Wicking a Balmoral Jar

Hello!

I'm new to candle making and I want to make candles for my family. I want to make candles in a 9 oz. balmoral jar and I'm using GL 70/30 wax and 6% scent oil. I was wondering if you would be willing to share what wick you use for this type of jar and in your experience has it been hard to find a good wick for this jar? Thank you in advance for your knowledge and help!:rolleyes2

I don't use that wax but I do use a soyblend and I found after testing and testing some more that zinc wicks work wonderfully in this size balmoral. Start out with a 52 zinc and if that doesn't work, go up one size. The trick to this jar is finding a wick that can melt the wide middle of this jar and not be too hot as the jar narrows down.

Groovy Chic, I've been testing the 9oz. balmorals for a few weeks now and almost had it right with the CD's. but like you said, when it's hot enough for the wide part, it seems too hot for the bottom narrow part. I'm just not comfortable with that, so I was about to give up on them.I used to use zinc wicks in my jelly jars when I first started out in 2000. Matter of fact I'm almost sure I have some at the storage unit. :yay:

I had to leave candle making during 2006 and feel like I'm starting all over again, which of course I am.......lol! I just love the balmorals, after I get the wicking done on the 9oz. I'll start testing on the 16oz......we just never stop do we? :laugh2: I'm sick of looking at the jelly jars after so many years. If you don't mind my asking, how do you label the balmorals? I was thinking a round label on the lid or a hang tag.

Thank you for your advice on zinc wicks.

Gail,

Illinois

Thanks Groovy Chic! Gail164, For the labels, I was thinking of just having a circle label on the lid. I think a label on the jar would be hard since the jar is so curvy and it might scrunch up the labels...But that's just my opinion though. Thanks for your help all!

Hey I am also testing on the 9oz balmoral. It was suggested for me to use HTP 83 for this particular jar. I just ordered some smokeless zink wicks from WSP to try in this jar also. Lets keep in touch to compare notes.

Hi Tasha,

I will definitely let you know how my balmoral jar testing comes out. Thanks for your help!

I also found this place that's selling 8 oz. balmoral jars for only .75 cents each (lids included). http://www.pandacandle.com/index.cfm

I'm not sure how high the quality of the jar is, but I requested a sample of their jar. Hopefully, the do samples.

I too will let you know how the testing turns out too! Can't wait to start using the new jars.....if I ever get the wicks right! Anyhow, I think a clear round label with some elegant fonts would look good on the Balmoral jars. I know my regular rectangle labels won't work, as CandleGrl said. Thank you CandleGrl for the web site, Please let us know when you get your sample....

Gail,

Illinois