Incentives?

One of my customers contacted me about selling my candles at her work. I want to provide her with some kind of incentive for doing this but not sure what to do. I was thinking 20% off her order for selling $50 in products and $10 in free products for every $100 she sells. This sound like too much, reasonable, etc...?

Without knowing how you price your candles, it sounds kind of chintzy to me.

How much do you have invested in a single candle? How badly do you want business? Giving her free candles will probably mean she will work much harder for you than offering her a 20% discount for selling $50 worth of merchandise for you.

People who sell sell ready made goods (like Home Interior, etc.) and recruit others can't offer substantial discounts because they don't make the products themselves. You are in a unique position to do that.

I've had better luck offering free product than % off, but each individual is different. My ladies didn't ask for anything for doing it and I'll assume yours didn't either. What I did was wait until they made $100 in sales and then I just presented them with a box that contained one large and two small container candles. It was worth it to me and since I did that, they now have their family members wanting to sell at their worksites to "earn" free products. The nice part is I chose what they get and I always try to give scents that they haven't bought for themselves yet, but I think they will like.

Without knowing how you price your candles, it sounds kind of chintzy to me.

How much do you have invested in a single candle? How badly do you want business? Giving her free candles will probably mean she will work much harder for you than offering her a 20% discount for selling $50 worth of merchandise for you.

People who sell sell ready made goods (like Home Interior, etc.) and recruit others can't offer substantial discounts because they don't make the products themselves. You are in a unique position to do that.

Then what do you suggest that wouldn't be 'chintzy'?

I've had better luck offering free product than % off, but each individual is different. My ladies didn't ask for anything for doing it and I'll assume yours didn't either. What I did was wait until they made $100 in sales and then I just presented them with a box that contained one large and two small container candles. It was worth it to me and since I did that, they now have their family members wanting to sell at their worksites to "earn" free products. The nice part is I chose what they get and I always try to give scents that they haven't bought for themselves yet, but I think they will like.

No, she didn't ask...I was trying to think of some kind of incentive but no clue what a good one would be. Thanks for the suggestion on what you do...helpful to know!

As I said in my post, I think free candles is certainly more of an incentive than a discount.

Kandlekrazy's plan for free candles per $100 worth of sales sounds like a reasonable one. But then again, only you know if that is something feasible for you based on your cost for making candles and what you charge for them.

For people that love my candles and want to have parties I give them free candles for the parties to burn and keep or do as they wish. As for selling at work and friends I offer candles to them at a big discounts usually around 30%-40% off retail. This is a big incentive to promote my products and get candles sold.

I don't particularly like the 20% discount idea because that would mean I have to buy something from you in order to get paid for my hard work. To me that would be like working for a department store and getting paid in store credit. Giving free candles is a much better idea. Even if she doesn't meet the $50 or $100 mark, as long as there is at least one customer she brings in, it would also be good to give her a little something as a token of your appreciation.