wicking for 4" jar

I wick my 4 inch apothecary jar with #5 square braid wick and it burns all the way across. My candles are 100% C-3 soy wax with the USA added and a touch of the coconut oil (still playing with that). The first couple of burns you have to help the candle level out with a spoon on just the edges, but once the flame goes down a bit it's good to go. You have to burn it for 3-4 hours to get it to go all the way across. I didn't like double wicking either for the same reason. Mine is a 16oz jar, and the burn rate is about 0.1 oz per hour. Hope this helps!

3 inches is about as far as you can go with soy (especially 100%) and a single wick.

I'm only using a CDN 14 for my 3" containers - although I have not had the occasion to wick a 4" container, I have a LOT of room to go up with my wicking before a double wick would be necessary. I'll have to rummage around and find a big container to wick just for grins. :)

I know with palm wax (which needs a little more wick than does soy), I have no problems single-wicking 4"-5" pillars.

Larger containers and pillars are where the differences in wicks really start showing. Try a wick that has been treated with the acid-resisting treatment that's coreless...

The square braid works especially well with viscous waxes which is why LMM is having good success with hers.

The first couple of burns you have to help the candle level out with a spoon on just the edges, but once the flame goes down a bit it's good to go. You have to burn it for 3-4 hours to get it to go all the way across.

LLM, if you don't "help" the slight overhang at first, doesn't it "catch up" when the candle burns all the way down? Seems like if it is achieving a full melt pool that quickly, things would work out with the overhang at around the halfway mark... :)

Well I don't know how you guys can get a good clean burn with a 4in jar in soy? I use the apothocary jars and could never get close to a clean burn without tons of hang-up in all the years I've been doing this. Not even with a single 1312 and those wicks are torches. Can either of you post a picture of your burn cuz I'd love to see it?

I get a good clean burn in a 3 1/2" apothecary jar with a 60 zinc wick... no hang up. In a 4" jar I've used a 62 zinc with good results, but the jar was a hex so there was a little hangup in the "hexes". I've done this with soy and also the 6006. These are single wicked jars

I find this rather amazing. I also use the widemouth mason jars - just a tad over 3 inches and there are some FOs I can't use with one wick in these jars. No way, no how. I really would love to see a picture of one your burns that shows a clean burn with one wick - especially on a jar that is 4 inches and soy.

Unfortunately, I do not have any 4" jars left. I had purchased some at the Dollar Tree, used them all and never have seen them there again. But I do have the 3 1/2" apothecary and will post a picture of it. I quick using the soy as I just didn't like the throw as well as 6006. There is only one fragrance I've ever had trouble with and that was "Home Sweet Home"... don't know what there is in it but the zinc wick turns white and barely burns. Now all I have to do is figure out how to post a picture! give me a minute to figure that out.

OK - found this thread that relates to the pic suz posted :)

I've had the same issue as Meridith, I just didn't like how things worked out with single wicking large soy conatiners - either a torch, too hot, crappy burn, etc., but hey, if it works for you ...

I can't even get a clean burn in a jar that size - even with a torch. I have to admit that even looking at your picture, I am still skeptical that this is pure soy with that clean of a burn in that size jar. But like Henry said, if you've been able to do it, good for you. :)

I just took a picture...let me see if I can get it posted. It's not as nice of a burn as the other picture of the 3.5 inch jar as far as "clean" sides go, but my very first wholesale account (which has fizzled) was for LiveGreen, and I had to use ALL natural products. No zinc, no paper wicks (cuts down the trees you know), no paraffin coated wick. These jars, in retrospect, are a bit big and I would like to go smaller for cleaner sides, but I have like five boxes left! But the square braid burns really slow, so the jars don't get real hot, and you can let this one go for four hours until it hits the edge. If I didn't help it go even, it probably would catch up. The peach FO burns a bit weird though. Anyways, I'll get that picture up in a bit. I use C-3, USA, a bit of coconut oil, color chips, and FO.

Here's the pic!

post-6284-139458436717_thumb.jpg

post-6284-139458436723_thumb.jpg

I poured my only 4" container tonight - a big, heavy 20 oz. Italian glass jar. Scented it with white tea and ginger and wicked it with a CDN 20. Will give it a couple of days to cure and harden, then will fire 'er up this weekend.

Hopefully others will read this thread and jump in for grins to see if we can single-wick the elusive 4 incher. :D Gotta post those burn pics though, 'cause Meridith is from Missouri. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

C'mon, y'all - wannaSEEEEEE!!! :yay:

I've single wicked my 16 oz wide mouth mason jars with an HTP 1212 with great success... and funny enough, the first one I did I used white tea & ginger :)

I think it's possible to wick a 4 incher, but I've never single wicked anything wider than the wm mason. Like others have said, certain factors such as heavy FOs might come into play.

I tried for months to get a good burn in a 4" apothecary with a single wick. CD, HTP, RRD, LX, and Zinc of every size and none of them could get all the way out to the edge satisfactorily. In addition, single wicking a jar that large makes getting the wick precisely centered very critical - drift a few millimeters off dead center and you get hang up on one side. Heaven forbid it be a jar type with corners at that point as well.

So after all that effort (I really did NOT want to double wick), I ended up going with a double wick setup and never looked back. I admit it, soy defeated me in my attempts at single wicking large diameter jars :) After I developed my Candle Target centering method, things have been much easier.

I've single wicked my 16 oz wide mouth mason jars with an HTP 1212 with great success... and funny enough, the first one I did I used white tea & ginger :)

I think it's possible to wick a 4 incher, but I've never single wicked anything wider than the wm mason. Like others have said, certain factors such as heavy FOs might come into play.

The 1212 in the wm mason jar works great for most FOs. But I can't single wick heavy FOs with a 1212 or a 1312 in this jar.

Yes, lets post our pictures because so far, I've seen a jar that the person was not sure what wax they used and the other posted picture was not a clean burn - not too bad, but not clean either. Lets post pictures of SOY (not a soy paraffin blend either - just soy) in a 4 inch jar, single-wicked with a completely clean burn. So far I've yet to see it but I'm open for it and think it is great if someone is able to get a correct burn with one wick in this size jar. You know, the type of burn you'd want to achieve to sell.

And Umm Stella, I'm a west coast gal. ;)

And Umm Stella, I'm a west coast gal.

*chuckle* yeah, I know... was a leedle joke. Missouri is the "Show Me" state, and at many junctures in life, I feel a kinship with the plain-spoken folks up dere, as do many of us who need to see things with our own eyeballs. :D

Lemme let this dang hunkahunka wax cure another day or so (the cold throw is already awesome) and I'll start throwing some photos next week. And I PROMISE, no matter HOW much it makes me twitch, I will not "help" a side slide! As slow as soy burns, this is gonna take a week or two to get down the the bottom...:shocked2: Oh well - it'll keep me offa da streets...:yay: I have several candles to test burn during the next week, so I expect that infared photography will show my porch as a "hot spot.":laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Y'all have a good weekend and some of y'all go pour a BIG'Un and join us for our King-Size Wick-In!! :D

I tried a CDN 22 in my 4 inch jar and it didn't even go close to the edges. I thought after hearing the raves about CDN's and soy, that it might work. Maybe I'll try it again with a different scent (just to join in) and see what happens. On the Candle Cocoon site it is stated that a CDN 22 will burn a 4" jar all the way across with EL Soy and Vanilla Voodoo FO. I don't see how. I couldn't get it to work with a light FO.

I just took a picture...let me see if I can get it posted. It's not as nice of a burn as the other picture of the 3.5 inch jar as far as "clean" sides go, but my very first wholesale account (which has fizzled) was for LiveGreen, and I had to use ALL natural products. No zinc, no paper wicks (cuts down the trees you know), no paraffin coated wick. These jars, in retrospect, are a bit big and I would like to go smaller for cleaner sides, but I have like five boxes left! But the square braid burns really slow, so the jars don't get real hot, and you can let this one go for four hours until it hits the edge. If I didn't help it go even, it probably would catch up. The peach FO burns a bit weird though. Anyways, I'll get that picture up in a bit. I use C-3, USA, a bit of coconut oil, color chips, and FO.

Here's the pic!

I know we all tend to be really hard on ourselves when we make candles, but the average person would consider this an awesome burn. When you buy candles that are mass produced, you rarely get anything that burns remotely as nicely as your picture.

I know we all tend to be really hard on ourselves when we make candles, but the average person would consider this an awesome burn. When you buy candles that are mass produced, you rarely get anything that burns remotely as nicely as your picture.

You are SO SWEET! Thank you so much for your kind words! I was ready to burn another that had cured longer (this one was a new pour...about a week old) to see what happened, but I have faith in myself again! We've had two shows concurrently this weekend, so we've been a bit nuts. Thanks for all the support!

OK - I have some photos from Friday night and Saturday night... I apologize for the outta focus ones (forgot to turn on the closeup thingy for a few) and the lack of color correction (not going there for this).

Here we go...

I poured this 4" w x 4½" high soy candle (NatureWax C3 + coconut oil + beeswax + USA with CDN 20) on Thursday afternoon. At about 10 PM Friday night, I could cure no longer, so I snapped this picture of before...

Beginning.jpg

The correct color is natural with minor swirl of cream on the inside...

Beginning_top.jpg

I lit the candle at 10:20 PM. I remember checking it at 11:30 and midnight... Then I awoke about 6 am with it still burning slow but true. :embarasse I extinguished it and didn't take any photos until after I had cleared the full CD on my camera.

So late Saturday afternoon (at candle lighting time :)), here's what we had from Burn #1 (~ 8 hours):

...from the side...

before2nd_1.jpg ...from the top... before2nd_top.jpg

I trimmed the wick to about 3/8" and lit 'er up again about 4:30 pm.

Around 10 I remembered I was supposed to be taking pictures...

2ndburn_side3.jpg

The diet coke can gives an illustration of the size of this puppy. Below shot gives an idea of the depth of the melt pool and flame height. At some point during this series of photos, I trimmed the wick again, since the candle had been burning all evening. A little more civilized...

2ndburn_side4.jpg2ndburn_side5.jpg

Then I turned on a movie and watched it until around midnight, when memory fades...

Extinguished it this morning when I awoke about 6ish, trimmed the wick and took the following photos after burn #2 (15 hours)...

After2nd_top.jpgAfter2nd_side2.jpg

So far, I am very pleased with the burn. It got a little off-center the first night :rolleyes2, but that'll straighten out. The overhang may slip during the next burn - it was VERY soft this morning and it took ultimate self-control to leave it alone and not "help" it slide down. :rolleyes2

I am still betting this puppy will burn down clean. Will post more photos in a few days. :)

LLM, I think your burn looked plenty fine, especially for a candle of that size, too. I hope that mine turns out as well... :)

Keep us posted Stella. I'm rooting for your candle to burn good. I still question if getting a consistently good burn in a 4" inch jar, single wicked with soy is possible? I'm very skeptical. Admittedly, I don't believe I have ever tested the CDN ; just the CD's. Technology is changing, wicks are being designed specifically for soy and waxes have improved tremendously over the last few years. So who knows, but I'm still skeptical.

I got the "show me" state thing too. But being from the west coast, I belong to the "seeing is believing" club.

I think the pic of your candle burning in the dark looks cool.

Stella,

I didn't test it for very long, but going back in my notes it seemed like when I added the beeswax, I got more hangup on the sides than the candles without it in the same jars...same fo...same wick. Could be I didn't do enough testing. Anyway, let us know if the CDN 20 ends up cleaning the sides or coming close. TIA