What do the wick numbers stand for? no hot throw!

I am trying different types of wicks on my candles. I have no idea what the numbers stand for. 44-32-18, 44-24-18, 55-32-18 What do these three numbers represent? How do I know if I am wicking up or down, which number should I be concerned with? I am still not getting a scent throw out of my container candles. I use 1 pound of 4630 wax, assorted sized wicks, 1 oz FO (this time I used candlewic peach and berries) and peake candle 5oz apotherapy containers or the jar store 5oz honey pot jars. Great cold throw, no hot throw. What am I doing wrong here? I cured the candles for two days. Someone please help me.:sad2: I am starting to get discouraged and would hate to give up.

First number is the size of the wick. Second number -- speed the wick was sent through a braiding machine (higher the number the tighter the braid). Third number is a code for the temperature of wax when the wick is fed through the braiding machine.

Either let your candles sit longer and/or use a different FO supplier would be my guess. If your wick doesn't fit the container then you still have to test till you find one that does.

First number is the size of the wick. Second number -- speed the wick was sent through a braiding machine (higher the number the tighter the braid). Third number is a code for the temperature of wax when the wick is fed through the braiding machine.

Scented, would you also have that information for the 2-number wicks such as those from AP? I tried their web site but no luck. I have their charts for melt pool and flame height. Right now I am testing the cottons, 36-24, 36-28, and 34-40. The first few burns all looked the same but now finally the melt pools are starting to look different. Same jar, FO, and wax for all three. Thank you kindly for sharing.

Bittercreek, I will try some of their scents. Thank you! :)

The wicks will be different because these two jar are different.Just because they both are 5oz.'s doesn't mean you wick them the same.

With wicking you have to measure the INSIDE of the WIDEST point of the jar then look up on a wick chart whatever type you are using,find the diameter of the jar you are trying to wick then start there!

Some fragrance oils(fo's) are heavier than others so you may have to wick up for those.Make sure you write everything down for each jar, scent, wick, coloring....!

HTH!!!! Good Luck!!! OHH! Don't forget to TEST burn your candles...that will let you know if you need to wick up or how your scent throw is!!!

Kimmeroo:cheesy2:

Likely it's what's posted. First number is the size. Second number is speed the wick went through the machine. Could also be the third I guess, but unlikely as it's a code that really only they care about.

Thanks, Scented! That is what I needed to know. You mods are the best and I for one, appeciate the time you put in on this board. Coconut