Boo-Hoo!! They aren't strong!

Well this stinks! Not literally! :rolleyes2

I made a some different tarts this past Friday, and I am just now burning one for the first time, and there isn't much scent throw.

If you go right up to it, it smells like heaven. They have great smell even cold. But, to walk even 5' from it - you can't smell it anymore. I'd consider it a strong smell, when you smell them cold (or even smelling the melted wax up close).

What could that mean? It's a tart, and I just have 1 in there. Would it possibly need more than just the one?

My wax and scents came from At Wix End. I think they are a reputable place.

Maybe it's because I did them before I learned the whole volume vs weight thing, which could be. But, why would they smell "strong", if the scent was not to it's "max".

Anyway, Thanks for listening!!! :cheesy2:

Really? I always add my fo right before I have to pour (200 for my palm candles). There are just some scents that smell great either way and some that lose their potency after the candle comes out of the mold.

You've got it perfect for palm...it needs to be about 200 to fully incorporate. If you added it too low, it wouldn't always bind and you would lose scent throw (and sometimes oil would seep out of your wax).

Well, I guess it could be the curing thing. As it's only been since Friday. And being my first batch, I don't have any others to use, so I guess I need to be patient and wait more time. :)

Could also be the temperature thing. Here is what I was told to do, or so I thought. I got a lot of information that day, so maybe, I misunderstood somethings.

Heat your wax in a presto, till it reaches 200 degrees. Then you dip it out, add your color and stir. After you get that done, you're probably down to 170-180 add your scent then.

What do you think?

What do you guys add at?

I am wondering if thou hast developed ye olde candlenose...:shocked2:

This is a COMMON affliction of candlemakers (for more info on it, search the forums) where your nose becomes "blind" to whatever it has been sniffing the most.

Try leaving your home for a WHILE, then returning and see if the tart smells stronger to you. It helps to have a buddy who can evaluate throw for you... it takes days for my nose to return after being burned out n a particular scent. HTH :)

Hi,

Sorry about the delay - I had to go out of town unexpectedly!

Anyway. The wax is from At Wix End, it's a Soy. It looked like sugar granules, very fine, dusty like. I forget the name of it. I also used their scents.

They have GREAT cold scent throw - I have the leftovers Im not using up there and you can smell them just fine, there.

Could be candle nose. Though, my DH has a hard time smelling them too.

Maybe you just can't smell tarts as well as a candle?

Maybe you just can't smell tarts as well as a candle?

This is just my experience, but my melts/tarts always are much stronger HT than wicked candles. I can put 1 oz of scented wax on a burner and smell it across the house, that only happens with a select few fo's with a wicked candle.

There was a discussion on the forum a while back about the wattage of the melter having to do with the throw. Something like 15 - 25 - 40. Since palm is a higher melt point it needs a higher wattage. Maybe the melter is hot enough to melt the wax but just not enough to make it throw.

Thanks all for replying back to me!

Maybe it is just candle nose - not sure. We don't drink coffee, but maybe I could buy a small thing of it, for this problem. LOL

Judy, that is an interesting thought/idea. I might look for that thread. I use a Presto Kitchen Kettle, I set it on about 200 to melt it, and leave it on 200, until I'm done for the day. I also use a thermometer.

I think my thing is the scale issue. I havent made anymore since I heard that trick, and I think I'll make some next time, using the scale.

Anyway. The wax is from At Wix End, it's a Soy. It looked like sugar granules, very fine, dusty like. I forget the name of it.
There was a discussion on the forum a while back about the wattage of the melter having to do with the throw. Something like 15 - 25 - 40. Since palm is a higher melt point it needs a higher wattage. Maybe the melter is hot enough to melt the wax but just not enough to make it throw.
Judy, that is an interesting thought/idea. I might look for that thread. I use a Presto Kitchen Kettle, I set it on about 200 to melt it, and leave it on 200, until I'm done for the day. I also use a thermometer.

I think my thing is the scale issue. I havent made anymore since I heard that trick, and I think I'll make some next time, using the scale.

Forgive me, but it's foggy here today... I am confused...

LoveCountry...

First - are you using soy wax or palm wax? The MP of palm wax is higher than soy. Unless one has a high wattage melter, the palm will not get hot enough to throw well...

Second - you are making tarts, right? To use in a melter? Judy is talking about the wattage of the tart melter, not the Presto used to melt the wax before pouring...

What scale issue? Are you not using a scale to weigh your ingredients? :confused:

AWE use to sell a wax they called soy but it looked just like Palm. So who knows what you really have.

Yup just from her description, sounds like palm to me, too. Never have seen a soy that was like sugar, in granules, but I have seen palm like that. I hope she gets it straightened out. Soy and palm are two different worlds, as I've discovered. ;) And hot throw can be greatly affected depending on which wax, how hot FO added, etc...

Hello!

I'm not sure of the wattage of my tart melter. It's an electric one. Next time I go upstairs I'll see if I see a wattage on there.

Wow, I'm lost about the Soy Vs. Palm. Since coming here, I just found out there was a "Palm". The lady at AWE, is the one that gave me the Soy Wax, or so I thought it was. It wasnt marked - it was just in a big clear bag, with a price sticker on it. In looking at their website, I either got the "Homegrown Soy" or the "Homegrown Soy/Palm Blend". Wish I could say which one, but since Id never done this before when I went in there, I just asked them, and they told me which to get.

As far as the weighing thing. No, I didnt weigh my wax or oils. I measured them in a measuring cup and a shot glass. As, that is what I was told to do at AWE. But, Ive since figured out, that wasnt right ---- :) I'm going to actually "weigh" it next time.