Rendering Tallow

elitenaildesign

Didnt want to hijack the tallow thread, but just realised rifle season for deer hunting starts Sat. and being my family is big into hunting, I will be up to my neck in deer "stuff". I guess I should just google, but does anyone know a site that give tips or pointers on rendering deer tallow. I'm not gonna lie, I dont even know what rendering is:p I also hear deer tallow is fantastic, so why not try it right?

I don't think you would have been hijackig that thread they were very helpful. I guess I must gave hijacked it though cause I didnt know it was a specific animal tallow...just plain ol tallow...but anyway. I read a little about rendering tallow and the way i understand it, is if you can boil a pork roast or beef roast or any fatty meat, you've rendered tallow...LOL of course there is the baking method but boiling seems easier to me. Once it's boiled and then it chills the oils rise to the top and you scoop that off the top and theres your tallow/ soap fat...anybody can correct me if I am wrong because again I did a little reading and i'm not an expert:rolleyes2

I told my hunter friend if I had time I would not only render the tallow but tan the hides and make beads from the bones...must be the native american part of me:cheesy2: gosh i wish there were three of me...uh wait maybe there is:naughty:

I used to render suet into tallow, it involved putting the stuff in a large pot with salt and lots of water and cooking it. Can't remember how long or why or anything, but I do remember that every surface in the kitchen was covered in grease. Google it, you'll probably find answers there. Have fun!

I've always started by baking the fat chunks in the oven, pouring off the fat as it melts out. Then I've cleaned the tallow by boiling the rendered out fat in water, cool it and lift the tallow off the top of the water and scrape the bottom as you get icky meat bits and such there. Then I repeat the boiling cleaning step until I have a nice clean bar of tallow.

Glo