Jump to content

do you seriously


 Share

Recommended Posts

Pine cones in home fireplaces is not a good thing due to creosote build up - the wax itself isn't a problem because the fire burns so hot it burns off any residue. As Ginger said, if you use the search button at the top and put in firestarter or fire starter, you'll got a lot of info.

ets that not everyone uses pine cones in their firestarters, so the ones without are better for home fireplaces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been burning wood in a stove for more years than some of you have been walking and talking and consider myself an expert on the subject.

Contrary to popular belief, creosote IS NOT caused by any particluar type of wood such as pine or pine cones. It is caused ENTIRELY by not burning your stove properly. Creaosote buildup happens as a result of the gases resulting from the fire cooling too quickly before they exit the chimmney. Airtight stoves and improperly used heat exchangers are the biggest culprits.

Woodstoves are sort of like candles in a way. If you burn them properly and with common sense, they are a wonderful thing!! If you burn them like an idiot, you will burn your house down.

FireStarters are perfectly safe to use in your fireplace or woodstove. The "logs" you buy at WalMart and elsewhere are nothing more than wax and pine wood shavings.

People start chimmney fires.......not what they burn in the stove.

1. Clean your chimmney every fall.

2. Burn your stove "hot" for 3 to 5 minutes every day.

and 3. Use common sense..............

Sorry for the lecture..........but it bugs me when I hear people say that pine causes creosote and chimmney fires. I've been burning pine myself for years and never had a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the clarity. We heated half our house with a wood burning stove growing up and lived by those rules. We did have to burn a fair amount of pine (it's what we had sometimes) blended with our harder woods. We started our fires with newspaper too.

BUT we then BLASTED the heat for 5 minutes AFTER the fire was well established. EACH and EVERY day. And the chimney cleaning thing too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you all would burn a firestarter in your backyard and test. You'll see how it all burns up. When you tuck it in some wood and light, the flames will follow the wax and soon you'll have a nice fire. What's the wax going to do to your fireplace? It's only an once or two and if it dripped anywhere it would be down to the bottom and I guess you could scrape it up.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I burned a firestarter in my burn barrel a couple of weeks ago. It was rather cool and true to its name, got the fire started nicely. :). I would probably use a firestarter in a fireplace or woodstove, as well (wish I had one, with the prices of oil as they are! :( ). Like the gal from Kentucky said, it's not much wax or pine even. Give it a try once in a while and I'm sure it won't hurt. Who knows, maybe it'll help... better than using diesel!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think using these in a well-maintained wood fireplace or woodstove would be perfectly safe. I wouldn't use them in a barbecue grill, but I am sure the wood fires consume the wax et al quite completely. We have always used pine cones for kindling/starter.

Thanks for the info about burning pine in fireplaces, DonC. My gramma always used fat pine to start the woodstove & we have burned all kinds of wood from our property - pine, oak, pecan, holly, sweet gum - never had a creosote problem. As you said: common sense and proper maintenance make the difference. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Violet,

Now THAT is STUPID! and very dangerous.......not to mention that it is probably illegal as well. That compares to the thread I saw here recently about the people burning candles in their windows next to their curtins on halloween!!!!!!

Stella.....

We are the same age and grew up in the same era. My parents and grandparents heated their homes entirely with wood. Like you, we used whatever wood was available and never had any problems either. Whatever it took to keep us warm. We lived up the road from a "box shop" and needless to say, we had an endless supply of pine to burn!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Violet,

Now THAT is STUPID! and very dangerous.......not to mention that it is probably illegal as well. That compares to the thread I saw here recently about the people burning candles in their windows next to their curtins on halloween!!!!!!

You're referring to my landlord using diesel fuel to light his woodstove, right? I truly think he does... I was told this by one of my friends who used to rent from him and work for him, so he probably knows as he was working in the guy's house and probably saw him do it. And, I have smelled fuel smells in my bathroom, which is next to his chimney with a wall separating it... never connected it to that, though. Wonder what I should do?

I should make him some firestarters and tell him they're safer than using gas!!!!!!!!! That'll give him a hint that it's not safe and possibly illegal............ right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Violet,

Yes I was talking about your landlord..............not you:yay:

I don't want to start trouble, but if it were me, I would ask him about it. That is a very serious fire hazard! and he is not only putting himself at risk, but your family as well.

I realize you are in a sticky position, him being the landlord and all...........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know! I am quite aware. Did I ever tell you about the bees and wasps???

I hope to be outta here before too long, but you're right. I will be bringing this up when I see him next.

Hi Violet,

Yes I was talking about your landlord..............not you:yay:

I don't want to start trouble, but if it were me, I would ask him about it. That is a very serious fire hazard! and he is not only putting himself at risk, but your family as well.

I realize you are in a sticky position, him being the landlord and all...........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest LightofDawn

I made firestarters for the first time a couple of weeks ago (you can see the pics in the candle gallery). I admit I was a little skeptical about the wax in the fireplace. But once you get the fire started the hot coals burn up the wax in the bottom. Works like a charm. I have a basket sitting next to the fireplace with the firestarters in them and everyone who sees them wants their own.

Dawn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...