Presto Pot or Turkey Fryer?

I've read a lot about both of these and even had my husband pick me up a turkey fryer last night when he was in the city (haha!). I have not yet begin candle making, but I have been reading and reading for a while now. I finally got all of my supplies ordered and they were delivered yesterday, so I am ready to start!

So my question....should I use the fryer or should I start with the Presto Pot? I'm kind of antsy now that the time to start has finally come.

What are your experiences/preferences between the two?

And and must-know tips for a newbie? Thanks!

I've read a lot about both of these and even had my husband pick me up a turkey fryer last night when he was in the city (haha!). I have not yet begin candle making, but I have been reading and reading for a while now. I finally got all of my supplies ordered and they were delivered yesterday, so I am ready to start!

So my question....should I use the fryer or should I start with the Presto Pot? I'm kind of antsy now that the time to start has finally come.

What are your experiences/preferences between the two?

And and must-know tips for a newbie? Thanks!

Hi, I've just used the presto pot but I love it. I just make small orders out of home of jj, but I wouldn't be without one. Just make sure you use a thermometer even tho you have a temp. dial on the pot. Sorry I can't comment on the other.

I would start with the presto pot. It will hold approx 8 lbs of wax and they turkey fryer holds approx 35 lbs. Unless you are going to be pouring a lot and know for sure the wax you will be using. I have both and still use my presto for smaller jobs. Wouldn't be without either. Just a word of caution with the turkey fryer, keep your lid on while wax is melting because it will spew up and hit you in the face if not careful:p

If you use the turkey fryer you have to pour melted wax in to cover the coils the first time you use it. Thereafter just make sure you don't let wax get below coils. Then you can add it in chunks.

I use a presto pot with a spicket, pour the wax right in there, melt it according to wax and temperature (I use soy) then I add the scent at a certain temperature and pour right from the spicket.

I just have a little problem with spicket leaking a little.

Jadewicks, the instructions for the spigot are the only way to get one - they don't come that way. I have 3 Prestos and have never used a spigot for the reason that AAngels mentioned (just something else to drip). I use a ladle to transfer wax to my pouring pots. When the wax level gets on down there, I simply pick it up (the Presto has excellent handles) and pour from the Presto into the pour pot. I have never used another container inside the Presto as there is no reason to do so. The Presto is super easy to clean... when the last bit is poured out, just wipe out with paper towels and yer good to go. Remember to wipe the outside and underside, too, as sometimes little drips happen. It is absolutely no messier than a spigot would be. When ladling, one holds the pour pot OVER the Presto so that any drips go right back into the pot. It goes without saying that this is all done over a heatproof surface covered with newspaper. My Prestos set on old glass turntables from former microwaves, which is set on a thick section of newspaper. Cleanup is quick and easy.

A turkey fryer is in my future for larger batches, but for now, the Prestos work out fine. Remember that when you use the turkey fryer for the first time, you must pour premelted wax into it to cover the coils. After that time, one simply leaves enough wax in it to cover the coils. Since you haven't poured any candles yet, LL, I would suggest using the Presto as it makes smaller batches more easily. Once you get some candles made and tested, then turn your attention to the turkey fryer for larger batches. Have fun! :)

I LOVE my turkey fryer. It simplifies my pouring process! I am shopping for another one. I also have 4 prestos..2 with spigets. Have never used the spigets on them. I am currently only using one of the prestos but it runs out of wax so fast....that is why I am shopping for another turkey fryer! I need to clean off my work table and put another presto to work so I have 2 going of the same wax to stay ahead of the pouring!

I also use the presto pots. I have about 5 of them I use a couple as double boilers for my pillars and the others for soy. I don't have spigats on them though. I just pour into a large glass measuring cup that sits on my scale.

If you wanna save space the presto is the way to go.:)

I ordered all my prestos with spigots already on from ebay. They may leak a little but certainly not enough to not have a spigot. I alway keep newspaper on floor under where I pour with both my presto and turkey fryer. I would hate having to dip my wax out of them. They came from coppercreekinc.

There is another thread going about black bits in presto - I have never found any in mine. I always use a plastic spoon or my stir sticks for stirring and that doesn't scrape the inside.