wicking 3" feathered palm pillars

Hi Guys,

I've been at this for a few weeks now, trying to wick my 3 inch palm pillars to leave the walls standing.

I tried a CD16 which was too hot- the walls were too thin and began to crumble by the 4th burn.

Then wicked down to a CD14, it was burning okay until Friday- the walls started to crumble at the top, even though closer to the base it was still very thick.

I began turning it every 15 min or so once Stella suggested that.

Should I wick down to a CD12? To me, that seems too small.

I have samples of HTP wicks as well as premiers.

I'd like to get this down so I can start offering them for sale but first want to ensure that the tests come out with a decent wall left over.

Thanks a bunch!

Violet

My 3" pillars leave a 1/4" shell with a CDN 14.

How tall are your pillars? The taller they are, the thinner the tops may become after repeated burns. ;) I generally stick to 6" because my wicks are 6" long... You are trimming your wicks, right. Vi?

We have made 8"-10" before and the tops do get thin on those... we also found that burning so deep in a pillar makes it very easy to forget to extinguish it! ;)

My 3" pillars leave a 1/4" shell with a CDN 14.

How tall are your pillars? The taller they are, the thinner the tops may become after repeated burns. ;) I generally stick to 6" because my wicks are 6" long... You are trimming your wicks, right. Vi?

We have made 8"-10" before and the tops do get thin on those... we also found that burning so deep in a pillar makes it very easy to forget to extinguish it! ;)

They aren't very tall- I only got a 10 lb bag of the wax so I poured half, so it's like 3" tall (the mold is 6" tall but I only filled it halfway). And yes, I'm trimming to 1/8 an inch. Each burn has been 3-4 hours. :( IDK? I might try the CD12s?

Thanks guys...