I just did my first pour ever

After reading and reading from this forum, I just made my first votives and tealights. So far everything has gone right, no fires:cheesy2: Time will tell if I can get the votives out of the molds. This is the best forum around. Thank you all for the help!

way to go!! I am sure everything will come out fine, you learn so much on this forum, I have lurked around for so long before getting started and I felt so comfortable once I jumped into my candles, soap and b & b. Good Job!! Let us know how everything looks and take some pics.

Hugs, Branda

Yes I have a lot of fun doing it, and yes I was able to get them out of the molds easily, but, had a little bit of trouble removing the wick pins. After breaking one votive I finally put them in the freezer and was able to release the wick pins. Then I made my first gel candle, scented, but, plain.

had a little bit of trouble removing the wick pins

My best technique with that is to "palm" the votive loosely with the wickpin down, support the candletop with two fingers and rap it sharply on the counter (or any hard surface). Chilling can make the candles (temporarily) more brittle and prone to cracking. While I sometimes use that technique for releasing the main body of a candle from the mold, for wickpins, I would rather the candle was at room temp or slightly warmer to prevent splitting. HTH :D

I tried almost everything to release the wick pin, only to have the votive crack, my last resort was to put it in the freezer for about two minutes and they slid right off. I am not sure of reason, maybe it is that I am using soy. Thank you for the advise I'll try that tomorrow

Sassy, someone mentioned in another thread that they find it easier to remove the wickpin when the votives are still slightly warm and I concur with that. The only time I have ever had any trouble with sticking and/or cracking was when I allowed the votives to become completely cooled before I remove the pins.

If you continue having problems with the votives cracking (you did not mention what brand of soy wax you are using), you may need to add a small amount of a softer wax to soften the votive blend somewhat. Some brands are quite brittle and can be tamed in this manner. HTH :)

Thank you Stella1952 for the advise. I will try again today. But the soy is already soft and really slippery (as when I am done trying to take the pins out, my hands feels like I just added lotion to them). I let them stand 4 hours as per instructions.

It is good to read and follow instructions :); however, there are little subtleties that will help you. A votive will be completely cooled in 4 hours, except in the coldest of indoor environments. Try demolding when the votives are still slightly warm (not hot or very warm) when you hold the mold in your hands. Sometimes, especially in the wintertime when the indoor temps of my drafty old house are in the 60s, votives will be ready to demold in an hour.

Have you burned any yet? How's the burn and hot throw? :)

I will definitely try that today. As for the burning, the first one I used 44-24-18z wick and there was still some wax on the sides of the votive glass, so I switch to 51-32-18z in the same type of glass votive and it was perfect. The hot throw is excellent. Thank you, again, for the advise, I will try it today.:smiley2:

If I have trouble with wick pin not coming out I just gently hit the top of pin with a hammer. I have tried hitting the top of pin on counter only to have a little hole left in counter. If you try this method (counter) just put a jar lid or something similar under it so that doesn't happen. hth