Ugh, frustrated about lotion amounts in jars

tarynjms

I'm making sampler sized lotion in jars. I bought what I thought were 1 ounce rounded double wall jars. But when I put the lotion in the jars & re-weigh, I get a weight of anywhere between 1.85-2.15 of lotion in the jar. What gives? & I did check to make sure that I do have the one ounce sized jars & that there was no mistake. I guess I can't market it as a one ounce sized jar can I? Anyone else find this?

The jar alone, with no lid on it, weighs .55 oz. When I add lotion to it, I get a reading of 2.55 oz with one jar. The second jar I got a reading of 2.45 oz once I added lotion to it. If I'm buying a 1 ounce jar, I'm assuming it means that it will hold one ounce worth of product? I guess not!

Thank you for any help

No, I meant 1 ounce in weight (oz wt) versus 1 fluid ounce (fl oz) in volume.

Volume is the amount of space your lotion occupies, not how much it weighs. For example, if you whip butter, it will double in volume (become much, much fluffier and take up more space in the bowl) because you're whipping air in, but the weight remains the same.

The metric equivalents are:

oz = g

fl oz = ml

It could be that your jar uses the measurement of 1 fl oz (~30ml) rather than 1 oz weight (~30g).

The standard should be the weight or volume of water. If your lotion has ingredients that are denser than water, it'll be heavier.

It'd be easier for you to just label it by fl oz, rather than weight. If you really want to go by weight though, pour while it's on the scale and tweak accordingly.

Well, it would be much easier to just label it "1 fl oz" :)

It's really your choice though, if you'd rather go by weight, that can do as well, though it might be harder to get it consistent, especially if you have several recipes.

If you put a whipped butter and a balm into the same jars, they'd weigh significantly different. The same 2 (fl) oz jar may take 2 oz wt of balm, but only 0.5 oz wt of whipped butter.

Then you've got batch differences... if you whip one batch of butter slightly more than the last, you'll have less weight for the same volume of whipped butter compared to your previous batch!

... and no problem, the point of this forum is to help one another learn... I've learned a lot here, just about everyone's pretty helpful, so it's only fair that I share some love! :D

You know what you just made me realize: I put each different product in a different kind of jar-bottle-container! I don't use the same "container" for multiple products, at this point. This is probably why I've never stopped to think about this whole problem! I guess the day I would have tried to put a denser item like a "butter" or a lighter, more "whipped" product into the same jar I'd only used for a thinner lotion in the past, I would've then seen the significant difference when it came time to weigh! Thanks again so much for your help. :rockon:( I like this rockin smilie)

Then you've got batch differences... if you whip one batch of butter slightly more than the last, you'll have less weight for the same volume of whipped butter compared to your previous batch!

So how would you label each batch? If someone orders today's batch you would put the amount in a jar/container, weigh & label it whatever today's weight was. And then if someone orders next week, from a new batch, thier label would have that weeks batch weight after put into it's jar? AHhhhhhh! Where is the smiley ripping it's hair out of it's head?

I personally weigh every jar & bottle that I package. My label reflects the net weight of that product in that package as it was made. I don't want to risk something changing without even realizing the change.

I just feel better (and more professional) knowing that my label reflects the exact weight of each jar or bottle that I have made.

If you want only 1oz. of product in each jar, then you only fill them with 1oz. it's as simple as that. ;)

If you want to fill them, then put the 2oz. in each.

But if you're selling these or even just giving them away, you can't have all different weights in the same size jar/product.

But if you're selling these or even just giving them away, you can't have all different weights in the same size jar/product.

But then why have I bought things from other etailers & on their site it will, for example, say:

Lotion & give you a choice of a 1 oz size, a 2-oz size, a 4-oz size

then also,

Body Butter & give a choice of a 1-oz size, 1 2-oz size, a 4-oz size, etc.

So, I order, let's say, the 2 oz sizes of each:

Ok, I get the 2 oz lotion in the mail & the 2 oz butter in the mail & they are in the same exact jars. Clearly, the butter is heavier, but they are both on the sites for sale as 2 oz sizes.

Or another example: I'll buy these:

2 oz Hair & Protein Mist and also a 2 oz Cyclo/FO perfume.

Both in the same "2 0z" bottle, but clearly the Cyclo perfume is heavier?

I don't mean to overexhaust this subject /thread, I apologize for that. But I appreciate all your responses.

No- you're not understanding at all!

I mean if you're offering a certain product (your sample body butter) and you want these to be offered at 1oz NET weight- then you need to stick each jar on the scale, tare out the weight of the jar, then fill it until it says 1oz.

You don't have to fill the jars to the top (by volume).

You can't have a bunch of the same product on a display with all different weights-you would then have to have a different price for each one. Not gonna work!

You could offer another product in the SAME jar with a different net weight but they all need to be uniform amongst each type.

You don't want people saying "hmm last time I ordered this same product I got 2oz and now I get only 1.5oz??"

Not too sure, but I'll assume that they're going by volume then, rather than weight. When you really think about it, 2oz is a little vague, it's doesn't quite state weight (wt) or fluid volume (fl).

NOTE: Just looked up fluid ounces, and this statement from wikipedia clears up a few points:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_ounce

In either system, the unit is often abbreviated as fl. oz., oz. fl., or fl oz. In the USA, it is common to refer to the unit simply as an "ounce", especially in cases where no confusion can occur with the unit of weight.

So it's a cultural thing, I guess. "oz" in the US is used interchangeably between volume and weight, it just needs to be taken in context.

With that in mind, I'd assume jars are categorized by fluid ounces rather than weight. It makes sense, since you can somewhat standardize how much volume goes into the jar, but not how heavy the substance will be.

Hope this helps!

Not too sure, but I'll assume that they're going by volume then, rather than weight. When you really think about it, 2oz is a little vague, it's doesn't quite state weight (wt) or fluid volume (fl).

NOTE: Just looked up fluid ounces, and this statement from wikipedia clears up a few points:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_ounce

In either system, the unit is often abbreviated as fl. oz., oz. fl., or fl oz. In the USA, it is common to refer to the unit simply as an "ounce", especially in cases where no confusion can occur with the unit of weight.

So it's a cultural thing, I guess. "oz" in the US is used interchangeably between volume and weight, it just needs to be taken in context.

With that in mind, I'd assume jars are categorized by fluid ounces rather than weight. It makes sense, since you can somewhat standardize how much volume goes into the jar, but not how heavy the substance will be.

Hope this helps!

I don't think that's gonna help her-it even confused ME and I know the difference between volume and actual weight! LOL

Poster needs to study up on the differences between the two and B&B labelling regulations before even attempting to sell ANYTHING!

Made sense to me. I struggled with this issue for awhile until I figured out how I wanted to handle it.

For items that I carry in a bottle that I think of as kind of liquidy, like lotion, shower gel, liquid soap, etc.... I use fluid ounces and note XVY fl oz on the container.

For items that seem more solid to me, like lip balm, creams or butters, scrubs (when I make them), candles, etc.... I use net weight on my container. I look at my weight variations and make sure that the container has at least that much product in it -- and probably more. No regulatory agency or customer is going to penalize me for having slightly more product than I have listed.

I'm sure there are people who do it completely differently and would be disapproving of the choices I've made. That's okay -- and I might even change my mind some day.

"I mean if you're offering a certain product (your sample body butter) and you want these to be offered at 1oz NET weight- then you need to stick each jar on the scale, tare out the weight of the jar, then fill it until it says 1oz".:

That is exactly what I do. I weigh EVERYTHING.

"I look at my weight variations and make sure that the container has at least that much product in it -- and probably more."

I do this as well. I always end up having more product in the jar.

Thanks for everyone taking the time to chime in.

I don't think that's gonna help her-it even confused ME and I know the difference between volume and actual weight! LOL

Poster needs to study up on the differences between the two and B&B labelling regulations before even attempting to sell ANYTHING!

Perhaps I wasn't very clear, and I apologize for that.

Both oz weight and fluid oz are still technically ounces. It appears to be commonly assumed that oz without "fl" is weightage. If you scout around though, you'll notice that for products that go by weight there are some labels that list oz wt, and not just oz, which in my opinion is more accurate.

As for the second comment, Malaysia uses the metric system (g and ml). I don't actually need to know the difference between ounces to sell anything.

Having a tiny bit over the posted weight is fine, although if you're weighing it you should be able to get it exact by just adding/removing product.

If you consisently are adding more though you're just cutting yourself short cuz it does add up after a while.

I just don't see the problem I guess.

Just find out the max your container will hold, then decide exactly how much you want to put in it and do it!

Most everything is filled by weight NOT volume-thats too inconsistent.

Just for instance- a bag of chips is never filled to the top of the bag, they decide howmuch they want in it and then weigh out that much into the bag-hence the reason they're always only half full of chips. ;)

I've given all the advice I can.

I now give up!!