Any Knitters Here?

Kelly

Ok I'm teaching myself how to knit with needles and without youtube I'd be totally lost but the problem I'm having is that my outside row (or I guess it's actually more of a column) is always much more loose than the others. It's the last knit of every row, I don't really know how to describe it but it makes my knitting look very bad.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Ok thanks I'll keep practicing... it's true I am trying to stay more on the loose side with the stitching because with crochet that's what I need to do to keep my stitches even so I was avoiding being too tight.

Thanks for the help!

OK another question... I've improved upon the above problem but now am having a new problem! If I knit one row, and then purl the next, when I go in to knit the next row the loops get tight! They first few loops are fine but with each one the tightness increases!! I'm wondering if I might be doing the purl stitch wrong... any ideas on this brand new fun problem? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh here I go again.......I tried to learn how to knit when I was in high school....didn't work...felt terrible. Then......I moved to LA and lived in a duplex with a girl who came from Denmark. She started knitting when she was 5. She taught me how to do the purl stitch backwards.......then my brain got it. It doesn't involve lifting the yarn over.....just slipping it over the needle....insert the needle from the top...and lift it over....in the knit stitch you go from the bottom....just reverse it. I swear....it works so much faster....then when you block your work....steam it carefully...no pressure and the stitches just seem to go together like magic. I don't know where you can find European instructions....I guess Google it. I love to knit now. Hella also taught me how to make a baby sweater without a pattern....I was amazed.....Just decrease the row on each side every other row ...then do the same on the sleeve.....when you sew them together...they fit...who knew....then I learned to read patterns. She showed me how to use 4 double point needles to do the crew neck....after that...I learned how to use a circular needle....that is the most fun in the world. You don't have to purl....just knit and knit and knit...until you reach a place where you need to decrease then change to straight needles. You get perfect even rows with the circular needles. Also.....I love to do scarves using only the knit stitch. They come out nice and thick and warm....easy easy easy. Donita

I agree with Donita, I'm an avid crocheter and when I first tried knitting in the English method about a year ago, I couldn't get it right. Especially when I'm used to holding the yarn in my left hand and not using such big motions when making stitches. I recently tried knitting again, this time using the Continental method (which I think is what Donita is talking about). When you knit this way you hold the yarn in your left hand and when you switch from knit to pearl its like your just reversing them. For me this method is also so much faster and I was also able to get my tension right doing it this way, where as before my stitches were way too lose on the end rows. Since you crochet this might be an easier way for you to learn knitting, they have videos on youtube for the continental method as well I believe.

Yep I believe Donita is doing the Continental method but it could be combined knitting. Hard to tell without "seeing it". I am self taught via online videos. I had no idea I doing combined knitting until I was trying to help someone who "throws" and she was as lost as last year's easter egg at my explanation lmao I went back and started watching videos and didn't like the english method so I went to the continental method. It took me a while to break my habits but I love the continental method now since I was a crocheter. Much more comfortable to me.

I can't knit much any more. I had to have surgery for 3 ruptured discs in my neck. I now have 2 more that causes my hand to go numb. I want to sling my needles across the room when I get on a roll and there goes my hand not cooperating lol I sure miss it too.

www.knittinghelp.com has some wonderful videos to learn from.