C3 soy & htp wicks

1st the basics: Use C3 soy, 7 % Fo pp, 1 T crisco pp, no dye or other additives. The wicks I had tested over several months were: lx, rrd's, eco's, & htp's. I settled on the htps because they performed the best for me in my wax.,..clean & complete burn, and I felt the best FO throw. (Also these particular HTP's were Veggie-Wax coated,.. which was part of marketing my soy candles)

Ok there's the basics,....Here's my rant & dilemma...

At large office where I'd been getting great sales from for the last few months ,.. there is a 'self-proclaimed' candle conisoure there, who was initially purchasing and complimenting me repeatedly about my candles,..but just recently she impled to me that quality was lacking because she noticed that the wicks were not centered and so she will no longer be purchasing them! I explained to her why I purposely & slightly off-center these particular wicks!:mad: When I saw I wasnt getting through to her,.. I simply told her I was sorry to be losing her as a customer. Now,..I'm hearing little comments from my other customers that work in the same building that they felt they should bring to my attention that they noticed the wicks in their last candles were off center!! :angry2: I now find myself having to explain to the customers that these particular wicks curl/bend when burned and they require being placed slightly off center for that reason. But,..Its starting to look like the seed of doubt has already been planted.:sad2:.. so now what to do? Orders from the very same people who have previously raved about my candles are now doubting the quality! This work place had the highest sales up to now! I know for a fact that the best advertising you can ever get is word of mouth.. but bad word of mouth can just as quickly kill a business!

Anyone have suggestions on package wording to better explain my off- centered wicks???.... or as a last resort.. recommend another wick that doesn't Curl or need to be off-centered ,..but will perform just as well my C3? :confused:

I use HTP wicks with this wax as well. What I do it take the primed tabbed wick and twist it all the way to each end. Just enough before it starts to kink up. Then I glue the wick to the glass and use a wick clip or something to clip the wick on top pf the glass so it wont unwind as I pour. Once the wax sets up, you can clip the tip off.

When the candle burns, the wick will slowly unwind and burn on all sides of the glass so that is doesnt just curve to one side.

Let me know if this makes scense, if not I can try to take a pic.

Carrie's tip is a great one! If you decide you want to try a wick that doesn't bend so much I use the cotton wicks with C3 (I also use HTP's in my tins, so I'm familiar with both.) The cottons usually shroom on the first burn, but then usually don't after that. They burn very well in the C3 and while I know we're not supposed to...I usually burn all the way to the bottom and clean the jar. I do it when testing because I know someone out there is going to do it and I want to be sure it won't crack the glass from excessive heat.

Harley, I don't off-center my self-trimming wicks. It is better that the wick APPEARS centered (even when you know it WILL burn off-center without intervention). I TELL the customer that they will BURN off-center if they do not recenter them as they burn. If they get nasty about it burning off-center without straightening, point to the warning label which should say "keep wick centered" at some point... Then tell them you use self-trimming wicks because the idiots who don't read the warning label also don't trim their wicks either... ;):laugh2:

Carrie & Kandle,..Thank You both for taking the time to offer your suggestions!!

I think I understand your directions.,.. so I'll start by twisting N pouring some testers tonight and see how that works for me. Just curious... but will twisting the wax primmed wicks make the wax come off the wick? If I dont get the same results I guess I will then resort to searching for some cotton wicks. Thank-You Both Very Much!!

Carrie & Kandle,..Thank You both for taking the time to offer your suggestions!!

I think I understand your directions.,.. so I'll start by twisting N pouring some testers tonight and see how that works for me. Just curious... but will twisting the wax primmed wicks make the wax come off the wick? If I dont get the same results I guess I will then resort to searching for some cotton wicks. Thank-You Both Very Much!!

It may crumble a bit, but then again you are covering the wick with wax again when you pour so it really doesnt make a difference in the burn.

Whoops Stella, I was just getting things ready to start making some testers and decided to check-in here 1st and just saw your post! I promise I wasnt ignoring you,..you must have posted about the same time I did and I missed it some how. Sorry about that! Thanks for the advise Stella and especially for making me laugh!! :) I needed that!

Thanks Carrie for answering my numb-skull question! I must have had a brain cramp. That dang candle snob woman has got me stressed out & fuming!

Well Gonna gonna go twist some wicks and cry in my giant turkey/wax cooker now!! Hopefully things will look better tomorrow!! Thanks Again All!!

Ok, now you have me confused here...it doesn't take much! Harley aren't you talking a container candle? Where did the wick pins come into play? Or was it just a question about twisting the wicks when you use a wick pin in a votive or pillar?

I was thinking the same thing. wick pins in containers :confused:

For votives, I always use RRDs with my V-1/C-3 blend.

If I do make a pillar, I use square braided.

Ok, now you have me confused here...it doesn't take much! Harley aren't you talking a container candle? Where did the wick pins come into play? Or was it just a question about twisting the wicks when you use a wick pin in a votive or pillar?

kandle ... yes,..My wick issue Is with container candles.

The question about the wick pins was posted by ''CareBear''.

Carebear is having some of the same wick issues,... but with pillars.

Dont worry,.. confusion is usually a short trip for me as well!! :cheesy2: Harley

kandle ... yes,..My wick issue Is with container candles.

The question about the wick pins was posted by ''CareBear''.

Carebear is having some of the same wick issues,... but with pillars.

Dont worry,.. confusion is usually a short trip for me as well!! :cheesy2: Harley

Thanks, I figured it out after getting some sleep! It's not hard to confuse me when I'm awake...but when I'm tired...foget abouit!