CP kit???

lothrid

Jamie,

I hate the recipe and would not recommend canola as a base oil, or 33% coconut ever! You can make soap in a million things, including plain old boxes and crystal light containers. If you can get your hands on lye, coconut, olive oil, palm or lard, we can help.

You can make an awesome soap with nothing but olive and castor (which you can get at the drugstore) but you have to find the lye first. We can help!

e

Jamie,

I hate the recipe and would not recommend canola as a base oil, or 33% coconut ever! You can make soap in a million things, including plain old boxes and crystal light containers. If you can get your hands on lye, coconut, olive oil, palm or lard, we can help.

You can make an awesome soap with nothing but olive and castor (which you can get at the drugstore) but you have to find the lye first. We can help!

e

This is very good advice. I made my first soap in a lined shoebox. IMO a kit is a waste of money.

Okay, thanks for that info. I am sorry to seem annoying, but what would be the best place to purchase the items you have listed? I think I can get lye from Lowes or Home Depot. We also have some small/local hardware stores too. Thanks again!

Super WalMart carries Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Canola, Safflower, Lard, beef shortening, Crisco, even Castor Oil in the Pharmacy and Flax Seed. Except lye, where you buy Roebic Heavy Duty Crystals, 100% pure lye, you can make a great soap. No need to send off for oils when first starting, go to Wally World and Lowe's, and make soap!:yay:

Paul....:smiley2:

Super WalMart carries Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Canola, Safflower, Lard, beef shortening, Crisco, even Castor Oil in the Pharmacy and Flax Seed. Except lye, where you buy Roebic Heavy Duty Crystals, 100% pure lye, you can make a great soap. No need to send off for oils when first starting, go to Wally World and Lowe's, and make yourself some soap!:yay:

Sure, a simple 4 oil recipe you can get from Wal_Mart is easy! I can PM you a decent recipe, or post it in a new thread if you want. Someone else may give you a "supermarket" recipe too, or check the archives. A simple 4 or 5 oil batch can be a really fantastic bar of soap, a "synergy" of oils makes all the difference.:) Thanks!

Wal-Mart Soap Recipe

All these oils can be purchases at most Super Wal-Mart stores. The numbers on this recipe are really good! This is a very nice bar of soap. You might want to take a slight water discount, say like a 30 to 31% solution and take a 5.5% lye discount. Here it is in percentages of total 100% oils;

Coconut Oil............30%

Olive Oil.................24%

Crisco....................22%

Canola................... 9%

Safflower............... 9%

Castor................... 6%

This is a very decent recipe. It needs a good 4 to 6 week cure time to develop fully and harden more.

Personally, I like to add a little Great Value Pre-Creamed shortening that contains tallow and lard, and a little lard to the recipe. This conditions a bit better and adds hardness to the bar too. I would take the Crisco down to 10% and add 7% tallow shortening and 8% lard and refigure online at the Sooz ( http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp ) calculator.

Paul.....

Wal-Mart Soap Recipe

All these oils can be purchases at most Super Wal-Mart stores. The numbers on this recipe are really good! This is a very nice bar of soap. You might want to take a slight water discount, say like a 30 to 31% solution and take a 5.5% lye discount. Here it is in percentages of total 100% oils;

Coconut Oil............30%

Olive Oil.................24%

Crisco....................22%

Canola................... 9%

Safflower............... 9%

Castor................... 6%

This is a very decent recipe. It needs a good 4 to 6 week cure time to develop fully and harden more.

Personally, I like to add a little Great Value Pre-Creamed shortening that contains tallow and lard, and a little lard to the recipe. This conditions a bit better and adds hardness to the bar too. I would take the Crisco down to 10% and add 7% tallow shortening and 8% lard and refigure online at the Sooz ( http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp ) calculator.

Paul.....

About the coconut oil... on the calculator do you use 76 deg solid, 92 deg or fractionated? And I don't see what to use for the Great Value Pre-Creamed shortening that contains tallow and lard. What should I use on the calculator for that? Thanks Paul!