Coconut Shell Idea.....

DonC

I purchased 200 of these shells a month or so ago thinking they were "neat" and after reading fire safety concerns on this board and elsewhere, I have decided not to use them as candles.

What does everyone think about using them as air fresheners for bathrooms, closets, dresser drawers, etc. I was thinking about pouring them with "clean" smelling soy with scents like Baby Powder, Heaven, etc. They hold about 4.5 ounces (liquid) of wax and I was thinking about selling them for $4.00 each.

I buy my wax locally, so my cost doesn't include the terrible shipping costs.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.........:smiley2:

Did you happen to check the place you bought them from to see if they treated them to make sure they can be used for candles? I would think you could mod podge them.

I don't think the modge podge would make them fireproof! Basically all the modge podge does it keep the oil from absorbing into the container, like terra cotta, or when you have a seamed tin etc.

I would never ever sell any candle in a wooden container-yikes!

I'd really be afraid to pour wax into one of those and sell them even without a wick, dontcha just know that some ding dong will put it on a warmer or something? :rolleyes2

I think you could use them like the others suggested, as just little dishes for tropical smelling goodies, such as potpourri or soapies etc.

I don't think the modge podge would make them fireproof! Basically all the modge podge does it keep the oil from absorbing into the container, like terra cotta, or when you have a seamed tin etc.

:laugh2:i had to laugh at that one...but you are right, you never know what someones gonna do

THANKS ...... for all of the suggestions!!!

Just FYI, this is the description of the product where I bought them. (C&S):

"These unique shells are perfect for candles, soap dishes, bath salts, candy dishes, bowls, or anything that needs a tropical feel. Standard size is oval approx. 4" x 5". These are very consistent in size and shape. Hold approximately 6 oz of wax. We recommend lining the shells with aluminum foil before pouring so that your wax will not leak out of any cracks that may be in the shell.

Soap dishes, melts packaging, and fresheners it will be!!!

Thanks again...........:smiley2:

Sounds like your in the same boat as me! I only have about 40 left. I purposely tried to catch them on fire and mine didn't catch fire at all and I have wicked candles in them...but they do leak out of small holes and they are not stable enough, so I didn't ever push them. I put them in a yard sale I had and none sold (I live at the beach and thought they would go over big here??) They just are not big sellers, but I do like the idea of using them as packaging for tarts. Or maybe just include a free coconut shell with every 4 tarts purchased (and don't tell them, or they may say "please don't send the coconut shell!" That will get rid of the dang things!