Signature Scents?

CBE

To those of you who sell candles and B&B... do you carry a business "Signature Scent"? Is it something you mix up on your own? Or do you pick your favorite scent from a certain supplier... and rename it?

Just wanted to get other people's views on this.

I create my own blends. But haven't really tried to sell them yet so I couldn't tell you how good it's doing! :)

It was something I thought long and hard about, if I wanted to just rename or create and I decided to create so I'm kind of in that process right now... but I have a couple that turned out great and I can't wait to see how it goes.

I'm in the infancy stage of my business, moving online after craft fairs only, so I have a plan but have not seen how it holds up to execution yet.

I am building what I call a "Satin" line. I have White Satin and Pink Satin right now -- those are both renames of fragrances. The White Satin is FOH's Sensual Secrets and the Pink Satin is Peak's Love Spell. I figure I can get a lot of flexibility from the Satin line - I like the way it sounds and it gets me around some pesky name issues.

While I would maybe like to mix up my own scents in theory, the reality is that it will never happen. I am way more likely to use my creativity with my names, descriptions and packaging. Besides -- there are soooo many wonderful scents out there that I am happy with - I'm not compelled to blend my own (but kudos to those who do!).

That's my :2cents:

I am going to do both. I want to come up with some new names of scents I have but also want to mix a few. Seems like I want to mix with vanillas.Take my chances with that and decide what I want to mix together.

I do have a couple signature Scents but need to come up with a different name for those.

LynnS

I rename a lot of scents and blend a few and name them too. Scented started a thread awhile back with names and what scent would go with that name....I do that with a lot of mine for the different Holidays especially. One of my most favorite Christmas Memories is that my Granny and Mom (both gone now) always made Anise Rock Candy. So this year I recreated the "smell" of the Anise Rock Candy they always made and call it Old Fashioned Anise Rock Candy. My sister and I both make their Anise Rock Candy but I thought it would be so neat to have it in a candle and smell it all through the Holidays instead of just when we made the candy itself!! My brother and sister are both getting these candles for Christmas. I have one Christmas scent that didn't do that great....changed the name and now it flies off the shelf. The name sells it! Candy Cane doesn't sell that well...but rename it Snowstorm or Icicles or Blizzard or something like that and it goes like crazy! As far as a signature scent....we have Prairie Harvest. Smells just like Harvest time on the prairie.

One of the very first scents I ever poured in Soy wax was and still is my signature scent called Northern Lights. I was pouring candles and had picked up a scent that I thought smelled great but too close to Apple Pie for me and I already had Apple Pie scent so I created Northern Lights by taking this scent and adding this, that and the other. Northern Lights was born and is still carried today. Of couse I've taken a number of regular scent and tweaked them slightly to make them my own as well.

But two months ago, by the Grace Of God, I was lead to create another signature scent called, Georgia. I never know when the signature scents are going to happen. But they only happen once in awhile. Still, they do make a heck of an impresson on my customers!

Of course I also carry an array of regular scents as well but I often change the names to keep the compitition at bay.

Fire

I have a few signature scents, I blended Fo's and when I started selling more and more of those scents I just sent my blends in to a large manufacture and had them make me large batches. Saved alot of money that way especially since some of those blends required 4 different oils from 3-4 different suppliers and the shipping was killing me.To date I have about 75 custom blends and 200+ stock oils give or take. I rename and tweak just about everything so mine will hopefully be a little different than anothers. I do find that the name sells it.