bigger candle wicking

Hi. Just got tired of the little jjs and masons. Poured a 28 oz. or so candle with cb30 which is about 30% soy and the rest paraffin. It is 4 1/2" in diameter. Do you normally double wick this diameter in paraffin? I have 2 htp 105s in it and it is making an 8 shape as a melt pool on this first burn. Will the two other edges catch up on later ones? This is after about 3 1/2-4 hours. Smells good...vanilla cake. Would other wicks be better? I'd add the pics, but can't seem to figure out how to do it right now. Ideas? TIA. Beth

I use cb30 and htp wicks, have tried zinc and didn't like them at all, have had best luck with htp...give it another burn and you should get a full melt pool...126's would prob. be too big but single wicking with a 1312 doesn't work real well on that large of container..

hth

Melissa

LB, question for you..which way are your wicks curling and how far apart are they spaced? I ask because I set my wicks so that the wicks curl away from each other creating a better melt pool. I'm not familiar with your wax but do agree that you need to burn it a couple more times to see exactly what the 105 will do. Anyway you can post a pic?

Well, I was impatient...just burned it for 12 hours. Figured that's the way my daughter-in-law burns them. The meltpool was a full circle and about 3/4" deep. It smelled great at 7.5% FO. The only thing was pretty big mushrooms and a bit of soot when I moved it back to the kitchen from the bedroom. Had to move it cuz a toddler was visiting and I didn't want any accidents. The glass is near clean wax (just a haze) and no soot. It burned about 1/2" of wax. Not sure if that is good or not. Hi Pam. The wicks are turned outward toward the rim, and are about 1 3/8" apart. I would love to put a picture on. Just can't figure it out. I have the picture down sized to a 2" one, but it tells me it is 200 kbs and too big. Not sure what a kb is and how to change it. Any easy help? Once in a while I can get one to come through and didn't think I made it real small. So much for my computer skills. Hey Melissa, what size htp would you suggest for a sq. mason with the cb30? I tend to get flicking wicks and a small amount of soot no matter what I choose. Maybe I need to cut back on FO? Or maybe just keep making the larger ones. lol. Thanks for the replys. Beth

All of a sudden I moved numbers around and the KBs went down. Still not sure what I did. But here are the two pics after about 3-4 hours.:confused:

post-365-139458436761_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]13621[/ATTACH] It looks like soot in the picture, but none on kleenex. I think it is picking up something in the house as a reflection.

See the big mushroom after 12 hours! Now to see if these really are showing. Beth

post-365-139458436757_thumb.jpg

post-365-139458436771_thumb.jpg

I've never used HTP's but I am testing the CB30 right now and am totally stunned you can double wick...no matter what wicks I tried (double) the flames got puny and barely hung in through a normal burn but no matter how puny the flame the melt pool was always too deep. I wicked up and down with all wicks, reduced my fo load and finally gave up and went to testing in single wick jars...this is a really fast burning wax and the pool gets deep fast too. That said, I love the look and throw of this wax, but it is a toughy to wick...my best success at this stage are with hemps. Ive decided because of the depth of the pool it takes a rigid wick, but my zincs mushroom badly, as do ultra-cores...Im hoping the hemps hang in there to the bottom...we shall see!

Sorry, this didn't answer any of your questions, but from your pics I'd say your wicks are too far apart. When I double wick I butt the tabs right next to each other which puts them about an inch apart and keeps them away from the sides so the glass doesn't get too hot.

As for the mushroom, after a twelve hour burn, I wouldn't say that's bad at all...geeze any wick burned for 12 hours straight will surely mushroom!

I have one of those jars. :) I used GL's 70/30 soy/para wax tho with 2 Eco #1 and got a good MP. Probably move your wicks a little closer together. It's been a while, but I think I used 6% FO but then again, a different wax that what you're using.