frosting and look shopworn, but they make up for it by burning so truly...

I don't think ANYONE, even the most patient "curer" would wait a year before burning their candles though... Curing for a couple of weeks does wonderful things for scent throw but the effects on the burn take much longer... HTH :D

I certainly notice a difference in my scent throw when I let them cure for at least 1 week. However, I have noticed that wicks that gave me a good burn & correct melt pool when tested within the first few days after making the candle sometimes do not give the same results when I test them several weeks or months later. I have had wicks that tunneled or didn't reach a full melt pool when tested several months after making but they had previously burned just fine when tested within the first few days after making them. Different wax, different people, different results.

That would make sense if curing did make the wax harder. When you burn right away the wax is still soft, so your melt pool will be bigger. I just poured some candles in really cute christmas tins I got from Michael's. They have seams, so I am pouring much cooler than I usually do, but burned it right away because I DON"T want the melt pool to go to the square corners (it's not, hooray!), and figured if it doesn't go that far today, it won't a month from now.