Please Help...Customer Says "Candle just smells like wax!!!"

Kimmi

:confused: I have been making container candles for 4 years and always test everything!! I sold a cinnamon candle on Friday to a jeweler who was interested in carrying our candles in his store. Well, I called to check on things today and his wife says..."at first it smelled real good but now it just smells like wax." Now, I know my candles smell and smell yummy other candles from the same batch in which she purchased smell and burn great. I of course offered to bring her another candle ASAP - but my question is ...How should I have responded? Our cinnamon stick candles are one of my least favorite candle because it smells so strong (hot and cold). It is very hard for me to burn it in my home for very long. Until I actually see the candle I can't give any more information. I plan to see her this afternoon to carry her a new candle. Any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated - as this has never happened to me before.

~Kimmi:sad2:

Try explaining to her that different noses smell different scents.

What smells strong for one person may be a lighter scent for another.

I have a hard time smelling cinnamon scents. I really have to rely on my testers to help me on those. I just can't pick up those notes as strong...:sad2:

Don't even offer her a replacement candle, just bring her a a bakery scented candle to try, you can't go wrong with those..

Ask for the one she has back so that you may test it to find out if there was an isolated problem with it.

Good Luck...

Is the new candle you're bringing her from the same batch? Did you test a candle from the original batch?

Not really much you can do that you aren't already (ie. bringing her a new candle) just take it to her, aplogize and then go home and burn the original candle and see/sniff for yourself.

I find it hard to believe that a cin. candle would smell like straight wax even if it was under scented. That's wierd! :confused:

Was the candle she was burning a free sample? A lot of people will quickly snap up any free item you offer to try before you buy with no intention of ever buying anything and will later make up phoney reasons why they aren't interested in buying them.

Another theory, maybe she's a smoker. A lot of smokers reek of nicotine and don't have an accurate sense of smell. Their noses are just messed up.

Tell her you would like the candle back to analyze it, because hers is the first complaint you've ever had and you're very concerned, because quality is your top priority. Then give her the alternate candle and assure her that the second candle will be fragranced throughout.

Was the candle she was burning a free sample? A lot of people will quickly snap up any free item you offer to try before you buy with no intention of every buying anything and will later make up phoney reasons why they aren't interested in buying them.

Another theory, maybe she's a smoker. A lot of smokers reek of nicotine and don't have an accurate sense of smell. Their noses are just messed up.

Tell her you would like the candle back to analyze it, because hers is the first complaint you've ever had and you're very concerned, because quality is your top priority. Then give her the alternate candle and assure her that the second candle will be fragranced throughout.

I totally agree with sockmonkey. Another thing is maybe she needs to leave the room and come back in. I know that sometimes when I am burning a candle I can't always smell it when I am in the room but when I leave the room and come back in I can.

I totally agree with sockmonkey. Another thing is maybe she needs to leave the room and come back in. I know that sometimes when I am burning a candle I can't always smell it when I am in the room but when I leave the room and come back in I can.

Same here. Always notice the smell more when I leave the room and come back in. I think spending time with the scent, you tend to forget it is there.

I am not sure about cinnamon because I have never tested that scent, but I mixed a batch of caramel apple over a month ago and every single one of them (used up a whole 8 oz bottle) smell like wax burning with no scent too. And I'm not the only one that thinks so. So I wouldn't think that she would be fibbin' to ya. It can happen.

Dawn

Well,

To answer the question above, it was not a sample - she purchased the candle. I visited her business Friday evening and replaced her candle with another cinnamon candle from a previous pour. Again, I had previously tested this batch of candles and know this candle smells like cinnamon and burns correctly. Fast forward to yesterday...I visited her business again to just check and see and again she complains says it stinks and does not smell like cinnamon. So, I gave her a candy cane candle to replace it. I brought the cinnamon candle home and tested it for myself. The candle burns and smells like cinnamon - just like the first one I brought home from her. If she is not satisfied with the candy cane candle, I am done. I don't know what else to do. Thank you to all those who posted helpful comments above.

~Kimmi