Downsizing to 20 Scents - what to carry?

My daughter is remodeling her store and putting in a beautiful vanity. The candle portion will only hold 20 scents. I do furniture also, so this might work for me.

Now! What 20 should I carry? I think I have to have some seasonal stuff too?

These are the ones I sell a lot of and will continue to carry. Please add to my list. I am aware that areas are different and tastes are different, but it would be fun to know.

1. Downy Vanilla Lavender - I want to change this to a better Lavender!

2. Wedding Day - big seller

3. Pumpkin Crunch Cake - big seller

4. Bird of Paradise - big seller

5. Leather - big seller

6. Peppercorn - big seller

7. Hazelnut Espresso - switched from Hazelnut Coffee(NG)

8. Butt Naked - big seller

9. Spiced Cranberry - big seller

10. Rice Flowers and Shea - getting ready to carry this one

11. Nantucket Briar - going to test this

12. Cotton Balls & Blossoms - big seller

13. 7-up Pound Cake - deciding to keep or switch to Lemon Pound Cake

14. Citrus Splash - big seller

My seasonal:

Balsam

Gingerbread

Apple Jack & Peel

Mrs. Claus' Cookies

I've tried others that I probably won't carry but really liked - Cherry Cola (BCS)

So, I need six more good scents and possibly I can still carry 30 after everything is built and finished - I pray!!!

What else do you like, think I need or should carry?

TIA!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should consider a plain vanilla and probably a simple floral. Oh, and cinnamon, too.

Thank you. I do have a Vanilla, but no one is buying it, so she wants me to pull it.

I have one that smells like Red Hots and she wants to pull that one too. I think I will keep it and see how it does through Christmas, anyway.

I have a lot of scents that I haven listed because I don't think I will carry them anymore. One being Key Lime Pie. I can't sell it. Been on the shelves for months and it even has a crust!

Thanks for your input.

The vanity is finished and we see that I can carry 22 scents! I'm happy with that. We discussed rotating scents which will work well, because I get bored easy and I need to have some change!!!! :laugh2:

I like fudge brownies from Peaks. I always wanted to try a German chocolate. All the chocolate scents I have tried remind me of a tootsie roll.

Have you tried the Milk Chocolate from CS?

Lord, it is so hard to choose the 22 scents I want to carry when I read about so many I want to try! LOL!

One of the ladies from the shop next door came by to see my daughter's new vanity. She commented that it looked so much better and that she hates having so many scents to choose from. She liked how we had downsized and thinks I will sell more candles that way. Hmmmm..

I was thinking that I do the same thing. If I go into Pier 1 - they have tons. I just get tired of looking at them.

Right now I have Wildberry Mousse, Pumpkin Souffle, Mistletoe, Cranberry Marmalade, Lavender Vanilla, Spicy Apples and Peaches, This Old House, Amish Harvest, Cinnamon Red Hots, Pink Sugar, Lovespell, Cool Water, French Vanilla Coffee, Bird of Paradise and Lick Me All Over.

I will most likely trade out Cranberry Marmalade for Cranberry Chutney (I like the fresh smelling cranberries better) and the Spicy Apples and Peaches has alot of the same notes anyway. I mix the Pumpkin with the Coffee to make a Pumpkin Spice Latte. I *do* need a floral and it will most likely be Honeysuckle and a Gardenia. I also may do a Black Currant, but haven't decided. I don't really like Bird of Paradise, so I may phase that out too. I'm trying to pare down on suppliers and would like to get rid of NG scents in favor of TCS and CS (closer).

-Kristi

Thanks, LogCabinMomma!

My Gardenia and Honeysuckle are very strong and I've only sold one of each, but we are going to keep them anyway. I am going to look at others florals as well.

I was thinking of doing the Pumpkin and Coffee. I have another person that wants to carry a coffee line in their store, so I'm getting that ready.

Bird of Paradise is a big seller for me. It's because of what I named it, which is a secret! Hehehehehehhe!

Thanks again!!!

Personally, Patch has been hot this year and likely will be next year. I'd look at adding that to test it in your area, but be warned that patch prices are expected to be very high for at least year. I'd look at an amber, a sandalwood or a nag and maybe a designer fragrance or two.

Maybe more herbal scents or maybe a couple more foodies, but chocolate is very hit and miss and not likely to move as well as say a cobbler might IMO.

Looking at what tends to sell well according to your list, if you moved spiced cranberry to seasonal, you could add some another thing. Maybe something to go with your fun Butt Naked ... Lick Me All Over, Jungle Love or Monkey Farts.

I didn't see many ocean/water type of scents in there. Is there nothing of interest to you? Spring Rain might be a good one for you or Ocean or some salty sea air or Sun and Surf or whatever it's called.

I agree with Scented. Customers are always asking for Patchouli. I also sell a lot of Sandalwood blends. I have a new fragrance with both cedar and sandalwood that I am testing. OMG it smells so good. But definitely something earthy and/or aromatic could be added to your line.

Personally, Patch has been hot this year and likely will be next year. I'd look at adding that to test it in your area, but be warned that patch prices are expected to be very high for at least year. I'd look at an amber, a sandalwood or a nag and maybe a designer fragrance or two.

Maybe more herbal scents or maybe a couple more foodies, but chocolate is very hit and miss and not likely to move as well as say a cobbler might IMO.

Looking at what tends to sell well according to your list, if you moved spiced cranberry to seasonal, you could add some another thing. Maybe something to go with your fun Butt Naked ... Lick Me All Over, Jungle Love or Monkey Farts.

I didn't see many ocean/water type of scents in there. Is there nothing of interest to you? Spring Rain might be a good one for you or Ocean or some salty sea air or Sun and Surf or whatever it's called.

Thanks, Scented. I hadn't heard of "Patch".

I did read some things referring to Amber notes and thought I would look into that. I will especially do that since you stress that here.

Herbals would be good - I agree. Do you have a couple you would recommend as a starter?

I have Lick Me All Over, Monkey Farts and Jungle Love-which hasn't sold well. I'll be getting rid of Jungle Love. I absolutely hate Love Spell! LOL!

I have China Rain, Fresh Linen, 4-leaf Clover - which I like, Ocean Mist, and I really like Aromatherapy Energizing Fragrance from NG. Some of these I didn't list earlier because I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them.

My Spiced Cranberry has sold from the beginning. It's not a seasonal thing to my customers. I have a Day Care that buys it regularly, so I must continue with this one.

I agree with Scented. Customers are always asking for Patchouli. I also sell a lot of Sandalwood blends. I have a new fragrance with both cedar and sandalwood that I am testing. OMG it smells so good. But definitely something earthy and/or aromatic could be added to your line.

Girl! I would totally loose a sale so that I would not have to smell Patchouli! LOL! Totally serious about that! I'll let them buy that somewhere else.

Sandalwood appeals to me. I have been thinking of that.

I have Peppercorn, which is kind of earthy and masculine. I feel to go with only this one masculine scent, right now. I have an excellent name for it and it is poured in a two-tone slanted effect - gorgeous!

Thanks for you input. Very interesting discussion!

Hey cool on the cranberry spice then.

Patch = patchouli and there are some great blends. It's a wonderful fragrance!! :D Use it as a blender if you don't like it straight ;) Like Patchouli Rose, Patchouli Jasmine, Patchouli Sandalwood, Patchouli Vanilla, Patchouli Strawberry etc. I think you may be surprised what these are like.

Herbal scents ... Suggestions ... hmmm Basil, Sage, Mint (BCN) is phenomenal (really); Green Apple (said to help with headache relief); Spiritual Awakening (NG) is really nice; Rosemary mint maybe ... for that matter, maybe a mint would be a good pick too.

Let's see, designer scents don't have to mean Love Spell lol. You can find others. Women tend to buy a lot of Drakkar from us. Nothing wrong with burning a sexy guy lol.

It's your line, but I'll just say that there are a lot of scents I abhor pouring, but customers want it, so it gets done. I can't stand leather, baby powder scents but I'll still make them and complain the whole time. I even wrinkle my nose at a repeat customer when he comes to buy leather from us. Sometimes I even shiver lol, mostly because I know I'll have to remake the stuff.

And I'll tell you that Japanese Pear & Ginseng from FOH is absolutely too die for. We do better with it in our lotion tubes, but it's a huge pick-me-up scent.

Other herbals -- LAVENDER! (Peaks) and you can blend it with some chamomile too.

Oh and another popular floral -- Lilac.

Hope there are some suggestions you can use.

My best seller is Country Berry Hotcakes (BCS). I always have back orders and waiting lists on that one. I live in Texas too. I am also in the process of making a permanent list. So far I plan to keep:

Country Berry Hotcakes (BCN),

Birthday Cake (Flickers),

Cherry Vanilla or Cherry Almond (BCS),

Sugar Cookie (BCS),

Love Spell (BCN or Flickers)(I don't care for it, but it's popular)

Pink Sugar (Flickers),

Vanilla Crunch (CandleSource),

Watermelon (Candlesource),

Shortbread (LS),

Very Sexy for Her (Looking for a good supplier, haven't found one yet),

Strawberry Musk (Flickers),

Honey Almond Vanilla (I mix my own - the oils come from various sources),

Passionate Kisses (Flickers)

Rose Petals (BCS)

Honey Patchouli (Flickers)

Nag Champa (Flickers)

So far my holiday scents are All Hallow's Eve (BCN), Candy Corn (LS), Jack Frost (BCS), Pecan Pie (Flickers), Candied Yams (LS) - still need several more, especially Christmas scents.

I'm looking for a knock your socks off Cinnamon still. Haven't found the perfect Apple yet. Also haven't decided on a chocolate yet, nor the clean scents, masculine scents, exotic and nature scents. I like perfume dupes but they don't always smell like the real thing.

Hey cool on the cranberry spice then.

Patch = patchouli and there are some great blends. It's a wonderful fragrance!! :D Use it as a blender if you don't like it straight ;) Like Patchouli Rose, Patchouli Jasmine, Patchouli Sandalwood, Patchouli Vanilla, Patchouli Strawberry etc. I think you may be surprised what these are like.

Herbal scents ... Suggestions ... hmmm Basil, Sage, Mint (BCN) is phenomenal (really); Green Apple (said to help with headache relief); Spiritual Awakening (NG) is really nice; Rosemary mint maybe ... for that matter, maybe a mint would be a good pick too.

Let's see, designer scents don't have to mean Love Spell lol. You can find others. Women tend to buy a lot of Drakkar from us. Nothing wrong with burning a sexy guy lol.

It's your line, but I'll just say that there are a lot of scents I abhor pouring, but customers want it, so it gets done. I can't stand leather, baby powder scents but I'll still make them and complain the whole time. I even wrinkle my nose at a repeat customer when he comes to buy leather from us. Sometimes I even shiver lol, mostly because I know I'll have to remake the stuff.

And I'll tell you that Japanese Pear & Ginseng from FOH is absolutely too die for. We do better with it in our lotion tubes, but it's a huge pick-me-up scent.

Other herbals -- LAVENDER! (Peaks) and you can blend it with some chamomile too.

Oh and another popular floral -- Lilac.

Hope there are some suggestions you can use.

Oh, Patch, right! :laugh2: Okay, I might could do that if it was mixed. Actually it reminds me of my oldest sister, during the 60's, and Grand Funk Railroad - Dead on Arrival! I hate that scent! LOL!

I can go herbals. They appeal to me. Thanks.

I see Drakkar all over the place. That might a a good one.

I see what you are saying on giving the customer what they want. I do sell Leather and sell out quick. I wouldn't burn that in my house, so I see what you are saying about the Patchouli. I'll have to think about that one. lol

Lavender and Chamomile! Good one. I have the Downey Vanilla Lavender from NG and it smells like Play-doh. I have never liked it.

Lilac sounds wonderful.

I hate Sex on the Beach - absolutely! LOL!

Others I had in mind - Mediterranean Fig (Peaks), Cool Citrus Basil (LS), Cashmere (LS), Cappuccino Mocha, Kiwi, Midnight Pomegranate, Narcissus Paper White, Vanilla Macadamia Nut Coffee, Dogwood, Wedding cake, Pink Grapefruit, Nantucket Briar (getting that sample in tomorrow), Honeysuckle & Jasmine (to replace plain honeysuckle), Cherry Cola (I love that one!), Hydrangea or with a mix.

Now I need to decide on more earthy and herbals. I think I want the herbals to be mixed with something.

Thanks again!

My best seller is Country Berry Hotcakes (BCS). I always have back orders and waiting lists on that one. I live in Texas too. I am also in the process of making a permanent list. So far I plan to keep:

Country Berry Hotcakes (BCN),

Birthday Cake (Flickers),

Cherry Vanilla or Cherry Almond (BCS),

Sugar Cookie (BCS),

Love Spell (BCN or Flickers)(I don't care for it, but it's popular)

Pink Sugar (Flickers),

Vanilla Crunch (CandleSource),

Watermelon (Candlesource),

Shortbread (LS),

Very Sexy for Her (Looking for a good supplier, haven't found one yet),

Strawberry Musk (Flickers),

Honey Almond Vanilla (I mix my own - the oils come from various sources),

Passionate Kisses (Flickers)

Rose Petals (BCS)

Honey Patchouli (Flickers)

Nag Champa (Flickers)

So far my holiday scents are All Hallow's Eve (BCN), Candy Corn (LS), Jack Frost (BCS), Pecan Pie (Flickers), Candied Yams (LS) - still need several more, especially Christmas scents.

I'm looking for a knock your socks off Cinnamon still. Haven't found the perfect Apple yet. Also haven't decided on a chocolate yet, nor the clean scents, masculine scents, exotic and nature scents. I like perfume dupes but they don't always smell like the real thing.

I know what mean on the clean, exotic and nature scents. It's hard to really like a lot of them.

I do use Cotton Balls and Blossoms. I going to have to pour more today. I'm out again. That is a really nice scent!

I have Candy Corn and haven't poured that!

I think I would like:

Nag Champa

Honey Patchouli

Yes, Cherry Almond from BCS is awesome! I poured a sample and have never forgotten that.

I have a Pound Cake, Coconut Cream Pie that doesn't sell all that fast. I was pretty surprised about that. I even have the grated coconut on top! I'll keep them through Christmas and then decide. I think the Country Berry Hotcakes might make a good replacement!

How can I carry 22 and stop wanting others!!!!! :laugh2:

Thanks, TxGirl. I appreciate the input.

My second best sellers have been the Cherry Almond and the Cherry Vanilla. I think you will like the Patchouli Honey. It's earthy but sweet. I've only used the one from Flickers, but it's a winner! It's a nice fall/winter scent too.

RE: Midnight Pomegranate

I have the Midnight Pomegranate from LS. It's real good. I've only done soy votives and tarts with it. I made them strong. They have a very good cold and hot throw.

PS. I better clarify. I said Country Berry Hotcakes is from BCS. I do get mine from BCS because they carry it, but it's actually a BCN oil.

Kim

Clean Cotton is a good seller for me but your Cotton Balls & Blossoms might be similiar enough.

Baby Powder and Lick Me All over are good standard sellers. So is Lavender, Sandelwood and Patchouli.

It would be really hard for me to get it down to 20 scents. I sold about 35 votive/tart scents with about 20-30 standards and anywhere from 5-10 seasonals. I'd try to mix it up throughout the year

Butt Naked and Lick Me All Over were a couple of my winter seasonals for Valentines so was Red Hot Cinnamon. Red Hot sold better than my Fall seasonal Cinnamon and Clove. Also did Chocolate Covered Strawberries for Valentines.

I did carry a vanilla that sold really well called Vanilla Royal from SOS. It is not a standard vanilla, has a lot of buttery notes.

Christmas Dreams (also from SOS) sold so well I ended up carrying it all year round.

My second best sellers have been the Cherry Almond and the Cherry Vanilla. I think you will like the Patchouli Honey. It's earthy but sweet. I've only used the one from Flickers, but it's a winner! It's a nice fall/winter scent too.

RE: Midnight Pomegranate

I have the Midnight Pomegranate from LS. It's real good. I've only done soy votives and tarts with it. I made them strong. They have a very good cold and hot throw.

PS. I better clarify. I said Country Berry Hotcakes is from BCS. I do get mine from BCS because they carry it, but it's actually a BCN oil.

Kim

Thanks for the clarification on the Hotcakes, Kim. I love Bitter Creek!

I have the Midnight Pomegranate from BBW. My daughter bought it for a birthday gift. My husband loved the lotion and that made me think I should get that. He doesn't normally comment on scents. I have wanted to carry a Pomegranate. I don't like the BBW sprays. I don't know why, but they smell cheap to me. The lotions seems richer.

Gosh, I love Cherry Almond. Cherry Cola is awesome too! Hmmm, that might be the Cherry that I want. I have Merlot Wine, which has a strong cherry smell. I don't really care for that. Not the right kind of cherry.

I'll look into the Patchouli Honey. I don't really like the sweet smells, but I'll get a sample and see if the Patchouli balances that out.

Thanks again!

Clean Cotton is a good seller for me but your Cotton Balls & Blossoms might be similiar enough.

Baby Powder and Lick Me All over are good standard sellers. So is Lavender, Sandelwood and Patchouli.

It would be really hard for me to get it down to 20 scents. I sold about 35 votive/tart scents with about 20-30 standards and anywhere from 5-10 seasonals. I'd try to mix it up throughout the year

Butt Naked and Lick Me All Over were a couple of my winter seasonals for Valentines so was Red Hot Cinnamon. Red Hot sold better than my Fall seasonal Cinnamon and Clove. Also did Chocolate Covered Strawberries for Valentines.

I did carry a vanilla that sold really well called Vanilla Royal from SOS. It is not a standard vanilla, has a lot of buttery notes.

Christmas Dreams (also from SOS) sold so well I ended up carrying it all year round.

I think the Clean Cotton and Cotton balls are very similar. I like it a lot!

I poured a Baby Powder candle and really like that, but she doesn't want to carry it, so that's out. Do I own my own company? I'm starting to wonder? LOL!

I need to do something with my Lick Me All Over. It is a nice scent. I can't think of a rename or a color I don't have and want.

I'll look into some Sandalwood. I'm feeling excited about this scent. Going to also check into Vetiver.

You know it's hard to only carry 20 scents, but a couple of different type of stores in town want to carry candles also, so I will try to carry different scents in those places, one being a coffee shop. I just don't know how that will go as people come in looking for a particular scent and I am being selective. We shall see.

You can't carry 22 and not want others lol! If you can you have tremendous will power ;)

Hey thoughts ... keep a grapefruit around if you do soaps and B&B products. It's a very refreshing scent and people tend to really like it. I realize I'm speaking for your area and I'm not from there lol.

I am wondering if coffee scents have run out of popularity any more.

You can't carry 22 and not want others lol! If you can you have tremendous will power ;)

Hey thoughts ... keep a grapefruit around if you do soaps and B&B products. It's a very refreshing scent and people tend to really like it. I realize I'm speaking for your area and I'm not from there lol.

I am wondering if coffee scents have run out of popularity any more.

Thanks Scents. She carries B&B body products from another company. She only wants me to do candles.

I do have the Hazelnut Espresso which is excellent and is a good seller because I whip the frothy milk on top and add wax coffee beans. It is very nice.

I also do hand painted furniture, so really, a smaller line of candles will work out better - except - my start up cost is way over the top. My furniture will be the only thing to pull me out now!

But, you are right - carrying only 20 is going to be a change and very frustrating for me. I have no will power and I know it!

Grapefruit - yes! I do want that. But not plain. I want it mixed. I'll have to check that out.

Grapefruit - Ruby Red

Pink Grapefruit

Grapefruit Zest

Grapefruit Verbena (sounds interesting from Candle Chem)

What I've done is print out all the scents that my suppliers carry. This enables me to review these and not be on-line, which annoys my husband greatly!!!! I also have a list that breaks down the scents into categories: Florals, Fruits, Nature, Herbals, Spices and Misc.