Mr Doright mold

beloved

I have got a problem with the 4# mold. It is leaking out the bottom. I tighten it up and it gets tight on the ends and it still leaks from the middle on the bottom of the mold. I loosen it up and it leaks for one end to the other. I got it in the coop in the spring I think. any hooo Can anyone give me some advice at what to do to it or helppppppppp please

JO

Yes I have it put together right the bottom goes into the grove. Then when I pour the soap it bluges in the middle and today it looks as though it has come out of the grove in the middle on the bottom but still in the groves on the end. Do you know what i mean?????? Maybe if I can cut the ends alittle smaller the bottom part will stay where it belongs. My 2pounder is perfect. So I know it is in the cut I think. Thanks for answering. if you have an idea would be glad to hear it.

What I had to end up doing with my do rights is putting a clamp in the middle. I know a lot of people on here like them but personally I can't stand them. I started out with them but have phased them all out as they are a PITA in my opinion and I get better results with other molds. :tiptoe:

I got some of those molds in the co-op too and I remember people had problems with the fit of the pieces.

I know from the ones that I got the molds imo were made too quickly and the fit wasn't right. I hope you can get it to work. I still haven't used mine from the co-op because I just don't want to have to mess with the bad fit and possibly ruin pounds of soap and have a big mess to clean up. The kids have been using them as crayon boxes.

At least the material will hold up to what the boys can throw at em...LOL

Has anyone contacted the guy who makes these? I think he would want to know and secondly, he should make it right. I was looking at those molds (thinking of trying cp--still thinking and thinking....) but anyway, I would call him about this. I was watching the latest coop but I backed out. Now I am reading this I am thinking it was the best decision, but I hate seeing others done wrong. He should correct them and I think he was under the gun, I know they said he had a lot of personal problems, but it should not show in the quality of the products.

Its not just from the co-op, sadly I had a mold of his from a long time ago...but then bought a different one from the co-op to see if it was better work and try out the different mold. Still sticks...and continues to stick. ( thats just 1 of the complaints people ( some) have.)

I bought his molds a couple of years ago. They are not pleasant! They warp/soap sticks/just not practical at all. :( It was a total waste of money in my honest opinion. I LOVE my handmade wooden log molds. I'd rather line (which I can do very quickly) then have to deal with bad molds.

I was eyeing that co op too and am now very happy I didn't purchase one. I agree with everyone else, contact the manufacturer for a refund or replacment. On the sticking issue, I've read that mineral oil works for that:confused: and to think I was considering this material for my new molds...stayed with wood after all.:yay:

The husband works at a company that uses that same material all the time and was amazed at the price he was charging for what you can get the material for.

He said they probably cost a couple of bucks to actually make and when he told the guys at work that use that stuff, they completely thought they were in the wrong business if he was selling them for what he does.:lipsrseal

One of the ones that I did use for m&p soap I couldn't get the FO scent out for days. I washed and soaked the thing for hours then finally after letting it sit out for about a week the scent was gone. I used just standard FO from bitter creek that I had used tons of times before in all other kinds of molds and that was the first time the scent stayed like that.

I'm just glad that I didn't loose a ton on money...I've lost more on bad FO suppliers then this so....just par for the course in finding suppliers for things...:tongue2:

I was probably one of the first people to ever speak of the Do Right molds.

For that, I should be whipped with wet spaghetti and thrown into the dumpster. Just like those molds. CRAP. I bought two from eBay and sold them both before I even used them, because of the small bar size. Now I read all about sticking, they don't assemble correctly and all that jazz.

I absolutely LOVE the ease of working with with HDPE, I'd order a mold from Jeff in a second, as his craftsmanship shines through. But I have decided to stick with wood molds, as the do the best job for me personally in my soapmaking adventures. The fast gel and insulation that wood offers in a mold cannot be compared with in my soaping experiences. When I do anything with a plastic mold, the gel is never consistent. It all depends on what type of soaper you are, and what you are expecting in a finished product, IMO.

That being said, I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my TOG mold.

I just got it yesterday. It's a beauty! The sides of this mold are probably at least an inch thick, and it is sanded to perfection. Gorgeous mold, I might even put it in the middle of my dining room table as a centerpiece. :laugh2:

Damn, I've got issues!

This is the mold I just received:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7475923

I was probably one of the first people to ever speak of the Do Right molds.

For that, I should be whipped with wet spaghetti and thrown into the dumpster. Just like those molds. CRAP. I bought two from eBay and sold them both before I even used them, because of the small bar size. Now I read all about sticking, they don't assemble correctly and all that jazz.

I absolutely LOVE the ease of working with with HDPE, I'd order a mold from Jeff in a second, as his craftsmanship shines through. But I have decided to stick with wood molds, as the do the best job for me personally in my soapmaking adventures. The fast gel and insulation that wood offers in a mold cannot be compared with in my soaping experiences. When I do anything with a plastic mold, the gel is never consistent. It all depends on what type of soaper you are, and what you are expecting in a finished product, IMO.

That being said, I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my TOG mold.

I just got it yesterday. It's a beauty! The sides of this mold are probably at least an inch thick, and it is sanded to perfection. Gorgeous mold, I might even put it in the middle of my dining room table as a centerpiece. :laugh2:

Damn, I've got issues!

This is the mold I just received:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7475923

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: yeah a wooden soap mold as a centerpiece clearly shows signs of some sort of issue...lol at least place some candles beside it...:laugh2:

I have to agree with you on the wood molds. I love them. I have a couple of do rights and some others that I'm not so impressed with. I have a Tog which to be honest I haven't made my mind up about. :tiptoe: I've had several custom built which I love, love, love......

IMO wood is the way to go. I was thinking when I made my first GM recipe that I wished I had an HDPE that I liked really well (don't have one) but put it in one of my wood molds (a triple log) and put it outside (we're in the 40's and 50's) and it worked great! :yay:

You might be sick of me saying it but ItsmeJeff has great molds and they don't leak and they come apart like a dream. You can send him a pm if you are interested. http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53612&highlight=mold

Kelsei's also makes a great quality mold. My experience with these kind of molds and sticking is that the batches will stick the first few times you use them and then the bars pretty much start popping out with more use. I've heard some say you could pam spray helps.

I have one of the larger doright logs and, yup, it bows in the middle if you tighten too much, leaks if you don't. I think it's because he got cheap and uses a thin piece for the bottom. It just doesn't work well with the thicker sides pieces with the longer molds.. I've opted to keep the screws tight and use rubberbands to stop the middle from bowing.