Wax Melter

I would like to buy one of the Presto Kitchen Kettles to make into a wax melter as per the instructions on this site. I have found a company who ships these all over the world for a reasonable fee but I am concerned that the UK voltage of 240 Volts may prove a bit too much to run the appliance. I cannot find a suitable step-down transformer hefty enough to run it. Can anyone tell me if they use one of the Presto pots in the UK or any other part of the world supplied with 240V and if they work satisfactorily, or if anyone has converted something else to use I would be interested to see how they did it. I am tired of using my double boiler and want something a little more sophisticated! :)

Thanks,

Pokle :)

Hi

DON'T PLUG IT IN TO 240V !!!! You'll fry it.

This is what I was worried about... and yes you are right, a transformer for that kind of load is not cheap at all which makes the whole thing an expensive device.

Is there a similar thing to the Presto Kettle available in the UK I could convert? I looked at slow cookers, but they didn't seem to be all that controllable - low, med & high settings :confused:

PS - I've not bought the Presto melter yet as I suspected it was not going to be that simple! :(

I've not found a comparable product. As you say, all the UK cookers/basters/rice cookers just have low/med/high settings.

After a couple of years goofing about with larger and larger pots, I finally quit the Heath Robinson thing and bought a commercial 220v melter from the US. Cost me an arm-and-a-leg, but it's a lot nicer to look at!

Mr Chips

After a couple of years goofing about with larger and larger pots, I finally quit the Heath Robinson thing and bought a commercial 220v melter from the US. Cost me an arm-and-a-leg, but it's a lot nicer to look at!

I bet it did! :shocked2: but can see the attraction over them. The people that sell the prestos and to the UK, I am not sure if they have considered the voltage differences but said they sold two to the UK last week and have since contacted the buyers on my behalf to see what they do about running them on UK supply. He is waiting to hear back from them, though I have a feeling he may be a bit upset if the message back is they plugged them in and they went bang!

I'll see what the response is and see if I can come up with an alternative idea :)

Ta!

Pokle :)