jar question

Guest meredean

Guest meredean

ok Ive been making candles for a couple of years now always used 8oz jj & tins, a couple of months ago I decided to get new jars so I got 8oz tumblers(fillmore) and 8 oz Frosted metro (jar store) just thought they had a nicer look & pretty much same size as the jj. So I wicked them the same as jj and have changed wicks several times w/cd Htp & cotton(thinking this was the problem) with scents that are my normal strong ones and they have no scent throw what so ever ,The metro has alittle throw but nothing like the jj and the tumbler there is nothing, I feel like ive sniffed my brains out trying to smell them..its driving me crazy!!

Guest meredean

ky125, yeah I know how it works Ive been doing this for awhile.I just dont understand Im doing everything the same, just new jars, and now they do not scent the same as did my jj.

Thanks for the reply:smiley2:

Mere

Mere, changing containers can give anyone fits trying to get the wicking and hot throw balanced. You said you were disappointed with the throw, but you didn't mention how the new containers are burning...

All I can suggest to you is what I do when I am stumped - I go back to solid footing. First, I would make two candles with a FO I have used previously and KNOW works well for me in the old jar and tin, using the same size wicks as worked before. Let 'em cure a few days and see if they burn and throw as before.

If you are successful in reproducing your previously acceptable results, make the same batch again (same FO), but this time, pour it into the new containers, making 3 of each. Use the same wick as you used in the jelly jar in one, and one step up and one step down in wick size on the other two. See how those go and you'll know whether you need to wick up more or wick down a little.

If the results from retesting your OLD containers do not come out the way you expected, determine if you need to wick up or down, then make the new jar testers based on the new data for the old jars.

DO give your nose a rest during all the testing as candle nose can strike anyone! :) HTH

Guest meredean

Thanks Stella, I am going to go work on this today as like I said it driving me nuts! everyone is waiting on me and its sooo much pressure!

Actually the htp 104 & cd 12 & 14 were the best which is the same as the jj

Thats why Im so stumped on this.....I wasnt sure if it had something to do with the thickness of the glass or something the tumbler is thinner then the jj til the bottom, and the metro is alot thicker 1/4 inch glass on the sides... Who know I will go over try this again and see what happens.

THanks again Mere

This is an interesting dilema. I used to do JJ's and metro's also. I found that with most fo's I used the wame wick. There were only a couple that needed to go up or down by a size. But the throw was never affected, just the mp. Could it be candle nose? If your worried about getting these finished up maybe they are better than you think and your just nervous? Just a thought. I'm sure your covering all your bases. Test someone elses nose with these and see what they think....

Guest meredean

That is what I thought too so I have been having other ppl burn them (my family) and they say the same thing no scent.... The metros are pretty much fine its the tumblers that are being a pita ...

Thanks Mere

I don't know about the tumblers, but the 8 oz metro jar seems a bit wider than the 8 oz jelly jars. I was able to wick the metro with a cd14 in palm wax, but when I tried to wick a jelly with palm, the 14's didn't cut it, even though they worked fine with soy and worked with the metro. :confused:

Weird, huh? You'd think a smaller diameter jar would be ok, or would be a torch, with the same size wick that worked in a larger diameter jar, or that it would need to be wicked down.

It's so much fun beating one's head on the counter after weeks of testing!:yay: I feel your pain, mere; I've been struggling with wicking 3" palm pillars for weeks. Sigh. Good luck!

My three inch palms are wicked with some Yaley cotton flat braid wick from Michael's. It's rated for 2-3 inch candles, and works well. I have some left, so I still use it, then I will switch to my #1/0 square braid cotton wick. My pillars burn closer to the edges and get paper thin...they get stalagtite-type things inside as the flame pulls the wax from the sides...they get very artistic looking. I have a picture in my gallery on my website in my signature to give you an idea.